The Student Room Group

Is anyone else exceptionally proud to be European?

Sure, I'm proud to be British but being a European means much more to me (politics of the EU aside).

Almost everything that matters in the world started in Europe. The flame began with the Greeks (countless scientists,philosophers and writers) and was passed to the Romans who developed (flat roads, architechture, technology etc) and civilised the world.

Look at the Enlightenment that began in Europe. Da Vinca, Einstein, Wittgenstein and others too numerate to mention.

How can you not be proud to be part of this grand enterprise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I'm from where civilisation started sooo I reckon that trumps that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Nope.
Reply 3
That's all good although on the other hand we did perpetrate a good amount of the major atrocities in world history
Reply 4
If you leave the modern geographic politics aside; isn't being European essentially meaningless? Why is it any more credible to be from Denmark than from Spain than from Italy? None of those things really have any link to the Romans or Greeks.

If you're proud of being European because of Archimedes or Cicero, I'd suggest that you're extremely desperate.
Reply 5
I certainly am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
If you leave the modern geographic politics aside; isn't being European essentially meaningless? Why is it any more credible to be from Denmark than from Spain than from Italy? None of those things really have any link to the Romans or Greeks.

If you're proud of being European because of Archimedes or Cicero, I'd suggest that you're extremely desperate.

stop being so rational!!!

i'm not 'proud' of being European but i'm happy that I live on this continent.
Reply 7
I'm proud of Europe and its outstanding achievements but I don't really feel 'European'.
Fairly certain I was born in the completely wrong area of the world. Neck and neck as to whether I feel more proud about being British (Born and raised here all my life), or more pride for Japan (A country I have no direct connection to whatsoever, yet would happily naturalise too being a citizen of).

As for Europe, I honestly feel indifferent to it.
I'm not really 'proud' of anything that I didn't accomplish. It's just a coincidence that I'm European, and doesn't mean that much to me.
Reply 10
British people aren't really European. Having been in the US a while people here talk about Europe I just think to myself "that's nothing like back home". In reality we are European because we are a part of that continent but culture-wise because we are separated by the channel so is the culture. Either way its good to be from the UK and Europe.
Reply 11
Original post by DivinityA
Neck and neck as to whether I feel more proud about being British (Born and raised here all my life), or more pride for Japan (A country I have no direct connection to whatsoever, yet would happily naturalise too being a citizen of).

I would let the living memory of the unspeakable war horrors subside a bit before being too proud of Japan.
Original post by Clip
I would let the living memory of the unspeakable war horrors subside a bit before being too proud of Japan.

Of course, only the very extreme right can be proud of what Japan subjected many to during its war time efforts.

Suffice to say, I'm certainly not proud of the war crimes committed. Nor am I proud of the way it's been handled since.
I think that European ideas of freedom, democracy and moderate capitalism are really just humanitarian ideas which happened to originate (not even wholly) in Europe, and as such, should be recommended everywhere.
Original post by Clip

Because they are part of the European Enterprise. Towards all the beautiful things that Europeans have created.

It isn't just Archimedes and Cicero but (as I said) the countless other great individuals from Europe. It is mind boggling how many ideas/invention/art/literature came from Europe.
OP, are you exceptionally proud to be a racist?
Original post by felamaslen
I think that European ideas of freedom, democracy and moderate capitalism are really just humanitarian ideas which happened to originate (not even wholly) in Europe, and as such, should be recommended everywhere.

I absolutely agree that European values should be spread but it seems that everything started in Europe.
Original post by LaughingBro
OP, are you exceptionally proud to be a racist?

Where to begin...

Do you think that celebrating the achievements of a particular culture is racist?
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Nope.

Didn't ask for your opinion.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
I absolutely agree that European values should be spread but it seems that everything started in Europe.

That's not really anything for you or anyone else to be personally proud of; Europe is not a homogeneous group of people, for instance. And anyway, nobody chooses where they are born or who they are. It seems a bit grotesquely egotistical to attribute to yourself any rewards for the achievements of the culture you were born into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending