Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9100
Original post by tasha96
Lovely evening in with someone awesome. :awesome:

Spoiler

Much icecream was had. :yep: :woo: :tongue:

And many more to come my good friend! :woo:
Oh, and mars bar cake next week!! We are really going all out when it comes to food! :yep: :hugs:
Reply 9101
Original post by PonchoKid
if anyone needs me ill be hiding in the corner behind the arm chair crying :hide:

Oh, and if anyone needs me, I'll be away to rescue this lovely lady because she shouldnt be crying. :yep:
Original post by superwolf
:hugs: If in doubt, apply for everything! :tongue:

That, or I'm on ESA, DLA, housing benefit and council tax reduction if that helps. Can try and help out with a bit of form-filling-in over skype if you like as well.

haha, im half tempted to!

yeah I think ESA I can definitely get, need to get my support worker to help with the forms though I expect :ninja: the council told me and Poncho we could get this LHA thing instead of housing benefit which would like pay all the rent for us to the landlord (cause I don't classify as responsible enough to pay it myself :redface:), council tax is definitely the confusing one for us, though I found a website that says we can apply for a 78% discount now and if I get the support thing of ESA we can get 100%.

were gonna go speak to the council again tomorrow I think, and seeing CAB on Wednesday anyway (have to give them a load of bills so I can get this debt relief thing)

Original post by rmhumphries
Pretty much. Earlier today, SW has told that while you can get ESA as a Student, there is no law backing them doing so, so they do it sometimes when the decision maker thinks they should.

So, they said themselves, that they make it up as they go along!

I can offer advice based on what I know if you want, although despite this generally being from the government website, it may not actually be true or true in all cases.

ah okay, I wish they would just make it clear and easy! you should be okay though I expect cause they let me get housing benefit when I was at Uni even though I lived in halls!

thank you both! may definitely have to take you guys up on the offer of help! hope you are both okay! :hugs:
Original post by SciFiRory
why is the benefits system so confusing? :cry2:

so confused, every website seems to say different things and I don't know what I can and can't claim or what I do or don't count as and such at all :frown:

can anyone help???? :s-smilie:

:hugs: If in doubt, apply for everything! :tongue:

That, or I'm on ESA, DLA, housing benefit and council tax reduction if that helps. Can try and help out with a bit of form-filling-in over skype if you like as well.

PRSOM to wolf. I'm on ESA, housing benefit and council tax reduction myself. From what i remember being told, incapacity benefit is now a part of ESA.

I would ring up the ESA people, instead of contacting them via email or something, they are friendly and helpful more often than not. You may find yourself being asked to call a different number, or they may transfer your call to a different advisor, but you'll get the right person eventually, so don't worry about that. You could also ask them if they could point you in the right direction with the tax reduction and housing benefit stuff, they should be happy to give you the contact details you need.

I also recommend ringing any of the benefits services in the morning, since in the evenings you can be stuck on the line for a looooong time.

When i applied for ESA, i think i was just asked to give quite a few details, but don't remember needing to do a phone interview or anything. As long as you can get medical certificates from your GP as proof of you being too sick for work, they will give you the equivalent of JSA money, which is around £53 a week for me. Hope this helps ^^
Original post by Meaty_man
PRSOM to wolf. I'm on ESA, housing benefit and council tax reduction myself. From what i remember being told, incapacity benefit is now a part of ESA.

I would ring up the ESA people, instead of contacting them via email or something, they are friendly and helpful more often than not. You may find yourself being asked to call a different number, or they may transfer your call to a different advisor, but you'll get the right person eventually, so don't worry about that. You could also ask them if they could point you in the right direction with the tax reduction and housing benefit stuff, they should be happy to give you the contact details you need.

I also recommend ringing any of the benefits services in the morning, since in the evenings you can be stuck on the line for a looooong time.

When i applied for ESA, i think i was just asked to give quite a few details, but don't remember needing to do a phone interview or anything. As long as you can get medical certificates from your GP as proof of you being too sick for work, they will give you the equivalent of JSA money, which is around £53 a week for me. Hope this helps ^^

:hahaha: I can rep you.

Good advice, just want to add that if you go to the job centre you can use their phones for free. :smile:
Reply 9105
Original post by los lobos marinos
The thing is though, it was defined as a rant in the first instance. By definition, that means the argument may well end up being personalised.

Far better to rant here and to let it all out than to have it all build up inside until it explodes in the real world.

I thought that is what this thread is all about - to let your thoughts and feelings out WITHOUT being judged.:argh:

Is there anyone else u can contact in order to make them get their **** together? Surely if you take photos and past correspondence as proof of their failure to adhere to a contract, you can do something about it?

It is sad how far you have to go nowadays to get people to do what they say they are going to do. I think almost everyone has had a lot of grief from some company or group of people, where u do the best you can, be as nice as possible, but you just get ignored. Over, and over, and over again. In the end they basically force you to be nasty, because otherwise they won't do anything,

As you can tell, me and some of my family have had a similar situation recently, where due to some peoples incompetence they have been put under ridiculous stress and have lost a LOT of money, simply because people are being seriously awkward and hard to deal with.

I'd disagree to an extent - yes people can and should rant about stuff when they've got something they need to get off their chest. However that doesn't mean they shouldn't take other members into consideration - this is a society after all, and if you post something on here then you're accepting that people will read it and not always agree with it, sometimes even taking offence. In the past I've had the occasional disagreement on this thread when I've felt someone was being inconsiderate (and vice versa, people are free to take issue with what I say), and as a general rule the problems have been sorted amicably. You do sometimes get someone having a go at another member, which I'd say is unacceptable (except maybe if it's Saber :poke:), or saying stuff that's needlessly triggering/not appropriately spoilered. In this case I'm guessing Sultana thought avhhs was being a bit misogynistic, and decided to call him out about it. In an ideal world she might have done it more politely, but I still wouldn't say she was in the wrong.

I disagree with most of your assertions. However, I don't think this is the right place for this debate as it will derail the thread and makes a mountain out of molehill.

Therefore, I agree that both perspectives have equal value and truth.

Original post by VaVe
Defining something as a rant doesn't mran people aren't allowed to say anything remotely negative about it. I know that I hate hate hate people being referred to as a bitch. Sultana is allowed to have an opinion on what is said, pointing out that insulting names isn't a great thing to do isn't a personal attack. Commenting negatively doesn't mean that you're judging somebody, and sayong that people shouldn't is surely just silencing and not supporting them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sultana
I'm sorry my last comment was so tetchy, that's not on. However, I'd say my point still stands - just as the phrase 'no offense but...' means sod all, prefacing a paragraph with the word rant doesn't mean you can then go on to say whatever you like and not be called up on it. In my opinion it is never appropriate to call anyone a bitch, no matter how much you may dislike them and I don't think it's helpful to go about life using these misogynistic gendered slurs wherever, and particuarly not in a place like this which is meant to be a 'safe' environment.

Anyway, I won't clog up the thread anymore and I'll try and think before I let my irratibility out on here again.

Original post by asdfgah
PRSOM.

Spoiler

I must say, im kinda suprised the word isn't censored, i didn't know myself it could trigger people here, so thanks to you and Sultana for letting us know.

This thread is a lovely environment like 99% of the time, but some of us get easily worked up and really need to vent, and at that point our feelings will come out too... I just wanna say that because i could of easily done it myself, and i would never want to hurt anyone on this forum because you guys are awesome :jumphug:

Original post by asdfgah
Thanks for the reply - just wanted to explain a few things because sometimes people come at things so consistently from different perspectives and it becomes hard to see where the other person is coming from. For example, a disabled person recently pointed out to me that describing something as "lame" meaning bad could be taken as a slur against people with physical disabilities of some kind. It just hadn't even crossed my mind.. I heard the word 'lame' and used it, without even thinking about the connotations it had. It's so easy to do, so when I point out things that people say which could be upsetting in a "hey, did you know that might upset someone?" way, I'm not actually being passive aggressive (most of the time). It's just sometimes people don't realise the connotations of the words they use.

For an explanation of why I personally find the word 'bitch' really upsetting, see below. Could be triggering to people who have experienced sexual violence or anything else degrading which made them feel dehumanised in some sense.

Spoiler

I fully understand what you are saying. I have previously been triggered by stuff on this thread (when it was Depression Society) and would prefer if people sometimes took greater care in their wording, wherever possible. However, I also want to people to express themselves freely, without hindrance. I therefore find myself sitting on the fence.

What is PRSOM????

Original post by asdfgah
It's 'please rate some other members' - the message you get when someone is SO awesome they have been repped by you in the recent past. :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free speech. I'm also for people learning what is upsetting to others and self-checking to ensure that we don't risk alienating a particular set of people. Because of my experiences (possible/suspected autistic spectrum disorder) of not picking up on what offends people easily, I find it easiest for people to be upfront about the things that really upset them, so that I am aware and can self-censor. So pointing offending stuff out to others comes under "treat other people as you would like to be treated," which seems fair enough. :smile:

Original post by rmhumphries
I agree that there are certainly two sides, both with equal amounts of validity. On the flip side though regarding discussion, I think it is important that we as a thread are in general agreement with what is ok, and what should be kept off the thread (or spoilered). Obviously, we have the site rules we need to stick to, but we don't want people being made upset but posts which are within the rules (and if it had of been spoilered or reworded would not have caused issue).

See above point - I think this is something that is important to be discussed. I doubt anyone on here wants to be upsetting others.

P.s. I need to rep more people, I have hit PRSOM on like 5 or 6 different posts on the last two pages!

If you never express how you feel, people may never know! That's why i like to be open too, it just helps all parties involved :P More harm comes from being quiet, as opposed to speaking out. At least, that's what i would say from my experience :smile:

lol. Tell me about it. It's so frustrating. Sometimes, I just flip around the site looking for a couple of other good posts to rep so that I can return to the original one, only to find out that I cannot give out any more rep as I have exceeded my limit for the day :cool: :confused:

The downside of all this is well, being left in no-mans land.

Spoiler

I'd like to apologise for my earlier behaviour, I'm feeling much calmer now (after having a nap :tongue:) so I can see where I've gone wrong. Often when I'm angry I can also start thinking very irrationally which makes things even worse (probably best not to go into specifics). I thought uni would be a fresh start for me, but so far it has been anything but that. Also learnt something new :smile:

So yeah, I'd like to apologise for the behaviour and I hope to be more careful in the future :yep: :smile: :grouphugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hahaha: I can rep you.

Good advice, just want to add that if you go to the job centre you can use their phones for free. :smile:

You're too kind :colondollar: And yes, don't use your mobile...i did that and it cost me a bomb :s Learn from others mistakes so you don't have to make your own, it will save you money lol xD
I cannot figure out why I leave uni work to the last minute. I still don't learn my lesson and instead I am stressing about something that is due in tomorrow when I had plenty of time to do it previously. I really need a kick up the back-side and stop leaving uni work to the night before and then freaking out like mad! :sad:

thank you! :smile:

yeah I think we are making headway with things more now! one thing we aren't 100% on is how much JSA Poncho can claim, Turn2Us are saying she can claim £156.80 a week cause we are a couple and I am on DLA/applying for ESA.
haha, im half tempted to!

yeah I think ESA I can definitely get, need to get my support worker to help with the forms though I expect :ninja: the council told me and Poncho we could get this LHA thing instead of housing benefit which would like pay all the rent for us to the landlord (cause I don't classify as responsible enough to pay it myself :redface:), council tax is definitely the confusing one for us, though I found a website that says we can apply for a 78% discount now and if I get the support thing of ESA we can get 100%.

were gonna go speak to the council again tomorrow I think, and seeing CAB on Wednesday anyway (have to give them a load of bills so I can get this debt relief thing)

ah okay, I wish they would just make it clear and easy! you should be okay though I expect cause they let me get housing benefit when I was at Uni even though I lived in halls!

thank you both! may definitely have to take you guys up on the offer of help! hope you are both okay! :hugs:

Let me know if I can assist in any way :h:

lol. Tell me about it. It's so frustrating. Sometimes, I just flip around the site looking for a couple of other good posts to rep so that I can return to the original one, only to find out that I cannot give out any more rep as I have exceeded my limit for the day :cool: :confused:

The downside of all this is well, being left in no-mans land.

Spoiler

so i just PMed myself. i give up
:getmecoat:
Reply 9111
so i just PMed myself. i give up
:getmecoat:

:jumphug: That isn't something to give up about! :yep: :laugh: You are a great person, and everyone makes mistakes! :smile:
Original post by avhhs
:jumphug: That isn't something to give up about! :yep: :laugh: You are a great person, and everyone makes mistakes! :smile:

Was deffo not meant for me :frown:
I give up so bad atm life is stressful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was deffo not meant for me :frown:
I give up so bad atm life is stressful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: It really can be tough to just keep going sometimes...i cant understand why i struggle to just function like a normal human being. Most people can get jobs, get partners, be social and are good at things. I'm just stuck being good at nothing, and i can barely look after myself.

But we need to keep going, because there is a light at the end of the tunnel, it just seems real far away. If we can keep moving, we'll keep getting closer, so that one day we will get there. If we stop moving, we'll never get there. Sorry if that sounds really over dramatic lol, im struggling to put thoughts into words atm.

Basically, don't give up because you will be happy eventually, i can promise that :smile: :jumphug:
Just a letter thing I wrote in my notebook just now :frown: A mix of blah and just I don't know. So confused. I guess embarrassed about it :s-smilie: Hence spoiler. Not sure what's happening up in my head.

Spoiler

Original post by purple-duck
Just a letter thing I wrote in my notebook just now :frown: A mix of blah and just I don't know. So confused. I guess embarrassed about it :s-smilie: Hence spoiler. Not sure what's happening up in my head.

Spoiler

Man that's a lot of thoughts going around in your head, deep ones too, i had to stop my music just to take it all in properly! I felt compelled to know exactly how you're feeling though, because a lot of those thoughts you're having, i feel i've also had quite a lot. :hug:

SH related

Spoiler

Depression and mental health related problems are illogical by nature like you say, its why people have such trouble understanding us; we act illogically. We don't want to be how we are, but we cant help it, because of the problems we have. It's the same for autism, dyslexia and all manner of mental health problems.

I also have felt like i should embrace sadness and depression, because at times i feel so hopeless, that happiness seems like it just wants to avoid me. What's the point of fighting something you cannot win against? Why not embrace it?

Because it genuinely does suck to feel crap all the time, and you don't need to. There IS some part of you that knows this sadness is wrong, that you SHOULD feel better. That's because there is still a part of you that has faith, faith that you will get better, that you will get over it all.

Remember that you want to get better, when we are feeling real low, reality does seem distorted, it's seriously hard to think properly. Just keep trying man, and writing all that stuff down here really will help :hugs:
i admit im awesome, sorry it took so long!!!
Reply 9117
*sigh*

Looks like another night of no sleep :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah'
*sigh*

Looks like another night of no sleep :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

text me if you like

love your sister from another mister
:lovehug:
Reply 9119
text me if you like

love your sister from another mister
:lovehug:

I figured it was you on Rory's account :wink: having fun there?

Love right back at you :lovehug: :penguinhug: :jumphug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest