The Student Room Group

Failed the LPC stage 1.. what next????

Hi everyone. Just wanted advice on what to do after failing stage 1 of the Lpc.

I was just wandering if I do decide to do the LPC again, should I stick with the University of Law or should I resit stage 1 at the University of Hertfordshire?? I say this because the Uni of Law are very strict with marking, and I think it may be easier to pass the LPC at herts (I completed my law degree and masters there)
I've been told, it doesn't matter where I sit stage 1 as long as I complete it within 5 years.

Any advice???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by arsenalfan4life

I was just wandering if I do decide to do the LPC again, should I stick with the University of Law or should I resit stage 1 at the University of Hertfordshire?? I say this because the Uni of Law are very strict with marking, and I think it may be easier to pass the LPC at herts (I completed my law degree and masters there)
I've been told, it doesn't matter where I sit stage 1 as long as I complete it within 5 years.

Any advice???

1. How many core modules have you failed?
2. Was it by much?

If the answers to the above are that you've failed by a lot in a number of modules, then you have to question - is a career in law really for you.

If not, then go for it.

I WOULDN'T change provider. The work you've done at UoL trains you for their exam. There may also be minor differences in the paper in the other Uni.
Thanks for the reply.

I passed everything except Property, Professional Conduct (got a mark of 47 twice) and Solicitors Account....in all 3 i still had 1 last attempt.

But I failed Business on my 3rd attempt.

Also, its the case of money...I took out a bank loan and can't really afford to pay another massive amount. But as I have attended Herts, I think they would give me a discount for being a previous student. In addition, I am absolutely sure I want to complete the LPC because I know if I let the 5 years lapse I will greatly regret it for the rest of my life. The only thing getting in the way is money. I am also ashamed to admit that I did not work as hard as I could and that would certainly change if I gave it 1 more shot....
Reply 3
you attended hertfordshire, what did you expect

What job will you get, paralegal at some downtown firm?

Any advice???

This wasn't a close run thing. You have failed three modules twice and one module three times.

I take it you do not have an offer of a training contract. Your CV is going to look pretty bloody and unless you have the personal salesmanship skills of a Simon Cowell, I think you are going to be throwing good money after bad.

I think you should try ad get a job in the law and see where it all goes from there.
I don't officially have a training contract, but my close friend said her boss will give me one providing I pass the LPC.

I also admit that I didn't work hard enough...as it was open book, I wrongly thought not much work was needed...
Original post by nulli tertius
This wasn't a close run thing. You have failed three modules twice and one module three times.

I take it you do not have an offer of a training contract. Your CV is going to look pretty bloody and unless you have the personal salesmanship skills of a Simon Cowell, I think you are going to be throwing good money after bad.

I think you should try ad get a job in the law and see where it all goes from there.

Even if I found a job in law I would still need the LPC to be a solicitor and I also need to complete the lpc within 5 years.:confused:
I don't officially have a training contract, but my close friend said her boss will give me one providing I pass the LPC.

I also admit that I didn't work hard enough...as it was open book, I wrongly thought not much work was needed...

On that basis, I would say go to Hertfordshire. Have a fresh start.
Even if I found a job in law I would still need the LPC to be a solicitor and I also need to complete the lpc within 5 years.:confused:

Please see my other post. However you could qualify as a legal exec using their fast track graduate diploma. Under present rules you would have to do the LPC but by the time you were looking to qualify that might have all changed.
On that basis, I would say go to Hertfordshire. Have a fresh start.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just to clarify, why do you think its best to go herts?? Is it because I have a guaranteed Training contract?
Please see my other post. However you could qualify as a legal exec using their fast track graduate diploma. Under present rules you would have to do the LPC but by the time you were looking to qualify that might have all changed.

I think I read something about this...I think I would have to complete the ILEX. But I also read that if you have started the LPC, then you can't go through that route???
Thank you so much for your reply!

Just to clarify, why do you think its best to go herts?? Is it because I have a guaranteed Training contract?

No, I think you should try again because you have a guaranteed training contract.

I think you should go to Herts because I think when you are in hole, stop digging. It is very easy to say that you did no work, but it may be other factors about the style of tuition, method of examination or whatever that means that it just isn't right for you.
I think I read something about this...I think I would have to complete the ILEX. But I also read that if you have started the LPC, then you can't go through that route???

That isn't right. If you go down the ILEX route then to qualify as a solicitor you must do the LPC after you become a CILEX. That has been misinterpreted as people who pass the LPC first can't qualify by this route. Yes, they can but they end up doing two LPCs. You have gone one stage further in the misinterpretation and are saying that someone who starts the LPC can't go down that route.
Yes that is true. Although herts is not seen as the worlds best uni, their style of teaching for me was excellent and suited me perfectly.

Thanks for all your replies..I will keep you posted on what choice I make and if I ever pass the LPC.
Original post by rickfloss
you attended hertfordshire, what did you expect

What job will you get, paralegal at some downtown firm?

I'm not sure how you think this is anyway helpful to the OP.

OP - I would heed nulli tertius' advice well. He knows his onions when it comes to the legal profession.
Hi there

I am a Chartered Legal Executive and I can advise you on the CILEx route. You can go down the CILEx route to qualify as a Lawyer even if you have done the LPC. If you haven't completed LPC you would need to do the Grad Fast Track Diploma to become a CLE (you would still need 3 years work experience - one post GFTD but this doesn't need to be under the umbrella of TC) The GFTD costs around £2k depending on where you do it with all fees etc too. Once you qualify as a CLE you can convert to being a Solicitor by doing LPC and you may be exempt from TC, however bear in mind that what CLEs can do is much the same as Solicitors so you may not feel it is worth the money. If you have completed LPC you can still qualify as a CLE and you wouldn't need to complete any further study just an application for exemptions (£600) but to qualify as a CLE you still need the work experience. You could still become a Solicitor but you would not be exempt from TC (Law Society rules). I hope this helps. Any queries contact your local RDO - details can be found on website of CILEx under Contact us.
Reply 16

why would her CV look bloody? She would just apply for firms online and disclose her grades, and if they are all ok, there would not be a problem...
Reply 17
Original post by hudamoha
why would her CV look bloody? She would just apply for firms online and disclose her grades, and if they are all ok, there would not be a problem...

Correct me if I'm wrong but on the transcripts for the LPC I think it puts the attempt numbers to show firms how many times the person needed to retake and if that retake was because of a fail or there were legitimate extenuating circumstances? (A1, A2, A3, B1 etc).

I would recommend that the OP takes a year out and goes for some paralegal jobs. That way you can see if you like the setting, get more of a feel for the work you have to do in a firm (which would help with the LPC's coursework) and come back stronger in 2017 or 2018 to try again. That could also help your confidence if you find you work really well in a firm.
Reply 18
I understand, but if she's going to start LPC all over again in another institution, assuming she does a really good job and doesn't have to retake any exam, she will be fine, correct?

I'm just taking in consideration the fact that she wants to take LPC all over again. But as you mentioned, she might have other options, better ones. But assuming this is what someone prefers to do...

Thanks for your reply.
Idiot really are a shallow individual. No need to be arrogant or bitter.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest