The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to the Lancaster residential in December?
Yay im the first asian. Ok im korean whos doing IB. Im particularly interested in theoretical physics. It seems like many of u did a lot of extra works. Ive done just teaching my peers and stuff. Can teaching my physics class instead of teacher count as a good extra curricular activity?
Ive sent my app to oxford, UCL, imperial, Edinburgh and st andrews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 522
Invited, don't think I can go though. ;L Is it Cumbria only?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiruel
Invited, don't think I can go though. ;L Is it Cumbria only?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure. I was invited for getting nominated for Ogden Trust Cumbrian physicist of the year, and I'd imagine that other counties would have there own residential at other universities. I wouldn't know though.
Reply 524
Original post by OliverG
Hi, i'm Oli.

I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths this year.

Looking to Apply for Nottingham for Medicinal Physics (AAA), and Durham (A*AA) for Physics with Chemistry, aswell as Notts again as a potential insurance offer for chem and molecular physics (AAB), aswell as liverpool for Physics with Medical Applications (AAB). And then Sheffield Chemistry on an ABB to help me sleep at night.

Spent a long time considering Oxford in my Sheffield slot, but their course was just awful in my opinion. I mean, I highly doubt I would put Sheffield even as insurance, but just having it there, knowing that come March the proverbial could be spewing itself at the fan and offending the monkeys is sort of comforting. Way too much maths at the Oxford course. Not complaining about it because i'm bad at maths (that's where my A* could be) but because I don't think that in reality Physics is really 65% maths and 35% actually understanding Physics. Interestingly, Nottingham is ranked higher than Oxford in the times guide for Physics. So I put Durham in my A*AA place instead. Came down to the old cliche of my head saying Oxford, purely because it's Oxford, (and being able to say I turned them down) but my heart saying Durham, because the place and the course was great.

I sent my application off last Friday, and am really, really freaking out about it, and I don't know why!

Do you think there are genuinely any far better unis than Nottingham for Physics who would offer an AAA, both in terms of general reputation and course reputation?

I'm stuck thinking that i'm somehow underselling myself by realistically aiming for Nottingham when 3 people in my year (of 75. Small sixth form, but we are the largest year we have ever had. I do prefer it that way) are applying to Oxbridge, and they are looking at the same grades at me. And then I realise that i'm doing a difficult course like Physics (woo difficulty!) and they are trading up to Oxford with their courses, and i'm trading down unis for a better course, so any advice to calm my nerves would be a massive help! My head of year already had to both laugh and yell at me to fully send off my application, because I was too nervous to click send :smile:

I was thinking about St. Andrews but it seems a bit too far from home, and at least at nottingham i'm aware of at least 1 person I know who wants to apply there (not affecting my decision, but I class myself as the introvert physicist, as opposed to the manic crazy hair physicist, and knowing people would be nice.)

Best of luck to you all, and if any of you may end up in the same neck of the woods as me, I look forward to seeing some of you!

An amazing university for physics, although it may not be talked about a lot is UCL. Its average offer is AAA-AAB, and it is on par with Durham, and may even be better. The only universities in my opinion that are actually better than UCL for physics is Imperial and Oxbridge
Original post by PhysicsLeopard
I will be so impressed if you manage to forget about it once you've sent it off :tongue:

brb checking my emails for the millionth time please somewhere love me

Well it is done now my school should send it off Tuesday or Wednesday. Then all I have to do is wait, or check my email just one more time :smile:.
I am applying to Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.
Original post by Moist Penguin
Well it is done now my school should send it off Tuesday or Wednesday. Then all I have to do is wait, or check my email just one more time :smile:.
I am applying to Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.

I did my headstart residential course at leicester! all the students seemed to really like it :smile: and there was a really cool lift in one of the buildings...
Reply 527
oh yeah they're really casual, you just have a look round the halls and the physics department, and we did a quiz and stuff (they gave us pizza!) and then they split you into little groups for a bit where you have a little discussion in a room on a physics topic, and work through a problem together. It was fun!

applied for the exact same thing last year, physics/natural sciences. decided to take a gap year if i got the grades i wanted, so i could try to improve my application and have another shot at cambridge :smile:

oh right awesome, sounds pretty good then!

ahh i see, well with your grades im sure they'll see the error of their ways and accept you this time :smile:
I did my headstart residential course at leicester! all the students seemed to really like it :smile: and there was a really cool lift in one of the buildings...

Is Leicester nice? I didn't make it to the open day but thinking of applying there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 529
Original post by King Hotpie
I'm not sure. I was invited for getting nominated for Ogden Trust Cumbrian physicist of the year, and I'd imagine that other counties would have there own residential at other universities. I wouldn't know though.

Just got my invitation for the same reason. (I'm one of the weather balloon guys, if you remember the presentation at awards ceremony.) Looks like I can attend now, so see you there I guess! :biggrin:
Original post by furryface12
Is Leicester nice? I didn't make it to the open day but thinking of applying there :smile:

yeah, the experiments were fun and the departments seemed cool! didn't really get a feel for the uni because it was out of term time, but was still nice :smile:
Original post by Jozden
oh right awesome, sounds pretty good then!

ahh i see, well with your grades im sure they'll see the error of their ways and accept you this time :smile:

hahah aw, cheers :smile: i'm trying not to get toooo attached to it :colondollar: and failing miserably
yeah, the experiments were fun and the departments seemed cool! didn't really get a feel for the uni because it was out of term time, but was still nice :smile:

Good, I really like the look of the course! Where else are you looking at/ have you applied to?
i didnt put any extra curricular activities(e.g. basketball) thats not related to physics in my personal statement,i had no space,and i didnt think it will be relevant,
just looked at the selection criteria from bristol and it says they also look for people who can bring different things to their uni like sports!LOL
Original post by spiruel
Just got my invitation for the same reason. (I'm one of the weather balloon guys, if you remember the presentation at awards ceremony.) Looks like I can attend now, so see you there I guess! :biggrin:

I remember that presentation! Was really impressive, I get it worked wonders for your personal statement! You probably won't remember me; I was the one in glasses that got the first award and almost tripped on the steps on the way to collect it :laugh:. I'm really looking forward to it, the draft programme looks really good, plus the invite arrived just in time to put on my Cambridge SAQ which was a nice bonus :biggrin:
Good, I really like the look of the course! Where else are you looking at/ have you applied to?

have applied to cambridge/durham/imperial/st andrews/edinburgh :smile:

:eek: Wow nice choices! Would love to be able to go to any of them, might apply to Edinburgh but not the others :smile: Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:eek: Wow nice choices! Would love to be able to go to any of them, might apply to Edinburgh but not the others :smile: Good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you too! :biggrin:

Nearly identical to my choices! Just warwick instead of imperial. Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm Emily (yes I'm a female), I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Bath, Bristol and Surrey. I'm currently studying maths, physics, English and French (for AS I studied government and politics too.) I'm predicted A*A*AA. I went back a year a couple of years ago so I know a fair bit about the university entry procedure now but haven't actually sent my application off yet. I'm getting quite nervous about if I'll get any offers or not :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending