The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KT_T
GCSEs: 4A*s, 7As and 3Bs - my dream is to go to Cambridge. I would love to do maths or something science based. What are the chances of getting in? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on your UMS marks at AS as Cambridge place more emphasis on them. :smile:
Reply 8821
Original post by usycool1
It depends on your UMS marks at AS as Cambridge place more emphasis on them. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would i be able to go to a russel group uni to do something in finance like maths with my grades. Which were 1a's 3a's 5b's and a c. The a star was in maths and the c was in english lang.
Original post by Terminator95
Would i be able to go to a russel group uni to do something in finance like maths with my grades. Which were 1a's 3a's 5b's and a c. The a star was in maths and the c was in english lang.

For most rusell groups GCSE's won't matter unless you've not got the standard C in Maths+English lang. Just make sure you do well in your a-levels and you should be good to apply to a russell group.
Original post by Dilzo999
For most rusell groups GCSE's won't matter unless you've not got the standard C in Maths+English lang. Just make sure you do well in your a-levels and you should be good to apply to a russell group.

Is it, oh well thanks for replyin. By the way i am currently takin maths, further maths, physics and psychology.
Original post by Terminator95
Is it, oh well thanks for replyin. By the way i am currently takin maths, further maths, physics and psychology.

The only GCSE's contribute to are either Oxford, LSE or Medicine/Dentistry/Vet courses.
can someone please tell me if i can retake individul GCSE modules and controlled assessments?
Original post by Millerman
can someone please tell me if i can retake individul GCSE modules and controlled assessments?

It depends what course you're on, for me to retake one of my science modules means retaking the other two at the same time but in my ict i can retake any unit without it affecting the others ! :smile: ...
I got 9 A*s, 2As - should I apply to Oxford for medicine if my AS levels are all As?
Reply 8829
Original post by king_revision
I got 9 A*s, 2As - should I apply to Oxford for medicine if my AS levels are all As?

The statistics are that a successful applicant for medicine has 94% A* grades at GCSE for Oxford. GCSES are looked upon heavily for selection for interview. You have missed 94% but if you think that you have a good chance, no one is stopping you! Obviously, make sure that you are certain that it is the right uni for you before applying. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I know someone that got in with much less, but had a great PS.
Reply 8831
Hi, can anyone just confirm when the deadline was for asking for the exam paper back, was just thinking about my English lit, don't want it remarked or anything, literally just a photocopy or the actual paper. With WJEC btw. Thanks :smile:
Original post by mazda21
Hi, can anyone just confirm when the deadline was for asking for the exam paper back, was just thinking about my English lit, don't want it remarked or anything, literally just a photocopy or the actual paper. With WJEC btw. Thanks :smile:

Most deadlines passed a couple of weeks ago I think. It's pretty late in the day for requests like this.
got 5A* 4A 3B 1C IS THAT GOOD ENOUGH
Reply 8834
Original post by aiko777
got 5A* 4A 3B 1C IS THAT GOOD ENOUGH

Relatively respectable. Not great though.

Posted from the iPad of awesomeness
Reply 8835

Yes, that is about average for a medicine applicant to Oxbridge. So much more depends on BMAT, interview, and UMS (for Cam') however.

Original post by Tuya
Relatively respectable. Not great though.

yes i agree i definitely could have done better
what id you get at GCSE if i may ask:smile:
Reply 8837
Original post by aiko777
yes i agree i definitely could have done better
what id you get at GCSE if i may ask:smile:

Sure,
7A*s 4As
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tuya
Sure,

7A*s 4As
I wasn't very pleased with them either, but I did do them in a comprehensive...

i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant
Original post by aiko777
i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant

Slightly?:biggrin:

Latest