The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PierreIsNotMyName
That is a very good question. I'm not entirely sure at the moment because Bath has a really course but i really like Bristol as well. I decided i'm going to just be grateful for the moment and only make that decision if i have to.

Well played. Let's hope you don't have to make that decision, but coming from someone who's had to it's an extremely difficult one.
Original post by PierreIsNotMyName
Well, Applied to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Bristol and Bath on roughly the 1st of october. I received an offer from Bristol after 1 week and an offer off Bath after 2 weeks. I know that LSE will tell me mid november and that i'll need an interview for cambridge (Pembroke College). However, I have no idea about UCL... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(By the way, I applied for straight economics for all of them)

Nice, I've also applied to Pembroke College :smile: and have applied to more or less the same options as you. I wouldn't be surprised if you took the same subjects as me (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics)
Reply 1522
Applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and York for straight Econ. Just a question: how much do grades actually matter to universities when applying for Economics? Surely there are more people with the right number of GCSEs A*s and AS-level A's that apply for the course?
Original post by Belle18
Applied to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL and York for straight Econ. Just a question: how much do grades actually matter to universities when applying for Economics? Surely there are more people with the right number of GCSEs A*s and AS-level A's that apply for the course?

Yes it's extremely competitive so if you don't have almost perfect grades you basically stand no chance at all. But also because of this they need to differentiate the vast number of applicants which meet the requirements so there lot of attention payed to the personal statement too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1524
Original post by Bloxorus
Yes it's extremely competitive so if you don't have almost perfect grades you basically stand no chance at all. But also because of this they need to differentiate the vast number of applicants which meet the requirements so there lot of attention payed to the personal statement too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I have 12 A* at GCSE (+ an A in FSMQ), 4As at AS (94% UMS average) and predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, F. Maths and History. So will many other applicants possess the same level of qualifications as me and will the personal statement/school reference be the determining factor in the end?
Original post by Belle18
Well, I have 12 A* at GCSE (+ an A in FSMQ), 4As at AS (94% UMS average) and predicted 4A*s in Econ, Maths, F. Maths and History. So will many other applicants possess the same level of qualifications as me and will the personal statement/school reference be the determining factor in the end?

Those are amazing grades but a lot of other applicants will have similar academic records, especially for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. So yes the personal statement is extremely important and will probably be the main determining factor.
Original post by Belle18

For Cambridge it'll probably be the interview. The rest will be based on the personal statement and reference since there are lots of applicants with 4A's and straight A*'s at GCSE.

I mean how else are the Universities able to differentiate applicants? :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1527
Those are amazing grades but a lot of other applicants will have similar academic records, especially for Cambridge, LSE, Warwick and UCL. So yes the personal statement is extremely important and will probably be the main determining factor.

Okay thanks for the advice. Also, will the fact that I got those grades at a state school be at all advantageous instead of a private/grammar where those grades are the norm?
Original post by Belle18
Okay thanks for the advice. Also, will the fact that I got those grades at a state school be at all advantageous instead of a private/grammar where those grades are the norm?

Ofcourse it'll be advantageous.
I can't find a thread for AS economics. But does anyone know what unit comparative and absolute advantage is in? I'm in AQA spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1530
Original post by Dilzo999
Ofcourse it'll be advantageous.

Okay, thanks for the reassurance! :smile:
Reply 1531
Anyone applying for Liverpool or Sheffield if so what are your AS and predicted grades
Has anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1533
Has anyone got any offers yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got my first offer 30 minutes ago!!
Original post by SP10
Got my first offer 30 minutes ago!!

Where from? :smile:
Reply 1535
Original post by NedStark
Where from? :smile:

Surrey. Applied for Economics and Finance. Only sent my application off on Friday :biggrin:
Original post by SP10
Surrey. Applied for Economics and Finance. Only sent my application off on Friday :biggrin:

Awesome!
Original post by Millerman
I can't find a thread for AS economics. But does anyone know what unit comparative and absolute advantage is in? I'm in AQA spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm under Edexcel, but I'm guessing all the boards cover essentially the same thing (one unit for Micro, one for Macro) but those topics are in Unit 4 under the 'Globalization' section.
Original post by Millerman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to confirm what Boy wonder said, I'm on the AQA spec and it is on unit 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless
Just to confirm what Boy wonder said, I'm on the AQA spec and it is on unit 4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh, cos we are doing unit 1 as ive just started year 12 and we have homework on it!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending