The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
My school is trying to tell people that to apply to Oxbridge you must do an epq, is that actually true?

It's not necessary or required. It will only be useful it if is related to the subject you are applying for.
Feel I can finally relax for a bit now!

Had the EU Mock Council in Stormont yesterday, we represented France and it was a great day! :france:
Now I can focus more solely on school work and other things I want to do outside of school: read, SMC, learn Italian and Spanish etc... as well as keep going with D1 on Further Maths! Really enjoying 6th year!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak

Integrity? :tongue: :dontknow: :lol: I might see if I can get one to see what it's about.

I browsed over a crumpet and some muesli (yarharhar) and it's nothing that I didn't know already but I found it a tiny bit helpful. It included some good books I could look at for chemistry but if it wasn't for the fact it included information about Oxbridge colleges it's just a general advice book for uni applications, in my opinion!
Original post by Pabblethefish
I browsed over a crumpet and some muesli (yarharhar) and it's nothing that I didn't know already but I found it a tiny bit helpful. It included some good books I could look at for chemistry but if it wasn't for the fact it included information about Oxbridge colleges it's just a general advice book for uni applications, in my opinion!

Oh, that's good then. From the title I did expect it to actually suggest that Oxbridge interviews include ridiculous questions such as that (obviously I've never experienced one, but from what I hear they don't :tongue:).
Original post by simmy123
Hi guys

I decided to move to a grammar school 6th form in hopes to achieve better grades and better outcome of 6th form life. Yes I know its only the beginning of as level but im finding chemistry and biology quite difficult...in the mini topic tests we do I got a C in biology and an E in the chemistry to be honest I wasnt that worried because to me I know where I can improve and where I went wrong but however my parents are really worried and think that I won't achieve the best grades at a level and will completely come out with C's and D's are they overreacting? Or is it just me? In my opinion I feel like their comments have stressed me out I know I can achieve my potential but now after having a lecture from my parents im not so sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah your parents are overreacting. My mum is exactly the same because of my grades are so low compared to my gcse ones. Don't forget the gcse ones developed over 2 years. It's been about 5 weeks so far.
Everyone in our class had Us and Ds in chem- it's meant to be one of the hardest in the beginning because of all the new stuff-you'll get used to it though we just need more practice. We've been revising and doing stuff we know at gcse for a long time i think we need to get used to learning new stuff again aha, but please don't worry :smile: Focus on what your lecturers feel you need to do because you've chosen subjects you like or want to do so the lecturer's opinion and your own matters more, no disrespect to your parents :tongue: You can ask your lecturers anything you're stuck on-it'll still take some time getting used to so don't worry about getting as much help as you like from them.
I found biol so different to gcse but it's the same here-the first few weeks are like the foundation that we'll expand on the future-it won't always be like this. There's gonna be topics that are harder than others anyway :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
where has the neg button gone ???? :lolwut:
Reply 6206
Got 88% in my first chemistry test :awesome:
Original post by cmorga1
Got 88% in my first chemistry test :awesome:

:woo:

Well done, were the marks lost on tiny wording errors?
Reply 6208
Original post by L'Evil Fish

A couple were yeah :frown: one was also lost because I stupidly forgot to include state symbols on one of the easier questions but overall I was very happy with the result, really enjoying chemistry :smile:
Original post by cmorga1
A couple were yeah :frown: one was also lost because I stupidly forgot to include state symbols on one of the easier questions but overall I was very happy with the result, really enjoying chemistry :smile:

I did all the state symbols bar one and lost the mark :rofl: so annoying but same :five:
Reply 6210
I did all the state symbols bar one and lost the mark :rofl: so annoying but same :five:

Nice :biggrin: what exam board are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cmorga1
Nice :biggrin: what exam board are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR A, you?
Reply 6212
OCR A, you?

AQA here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaah, any good? OCR have horrid markschemes and some annoying phrases
Reply 6214
Aaah, any good? OCR have horrid markschemes and some annoying phrases

We haven't really done much of the hard stuff yet but the markschemes sound similar to the OCR ones aha :tongue: what topics have you covered so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cmorga1
We haven't really done much of the hard stuff yet but the markschemes sound similar to the OCR ones aha :tongue: what topics have you covered so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In class...

Orbitals, calculations, ionization energies, bondings and that.

I've covered Unit 1 though because 1 teacher goes way too slowly.

Original post by cmorga1

My teacher accidentally put the same question on my first test twice. When I wrote "see the previous question" he wrote "CBA" and didn't give me the marks for it :mmm:

Chemistry's so fun though :ahee:
My teacher accidentally put the same question on my first test twice. When I wrote "see the previous question" he wrote "CBA" and didn't give me the marks for it :mmm:

Chemistry's so fun though :ahee:

I wrote that on a physics one! Lost a few marks :colonhash: :ahee:

It is great, we have an ISA soon!
I wrote that on a physics one! Lost a few marks :colonhash: :ahee:

It is great, we have an ISA soon!

I'm finding it pretty easy, though it is the first unit I suppose. On the other hand, my teacher called my class the best class he's ever had :u:
I'm finding it pretty easy, though it is the first unit I suppose. On the other hand, my teacher called my class the best class he's ever had :u:

:rofl:

It is easy, I'm waiting for the good ****. Which will come next year :colonhash:

I think our year are relatively crap :tongue:

Latest