The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tssf_skye
Hey:smile: so here's my dilemma..

I got BBCC at AS - I messed up, didn't work hard enough etc. I dropped chem and have now been predicted BBB in Biology, Geography and English.

I really want an ABB prediction - and to get these grades to get into a good university for Biological sciences.

In Biology i am 20 ums off an A.
In English I am 5 ums off a B. (1 mark of f an A and a D in my units.. yeah, I didn't revise as I thought i would drop it which was smooth :tongue:)

Problem is, to even consider predicting me an A In Bio my teacher wants me to do a mock paper now and get an A and I'd be doing 3 bio exams in the summer which I'm scared I'll fail if I have too many?

The other alternative is to retake my D in English as I'm already 1 mark off an A in an exam which is 50% of the AS. However, i don't know if I would be predicted an A which is two grades up?

Any advice? And has anyone done a of of exams in the summer and succeeded? Thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the mock exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 321
Original post by nukethemaly
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

WOW...that was enough to get my butt off my bed and start revising! What University are you heading off to now, if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
Oh, it is nice to see an I'm So Academic thread again. Good memories.
Definitely possible went from ADEE, to AAC, basically retook the whole of Maths and Physics Alevel in year 13 again. Work hard from the word go, and just stay focused. Stay on top of everything go over till you get it, there are millions of sources on the webs and books. Don't just stick to your textbooks, use literature from other sources to help.
Reply 324
Hey

I got DDE in Yr 12 and am now currently doing my A2. Thank the lord, the 6th form let me in.

I want to do paramedic science at uni and I am limited to choosing unis bcos of my predicted grades. They are CCD. I am going to retake 4 modules from AS to get B's minimum.

Do you think I can get through this year without messing up???

Help!!!!
Reply 325
Original post by Dursty
Retook a year to go from CCEU to A*AAab at LSE

No ****? I got CCDE, repeated AS and got AAAC in summer, predicted A*AAa! What course at LSE?
Reply 326
Original post by rv6
Hey

I got DDE in Yr 12 and am now currently doing my A2. Thank the lord, the 6th form let me in.

I want to do paramedic science at uni and I am limited to choosing unis bcos of my predicted grades. They are CCD. I am going to retake 4 modules from AS to get B's minimum.

Do you think I can get through this year without messing up???

Help!!!!

You're in a good position, because the grade requirements to do an FdSc in Paramedic Science aren't too high. I got BCD at AS, worked really really hard towards my A2s to try and improve my grades. I was expecting to get A/A* (PE), C (Bio), D (Psych). Completely screwed up my big PE exam and got CCD at A2. I still got in and am now in my first year of being a student paramedic.

Obviously you need to work to improve your grades where possible, but with the course you want to study, having fantastic grades isn't the most important thing. You're applying to a course that can have up to 40 applicants per place. So the best advice I can give to you personally, is to make sure you have an outstanding personal statement. It has to make you stand out. And if you get interviews, prepare for them beyond belief. I can't begin to explain how competitive it is, and although grades are obviously important, they aren't everything. I know that probably isn't what you were expecting to hear, but as long as you're grades are okay, they won't cause a problem. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice.
I was estimated a CDU at AS ended up with a BCC and finally with A-Level a BBD...
Reply 328
Original post by KC003
You're in a good position, because the grade requirements to do an FdSc in Paramedic Science aren't too high. I got BCD at AS, worked really really hard towards my A2s to try and improve my grades. I was expecting to get A/A* (PE), C (Bio), D (Psych). Completely screwed up my big PE exam and got CCD at A2. I still got in and am now in my first year of being a student paramedic.

Obviously you need to work to improve your grades where possible, but with the course you want to study, having fantastic grades isn't the most important thing. You're applying to a course that can have up to 40 applicants per place. So the best advice I can give to you personally, is to make sure you have an outstanding personal statement. It has to make you stand out. And if you get interviews, prepare for them beyond belief. I can't begin to explain how competitive it is, and although grades are obviously important, they aren't everything. I know that probably isn't what you were expecting to hear, but as long as you're grades are okay, they won't cause a problem. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice.

Hey that's cool!!!

So I was just wondering, what could you include in your statement to make you stand out the crowd?
Reply 329
Original post by ross95
No ****? I got CCDE, repeated AS and got AAAC in summer, predicted A*AAa! What course at LSE?

best of luck mate, straight econ :smile:
Reply 330
Original post by Dursty
best of luck mate, straight econ :smile:

Woahhh what did you get at AS? Did you apply with achieved grades? I thought straight economics at LSE was like impossible to get in to without A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* ahah, your application must have been amazing! any tips?

You give me so much hope! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Got CDD at AS and I'm beginning to think I should have retook the year. It's gonna be really tough with all these resits.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tutankhamun
Got CDD at AS and I'm beginning to think I should have retook the year. It's gonna be really tough with all these resits.

I'm doing 9 resits on top of my a2 this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
I'm doing 9 resits on top of my a2 this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

9?!?! Are you going to be able to cope? :redface: Im doing 3 resits and already stressing about those..couldn't possible do 9 though!
Original post by ItsJustMe17
9?!?! Are you going to be able to cope? :redface: Im doing 3 resits and already stressing about those..couldn't possible do 9 though!

I do focus on as stuff during weekends and a2 during weel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
I do focus on as stuff during weekends and a2 during weel

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohhh okay :smile:
Hi, I got CDEE!! at AS and ended up getting AAC in the end... I am now at manchester and getting fastracked by BB's for their intern programmes!! IMAGINE:K:

It was a long journey tbh, as long as you know you want better grades and work hard it will pay off!!
Reply 337
Resitting biology and chemistry D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImAz
Resitting biology and chemistry D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Resitting Economics (one unit) and History (both units) D: lol
Reply 339
At AS I got BCCU
At A2 I got A (couldnt get A* when I did Alevels) BBC
Just didnt revise ever in my academic life until A2

Quick Reply