The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by St. Brynjar
Skipping 9th Doctor would make the Rose/10th Doctor relationship very odd.

I'd recommend skipping the Rose/10th Doctor relationship :tongue:
Original post by sneha.vag
So I have never watched Doctor Who and I want to start watching it. Where should I start from?

Start from Patrick Troughton's Tomb of the Cybermen, because Classic Who is brilliant and don't listen to anyone who says otherwise :yep: Also if you go with Classic Who first, the lows of 'New Who' won't be quite so awful unless you do selective watching which would probably be better so you just see the important/decent serials. God help you when you get to the Colin Baker/McCoy era.

You could always start from the very beginning but they'll be a lot of gaps with serials being lost and it takes a while for it to get into the swing of things what with getting the character of the Doctor down. If you do want to go with New Who then start with 'Rose', it's a good ep and while the second one isn't brilliant, the third in the series (The Unquiet Dead) is one of my all time favourites so hopefully that will be enough to stop you from dropping it :3 Just prepare for some times where you think 'why I am watching this?' (feel free to skip all episodes with the slitheens) but it's more than worth it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Possible former companion returning for the fiftieth

Spoiler

Original post by elitepower
Possible former companion returning for the fiftieth

Spoiler

:awesome:

I would be more than delighted if this was the case
Reply 2345
10 missing episodes have been found and remastered! Already available to download on iTunes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24467337

Just went on to iTunes to see how much they are. Both stories are £9.99, but rather annoyingly, on the US iTunes, they're $9.99, which makes them a few quid cheaper.
I am a Doctor Who Virgin (I think was would be a better word). Since there are so many seasons to watch, I decided to start watching from Season 5 and the first episode is entitled "The Eleventh Hour". Did I make a good decision?
I am a Doctor Who Virgin (I think was would be a better word). Since there are so many seasons to watch, I decided to start watching from Season 5 and the first episode is entitled "The Eleventh Hour". Did I make a good decision?

It'll work, but I'd highly recommend going back to season 1 and watching from there onwards...
Original post by greeneyedgirl
It'll work, but I'd highly recommend going back to season 1 and watching from there onwards...

I presume you are referring to season 1 of the 2005 series, where the first episode was entitled "Rose".
I presume you are referring to season 1 of the 2005 series, where the first episode was entitled "Rose".

Yes, I'm talking start of New Who :yep: just helps you get a bit more background and will make things like the 50th anniversary episode make a wee bit more sense etc.
Yes, I'm talking start of New Who :yep: just helps you get a bit more background and will make things like the 50th anniversary episode make a wee bit more sense etc.

You have a great point, thanks. I think I will start watching from season 1. It's a lot of episodes and that disturbs a little bit. :redface:
You have a great point, thanks. I think I will start watching from season 1. It's a lot of episodes and that disturbs a little bit. :redface:

Worth it for sure :yep:
Worth it for sure :yep:

Oh yes- I watched "Eleventh Hour" and I loved it. :smile:
Oh yes- I watched "Eleventh Hour" and I loved it. :smile:

If you can tolerate bad effects and varying skills of acting from great to pantomine then classic who is even better.

I recommend anniversary stories like two/three/five Doctors and any old Dalek story except maybe one or two Jon Pertwee ones as they are amazing and as they are around double the length of a regular episode of New Who they have a lot more story in them though that is what many people hate as they dont have the attention span these days and just want action.
I'm gonna be out of the country when the 50th airs... :emo:
Original post by pinkpenguin
I'm gonna be out of the country when the 50th airs... :emo:

It's being played in around 75 countries simutaneously. Could check if you could watch it where you are?
Original post by SirMasterKey
It's being played in around 75 countries simutaneously. Could check if you could watch it where you are?

I may well be able to, but it'll be a case of if I can escape and watch it or whether I'll be busy...

I reckon I can avoid spoilers until I get home though.
Two new stills/promotional photos for the 50th anniversary episode, both official BBC releases!

Spoiler

EDIT: and a third

Spoiler

Click on them to enlarge...
(edited 10 years ago)
First official trailer is up on the website. Not found it on youtube just yet. It doesn't look like any actual footage is shown from the episode, just a general advertisement for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jzhz3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending