The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

It's quite scary how important the personal statement appears to be for LSE. In past years many people received feedback stating that their personal statement was the reason for not being accepted.

Did everyone engage critically with their subject in the personal statement?
Seems important...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi,

I was just wondering whether I should bother applying to LSE for Government and History or whether it would be a wasted application.

I got 5 A*'s, 6 A's and 1 B for my GCSE's. I did 5 AS Levels and got AAABC and currently do 4 A Levels for which I'm predicted A *AAA and an extended project where I'm predicted an A.

What do you think?? :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by gouratiltzen
It's quite scary how important the personal statement appears to be for LSE. In past years many people received feedback stating that their personal statement was the reason for not being accepted.

Did everyone engage critically with their subject in the personal statement?
Seems important...

I based my personal statement on all the advice I received from admission tutors at the LSE open day, and infomation on the LSE webiste. Maybe other uni's I have applied to will notice this... However, I think I've got a good balance of historical topics I'm interested in, and how my E.C's relate to the degree I want to pursue. Basically, my P.S doesn't contain anything irrelevant.

I guess it's kind of like a mini essay, as I've given a few critical opinions.

(It also helped that I have a friend at LSE in 2nd year doing Economic history.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by historyse5
Hi,

I was just wondering whether I should bother applying to LSE for Government and History or whether it would be a wasted application.

I got 5 A*'s, 6 A's and 1 B for my GCSE's. I did 5 AS Levels and got AAABC and currently do 4 A Levels for which I'm predicted A *AAA and an extended project where I'm predicted an A.

What do you think?? :smile::smile::smile:

Why haven't you applied already?! They're fantastic grades... A lot better than mine, and I applied 2 weeks ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gracelich
I based my personal statement on all the advice I received from admission tutors at the LSE open day, and infomation on the LSE webiste. Maybe other uni's I have applied to will notice this... However, I think I've got a good balance of historical topics I'm interested in, and how my E.C's relate to the degree I want to pursue. Basically, my P.S doesn't contain anything irrelevant.

I guess it's kind of like a mini essay, as I've given a few critical opinions.

(It also helped that I have a friend at LSE in 2nd year doing Economic history.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good!

I think mine was quite heavily academic. In terms of words it was 75% focused on my reading and theoretical issues within the subject. Perhaps too much!
Original post by gracelich
Why haven't you applied already?! They're fantastic grades... A lot better than mine, and I applied 2 weeks ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you soooo much :smile: I was just really worried that my C would drag me down, and also my teachers weren't being quick with my PS :smile: Thank you though, cos you've made me feel better :smile:
Original post by tigerz
I think I need to send mine soon >.<

MY TEACHERS WONT HURRY UP AND FINISH CHECKING IT! *stress*

You don't. Honestly. I know it's hard when everyone's posting their 'We're considering you!' emails and you feel like you're missing out...

But LSE is a top University, they know how to estimate their application process and they won't turn around in December and say 'Sorry guys, we've ran out. Oops! Apologies if you're a child prodigy, you'll have to apply next year instead!'

Not gonna happen. I've not put my application in yet because I'm not ready yet - and I'm not worried either!
Original post by historyse5
Thank you soooo much :smile: I was just really worried that my C would drag me down, and also my teachers weren't being quick with my PS :smile: Thank you though, cos you've made me feel better :smile:

Good :smile:. I got AAAE at AS and I'm predicted A*AA. I also resat year 12.... And I've still applied. You have better chances than me. But I thought I'll never know if I never apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nabsopabz
I've received the 12 week email for Law, anyone else? Does anyone know what this means? I'm guessing it means I'm not strong enough to be accepted outright and they're waiting for the entire batch of LLB applicants to have sent their UCAS form off, before they can then make up their mind about me?

Did this '12 week' email come after your 5 week one or did you get this one instead of the 5 week one?
Original post by lisa96
I got an acknowldgement from LSE today for Law. Does the person who emailed us essentially decide whether we get an offer or a rejection?

I assume so.. I think they're the "head" admissions tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 570
Original post by StretfordEnd
You don't. Honestly. I know it's hard when everyone's posting their 'We're considering you!' emails and you feel like you're missing out...

But LSE is a top University, they know how to estimate their application process and they won't turn around in December and say 'Sorry guys, we've ran out. Oops! Apologies if you're a child prodigy, you'll have to apply next year instead!'

Not gonna happen. I've not put my application in yet because I'm not ready yet - and I'm not worried either!

LOOOL true, i'm slightly uneasy though aha, I'm gonna send my application the first week of November probably...
Anyways, good luck everyoneeeeee (unless your a maths applicant -.- just messing :wink:)
Original post by tigerz
LOOOL true, i'm slightly uneasy though aha, I'm gonna send my application the first week of November probably...
Anyways, good luck everyoneeeeee (unless your a maths applicant -.- just messing :wink:)

are you applying maths with econ or maths and econ?
Reply 572
Original post by kingmango
are you applying maths with econ or maths and econ?

I decided to chicken out and apply for actuarial science but my goal is 'maths with econ' :P
If I feel confident later on i'll change it (trying to persuade teachers to predict me an A* for mathsy)
Original post by tigerz
I decided to chicken out and apply for actuarial science but my goal is 'maths with econ' :P
If I feel confident later on i'll change it (trying to persuade teachers to predict me an A* for mathsy)

Oh right, i've gone with maths with econ. where else are you applying other than LSE?
Reply 574
Hey guys, need some advice!

I achieved AAAC in my AS Levels and have been predicted A*AA, however, the A* is in Economics and I'm applying for Econ History :/

Do you think this will hinder my chances in getting a place at LSE but also UCL where I'm just applying for History and their entry reqs range from AAA-A*AA?

Reply 575
Original post by kingmango
Oh right, i've gone with maths with econ. where else are you applying other than LSE?

City, Queen Mary and Surrey, gonna decide on my 5th choice later on! :smile:

Original post by ErHi?
Hey guys, need some advice!

I achieved AAAC in my AS Levels and have been predicted A*AA, however, the A* is in Economics and I'm applying for Econ History :/

Do you think this will hinder my chances in getting a place at LSE but also UCL where I'm just applying for History and their entry reqs range from AAA-A*AA?

You still meet the admissions criteria so I wouldn't think so
Reply 576
Hello folks. Applying for Government & Economics.

GCSEs - 12A*s

AS-Levels - AAAAA (in Bio, Chem, Maths, Hist, Irish)
Predicted - A*A*A*A*A*

If anyone wants to throw me into the stalking thread, that'd be great. Good luck everyone!
Reply 577
Original post by Son1809
Hello folks. Applying for Government & Economics.

GCSEs - 12A*s

AS-Levels - AAAAA (in Bio, Chem, Maths, Hist, Irish)
Predicted - A*A*A*A*A*

If anyone wants to throw me into the stalking thread, that'd be great. Good luck everyone!

Jesus christ them grades :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I received an e-mail saying that I was "strong enough to be considered further ..." just the day after they sent me the email : "We will consider your application within 2 weeks ..."

Is it a good sign if they consider I am strong enough very quickly ?

(I sent my application on the 25th of September)

Applying for Econ and Econ History

Original post by StudioBagel
Hi guys,

I received an e-mail saying that I was "strong enough to be considered further ..." just the day after they sent me the email : "We will consider your application within 2 weeks ..."

Is it a good sign if they consider I am strong enough very quickly ?

(I sent my application on the 25th of September)

Applying for Econ and Econ History

of course!
now if only my email would show up sometime soon...

Quick Reply