The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Does anyone know, generally speaking, when Medicine interviews/offers start to come out? :smile: just for the sake of saving myself from checking my Track too often in the next few months! i can imagine myself getting obsessive, also should i be keeping an eye out on track or my email?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 161
Original post by Rooroo96
hey there! WELL DONE! its not easy getting in and congratulations at getting a competetive course at a competitive uni! may I also say, your blog has inspired me to come to Birmingham :biggrin: it sounds amazing xD any feedback on my chances would well appreciated :')

GCSE- 9A*s ( bio chem physics maths eng lit geo history french arabic)
2 A's ( eng lang and music)

AS- AAABB ( biology french physics chemistry arabic) -respectively

A2 predictions (A* A* A a) in bio french chem -respectively +chose to take up AS psychology as an extra with an A prediction

Applying to:
Bristol
Birmingham
Liverpool
Lancaster

Ive been going to an IVF clinic for the past year, learnt a lot about ethics especially, also school prefect, Cancer research events initiator/organiser
multilinguist in 3 major world languages (arabic, french, english)
been to 13 schools! (tried not to let this affect grades but tbh they would have been better if we didnt move around so much, especially since this last move was actually abroad this time! so started alevels at a british school over here) however I put this is in a very positive light in my PS

do my chances look okay?! im scared that B in AS chem will pull me down however everything else seems decent as 'decent' gets for us med applicants! any advice at all would be amazing :biggrin:

when did you start to get all your offers/replies/interviews btw?
also any advice on the interview at brum if I get one fingers crossed! feeling anxious/excited!

Hello! Haha, thank you very much :biggrin:

It's a shame about your B in Chemistry, that is the only thing letting you down. Hopefully you should get an interview, do you have any extra-curriculars such as sport or music? They do like that kind of thing, I think that's what made me my interview! Your Personal Statement sounds intriguing, I hope you focussed a lot on your work experience and motivation, as it sounds like you have a lot of good stuff to focus on. Also, was your teacher's reference good, what did that say about your Chemistry?

I didn't receive news of an interview until January, my interview was in March. I was the last batch of interviews, so by the time March came around I was in a bit of a panic! My offer came through mid-April, again I was one of the last people to hear I got one (judging from TSR anyway!). Any advice on the interview... well, don't panic, and act confident, regardless of what you are feeling! Walk into the rooms and smile, shake the interviewers' hands, first impressions are good. The interviews are done without the interviewers having ever seen your application before, which means it is purely what you do in the interview as to whether you get in or not after this stage (50-60% chance of getting an offer once you've reached interview stage though!). Don't worry, and don't sound too rehearsed!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 162
Original post by BayHarborButcher
Really!? O_o And Manc, Leeds, Notts and Cam, what about you?

Yeah, as long as you show an interest in Engineering, you will get an offer! I did it all last year :L nice choices mate, good luck with Cambridge as well! This time round I've chosen Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter , nott and Southampton... But I'm doing Mech Eng :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iLayton
Yeah, as long as you show an interest in Engineering, you will get an offer! I did it all last year :L nice choices mate, good luck with Cambridge as well! This time round I've chosen Birmingham, Cardiff, Exeter , nott and Southampton... But I'm doing Mech Eng :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, you'll notice that I've gone for all big cities bar Cam, I want somewhere lively! :smile: I'm not bother about Cam cause I know I wont get past the interview stage if I get there. Niiice, I was thinking about mech eng before chem eng and I went to the Mehc eng talks at Bham and at Notts :smile: I also know someone doing mech eng at Notts and apparently it's really good. Any idea which is yer fav?
Reply 164
Haha, you'll notice that I've gone for all big cities bar Cam, I want somewhere lively! :smile: I'm not bother about Cam cause I know I wont get past the interview stage if I get there. Niiice, I was thinking about mech eng before chem eng and I went to the Mehc eng talks at Bham and at Notts :smile: I also know someone doing mech eng at Notts and apparently it's really good. Any idea which is yer fav?

You've got the right idea with cities, i went to study at loughborough back in September, and soon realised I'd made the wrong decision by not going to a city, night/social life is equally as important! Fair enough, I've always wanted to do mech for some reason. I haven't seen Nott or Exeter yet, went to an interview at Birmingham last year, and it was pretty good then! Which one are you liking the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iLayton
You've got the right idea with cities, i went to study at loughborough back in September, and soon realised I'd made the wrong decision by not going to a city, night/social life is equally as important! Fair enough, I've always wanted to do mech for some reason. I haven't seen Nott or Exeter yet, went to an interview at Birmingham last year, and it was pretty good then! Which one are you liking the most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, went to see Loughborough and hated it! That's what made me realise I want a big lively place. I mean I know I cant be partying every night or whatever but I want a city with clubs and things to do! Notts was pretty impressive. Ahh so you chose Loughborough over Bham? For me it's gonna be a toss up between Bham and Leeds I think, what about you?
Reply 166
Yep, went to see Loughborough and hated it! That's what made me realise I want a big lively place. I mean I know I cant be partying every night or whatever but I want a city with clubs and things to do! Notts was pretty impressive. Ahh so you chose Loughborough over Bham? For me it's gonna be a toss up between Bham and Leeds I think, what about you?

Yeah i did, i wasnt sure what grades i was gonna get, so firmed Lough for the ABB offer, turned out i got AAB, so could of gone to Birmingham or any other similarly ranked city! Probably Birmingham or Exeter, Leeds is a great city, just a bit too far away from me, and there offer usually AAA, so didn't want to risk it! When is your interview? I'm still waiting for my school to send off the UCAS application, reckon mine will be around the end of november like last year. ( If they give me an offer again :L)
Original post by iLayton
Yeah i did, i wasnt sure what grades i was gonna get, so firmed Lough for the ABB offer, turned out i got AAB, so could of gone to Birmingham or any other similarly ranked city! Probably Birmingham or Exeter, Leeds is a great city, just a bit too far away from me, and there offer usually AAA, so didn't want to risk it! When is your interview? I'm still waiting for my school to send off the UCAS application, reckon mine will be around the end of november like last year. ( If they give me an offer again :L)

Ahh unlucky! Sounds like you're from the South Im guessing, Im from the North-west so Leeds and Bham are greeeat for me, Leeds uni does look amazing though I have to admit. Both of them offer AAA for me, hopefully I'll get those grades though. Got my interview with Bham in early November :smile: If you already have the grades they want then yeahh you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 168
Ahh unlucky! Sounds like you're from the South Im guessing, Im from the North-west so Leeds and Bham are greeeat for me, Leeds uni does look amazing though I have to admit. Both of them offer AAA for me, hopefully I'll get those grades though. Got my interview with Bham in early November :smile: If you already have the grades they want then yeahh you'll be fine :smile:

Haha yeah, just below bristol! Yeah i'm sure you will be fine, what A-levels are you doing? Yeah, well hopefully its more straight forward this year, it will either be a yes or a no :L
Original post by iLayton
Haha yeah, just below bristol! Yeah i'm sure you will be fine, what A-levels are you doing? Yeah, well hopefully its more straight forward this year, it will either be a yes or a no :L

I went to see Bath actually but decided to not apply for the same reason as Loughborough, some people are like 'Omg but it's a good uni?' I dont wanna live somewhere for 5 years that I hate. And Im doing chem, physics and maths to A2 :smile: What about you? I doubt the fact that you've applied before affects your application one bit
Reply 170
I went to see Bath actually but decided to not apply for the same reason as Loughborough, some people are like 'Omg but it's a good uni?' I dont wanna live somewhere for 5 years that I hate. And Im doing chem, physics and maths to A2 :smile: What about you? I doubt the fact that you've applied before affects your application one bit

Yeah, Bath's nice but really quite small! Yeah, 5 years is a long time, you want to make the most of it! Yeah i did Math's Physics and Chemistry too... Make sure you destroy C3, you don't want to be like me and be 1 ums away from an A* :wink: I guess you're doing M2? Make sure you spend loads of time on circular motion, that's by far the hardest thing in M2. Yeah, i know it probably won't, but it still worries me :L
Original post by iLayton
Yeah, Bath's nice but really quite small! Yeah, 5 years is a long time, you want to make the most of it! Yeah i did Math's Physics and Chemistry too... Make sure you destroy C3, you don't want to be like me and be 1 ums away from an A* :wink: I guess you're doing M2? Make sure you spend loads of time on circular motion, that's by far the hardest thing in M2. Yeah, i know it probably won't, but it still worries me :L

Yep that's why I decided against Bath! Haha the exact same? I see so many people doing 4/5 and IM just like O_o Urghh that would be annoying but Im fien as long as I get AAA! Yep M2, circular motion in physics is a bit poo soo yeah Im guessing it's gay. I actually found M1 kinda easy if it's anything like M2...
Reply 172
Yep that's why I decided against Bath! Haha the exact same? I see so many people doing 4/5 and IM just like O_o Urghh that would be annoying but Im fien as long as I get AAA! Yep M2, circular motion in physics is a bit poo soo yeah Im guessing it's gay. I actually found M1 kinda easy if it's anything like M2...

Haha, its the best combo! Circular motion is on a whole different level in M2, the stuff in unit 3 physics is alot easier. Tbh, most of M2 isn't that hard, i got 95 in M1. and 100 in M2, so i guess you can say overall it is slightly easier, you just have 2 really hard chapters!
Original post by iLayton
Haha, its the best combo! Circular motion is on a whole different level in M2, the stuff in unit 3 physics is alot easier. Tbh, most of M2 isn't that hard, i got 95 in M1. and 100 in M2, so i guess you can say overall it is slightly easier, you just have 2 really hard chapters!

Unit 3 physics? On AQA unit 3 is an ISA but Im guessing our unit 4 is like you're unit 3. Haha I got 95 on M1 too! It's annoying because AS as no effect on getting an A* and nor does M2. Circular motion in physics seemed okay but I bet it was dummed down, always is in physics!
Reply 174
Unit 3 physics? On AQA unit 3 is an ISA but Im guessing our unit 4 is like you're unit 3. Haha I got 95 on M1 too! It's annoying because AS as no effect on getting an A* and nor does M2. Circular motion in physics seemed okay but I bet it was dummed down, always is in physics!

Yeah my bad, i meant Unit 4, i was on AQA too! Yep, its a really annoying system, especially in maths, i averaged 94.5% overall, but no A*. Just make sure you practice it a lot, and you will find it easy after awhile! just remember, diagrams, diagrams, diagrams! haha
Original post by iLayton
Yeah my bad, i meant Unit 4, i was on AQA too! Yep, its a really annoying system, especially in maths, i averaged 94.5% overall, but no A*. Just make sure you practice it a lot, and you will find it easy after awhile! just remember, diagrams, diagrams, diagrams! haha

It's the same system in AQA chemistry, you could get 100% at AS and not get an A*. Im not liking trig functions atm, there's a million ways you can solve them. And AS physics was okay but Im not liking A2, electric fields and capacitors can piss off!
Any History people out there? If so have you had any offers/rejections yet? :smile:
Reply 177
It's the same system in AQA chemistry, you could get 100% at AS and not get an A*. Im not liking trig functions atm, there's a million ways you can solve them. And AS physics was okay but Im not liking A2, electric fields and capacitors can piss off!

Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the system at all! Ahh, I really liked trig, as soon as you find ways if remembering them, like all your double angle formulae etc, you'll find it quite easy, some times integrating them can be a bitch though. Capacitance wasn't to bad, the equations were easy enough... Magnetic fields was what I hated the most! Unit 4 is by far the hardest exam, I found unit 5 much easier, yet I did worse in it.. 98 compared to 114 :P just do loads of past papers and you will get those A's, feel sorry for you because there aren't any January exams anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iLayton
Yeah, I'm not a massive fan of the system at all! Ahh, I really liked trig, as soon as you find ways if remembering them, like all your double angle formulae etc, you'll find it quite easy, some times integrating them can be a bitch though. Capacitance wasn't to bad, the equations were easy enough... Magnetic fields was what I hated the most! Unit 4 is by far the hardest exam, I found unit 5 much easier, yet I did worse in it.. 98 compared to 114 :P just do loads of past papers and you will get those A's, feel sorry for you because there aren't any January exams anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm yeah I guess they aren't that bad, I've probably been doing really solid ones compared to the exam :s-smilie: Fields are a piss take, hate them so much. I really hope that unit 5 is easier, dont really like physics atm, well 98 is still an A right?? Yeah past papers got me an A at AS, the physics teaching in my school is realllly crap. And it's such a piss take having no January exams!! Argh it means I have all 7 in June and Im bound to mess up at least one!
Reply 179
Mmm yeah I guess they aren't that bad, I've probably been doing really solid ones compared to the exam :s-smilie: Fields are a piss take, hate them so much. I really hope that unit 5 is easier, dont really like physics atm, well 98 is still an A right?? Yeah past papers got me an A at AS, the physics teaching in my school is realllly crap. And it's such a piss take having no January exams!! Argh it means I have all 7 in June and Im bound to mess up at least one!

That's the way to do it mate, do the solid ones.. it can only get easier :L Do you know what option you are doing for unit 5? haha yeah, guess i can't complain about the 98! Yeah, 7 A2 exams sounds pretty full on, i had 4! But im sure you will do fine mate!

Quick Reply

Latest