The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benyon95
and thank you for being a huge help, I really needed this advice.

You're welcome. Wish I could have been more help. Ta for providing a diversion whilst I'm trapped in the house at half term with workmen everywhere shutting off all essential services...
Reply 41
I know I'm going to have to either book myself back into college, or find a foundation degree, but it's a matter of when... I'm honestly getting depressed working here, but if I stick it out, save, then apply for college/uni, I'll have a head start financially, and I'll have a qual. I'll also be around 20 years old and back in college, though.
It's a tough one, and I don't really know what to do, but I'm sure I'll find a way.

Dont worry about what age you'll be work had and prove to everyone that you are capable of achieving something. I understand what you're going through and it's unfair that because we dont have as much money as others that we should be cast aside by the education system. Don't give up and work really hard once you find a foundation course if not work harder and go college! Where there's a will there is a way!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Could you not get a part time job in a pub or shop working 20 hours a week? Most places like that pay around £6 an hour (give or take) and that way you wouldn't be the burden you seem to think you'll be to your mother, and you can also do the training you want to do...

Just a thought.
Reply 43
Original post by BrainChild
Dont worry about what age you'll be work had and prove to everyone that you are capable of achieving something. I understand what you're going through and it's unfair that because we dont have as much money as others that we should be cast aside by the education system. Don't give up and work really hard once you find a foundation course if not work harder and go college! Where there's a will there is a way!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will. I don't know how I'm going to manage in the short term though, haha
Reply 44
Original post by 1992lottie
Could you not get a part time job in a pub or shop working 20 hours a week? Most places like that pay around £6 an hour (give or take) and that way you wouldn't be the burden you seem to think you'll be to your mother, and you can also do the training you want to do...

Just a thought.

It's a good idea, and it's what I'm going to do. It's just really hard to find a job in my area. I've applied for so many places, been to interviews and been turned down. I only have this £3ish an hour job now, because it's relatively easy to get an apprenticeship. This was the last resort. Honestly, I've been applying for jobs non stop for at least a year or two now, it's just hard.
I'll find a way, though.
Reply 45
It's a good idea, and it's what I'm going to do. It's just really hard to find a job in my area. I've applied for so many places, been to interviews and been turned down. I only have this £3ish an hour job now, because it's relatively easy to get an apprenticeship. This was the last resort. Honestly, I've been applying for jobs non stop for at least a year or two now, it's just hard.
I'll find a way, though.

I'm just worried that it will turn out the way it was before and I won't be able to find a job for a looooong time.
Reply 46
I'll find a way, though.

Keep trying, I know it's frustrating but surely your family will appreciate your effort!

Good luck with the search!
Reply 47
Original post by 1992lottie
Keep trying, I know it's frustrating but surely your family will appreciate your effort!

Good luck with the search!

I will! Hopefully, with this work experience and a good reference from my employer, it will be much easier to get part time work.
Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I am sorry for your frustration. The Career Development Loan is not going to be the answer. It's pretty much intended for postgrads and you HAVE to start making repayments the first month after you finish your course, regardless of whether or not you have a job, which is such a high risk I couldn't ever recommend it to you. Plus, I think it unlikely you would be given one.

Im taking one out its like a student loan you pay it back when you are employed as far as im awear they're only for people 24 +
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rattusratus
Im taking one out its like a student loan you pay it back when you are employed as far as im awear they're only for people 24 +

I see you have edited your post. Do be careful what you are signing up to. Here is what Moneysavingexpert has to say on the matter:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/career-development-loans

And the Independent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/postgraduate/postgraduate-study/the-simple-guide-to-career-development-loans-8559515.html

The Independent says it's two months after finishing:
Should you be on a three-year plan and wish to repay sooner, you can without additional charges. As mentioned, repayments with either bank will start two months after graduating your course, during which time you’re expected to use your qualification to land a job which can afford the hefty repayments (typically around £200, if you borrow near the top end and pay back over the longest time).

If the job market is pitiless as ever, making repayments tough or impossible, you’ll need to head into the local branch for a chat. This isn’t like the undergraduate loan, which waits until you’re earning enough to pay your debts comfortably the CDL is a student loan all grown up and curiously enough, banks are pretty keen to get their money back. If an immediate repayment is unmanageable, you can talk over an adjusted repayment plan but do not defer your repayment at the last minute. Once you begin repayments, it will be difficult to pause them or put them off; don’t risk it. No matter your situation, if you’ve started paying a bank will almost always expect you to continue so arrange things well in advance.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rattusratus

Moneysavingexpert:
To be eligible for a loan you must:

Be 18 or over (the Co-op has an upper age limit of 69).

Have been living in the UK for at least 3 years before your course starts.

Plan to work in the UK, European Union, or European Economic Area after the course.

have you considered a Hnd I got on to one with ppp (at solent) and then toped up to the full degree after padsing the hnd only took 3 years like a full degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could try doing music practical or theory exams. Grades 6-8 get you UCAS points (grade 8 practical distinction =75) (grade 8 theory distinction = 30). i don't know that you'd be able to get to that stage very quickly though!
Original post by 2007PSanHa
You could try doing music practical or theory exams. Grades 6-8 get you UCAS points (grade 8 practical distinction =75) (grade 8 theory distinction = 30). i don't know that you'd be able to get to that stage very quickly though!

Given that he plays no instruments at all, I don't think that's going to be a quick solution, but it is certainly a source of Ucas points for others who may already have their grades and are applying for a course which will take them.
Reply 54
I've been talking to my friend about this whole situation, and she showed me EPQ's. They're worth an AS, and I could do that while still working. I don't know how much longer I can last here, but it's something to do while I'm figuring out my best option.
I've been talking to my friend about this whole situation, and she showed me EPQ's. They're worth an AS, and I could do that while still working. I don't know how much longer I can last here, but it's something to do while I'm figuring out my best option.

That's an interesting thought. Check with the universities to see if they will accept it in place of AS.
Reply 56
I don't think it would be possible to self teach music prod or tech, as I have no access to any equipment, nor do I have the money to sort myself out some equipment. Plus I want to learn it all properly, and I don't think I could teach myself these skills, without any help whatsoever. Thanks for the suggestion though, if it was possible in my situation, I'd definitely go for it.

What about evening classes to get a couple of A levels?
Also you've mentioned a couple of times about needing to play an instrument which you say you don't currently. Is it the cost of lessons putting you off?
If you're open to instruments other than what might be classed as rock / pop instruments, it may be worth getting in touch with your local brass band. many will take learners into their training band for a very small weekly charge (ours is currently £1) and many will also lend you an instrument to play.
Reply 57
Original post by rufus430
What about evening classes to get a couple of A levels?
Also you've mentioned a couple of times about needing to play an instrument which you say you don't currently. Is it the cost of lessons putting you off?
If you're open to instruments other than what might be classed as rock / pop instruments, it may be worth getting in touch with your local brass band. many will take learners into their training band for a very small weekly charge (ours is currently £1) and many will also lend you an instrument to play.

This is a 2013 thread. The poster hasn't been online since then.

Now closed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending