The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aja89
Absolutely. :colonhash:

Should watch films from Top 250. Most of them are truly amazing films.
Reply 8881
Original post by tillicollapse
Should watch films from Top 250. Most of them are truly amazing films.

Seen most of them and didn't want to repeat watch. Hadn't seen any of the bottom 100 and thought they might make interesting articles. :colondollar:
Original post by aja89
Seen most of them and didn't want to repeat watch. Hadn't seen any of the bottom 100 and thought they might make interesting articles. :colondollar:

With me its the other way around. The classics, I watch them once every year.........makes you love them even more.
Just went to see Captain Phillips and was completely blown away.

Seeing the trailer a couple of week ago, I assumed it was just a Hollywood re-make of Kapringen (and that sort of thing makes me cross). I also thought "hmm...Tom Hanks? Yawn" But when I realised it was by Paul Greengrass I thought it would be worth a watch.

It is a really brilliant movie, easily the best I have seen this year. My friend and I left the cinema shaking with emotion. It really does put you through the wringer as if you have been through the experience yourself.

10/10 from me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Plato's Trousers

Seeing the trailer a couple of week ago, I assumed it was just a Hollywood re-make of Kapringen (and that sort of thing makes me cross). I also thought "hmm...Tom Hanks? Yawn" But when I realised it was by Paul Greengrass I thought it would be worth a watch.

It is a really brilliant movie, easily the best I have seen this year. My friend and I left the cinema shaking with emotion. It really does put you through the wringer as if you have been through the experience yourself.

10/10 from me.

I saw a youtube video about SEALs and they discussed the SEAL team that carried out the mission. I didn't even know they were making a film about it at the time. Sadly I don't remember the name of the video.

I recently saw a trailer for it in cinema, didn't get too caught up in it. Will probably watch. But really, really waiting for Lone Survivor, that looks like exactly the kind of film I love.
Reply 8885

10/10 from me.

Very much looking forward to this. Ditto the reaction to Hanks being in it, but I do have a lot of time for Greengrass: absolutely loved both Bloody Sunday and United 93. I have similar thoughts about Gravity; normally, I wouldn't be especially enthused by the idea of a Clooney-Bullock movie :p: but this one actually looks and sounds really good! I haven't seen much of Cuaron before to form a presumption, but the reviews have been almost invariably glowing.
Original post by aja89
Looking forward to watching Blue Jasmine, Kermode says Cate Blanchett is nailed on for the Best Actress Oscar. An early shout!

Yes, not seen it but it does sound that way.

And I'm tipping Mr Hanks for Best Actor for Captain Phillips - you heard it here first :smile:

Original post by aja89
Did another IMDB bottom 100 movie, Gigli this time. :lolwut:

I still can't quite decide if this is a noble or a foolish endeavour! :tongue: :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
I just got The Purge on DVD to watch after I've done all my work. Any good?

And I'm tipping Mr Hanks for Best Actor for Captain Phillips - you heard it here first :smile:

Bold statement!

Captain Phillips got 5-stars in a review I read and I was quite surprised, but your review has reinforced the need to see this film.
Original post by pierreboobvier
I just got The Purge on DVD to watch after I've done all my work. Any good?

First half/third...basically the premise is fantastic but they don't run with it. It becomes a bog standard home invasion movie. A shame really. Lots of potential in the idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finding Dory (2015) AHHHHH XD Any opinions or thoughts on this?
Original post by silent ninja
First half/third...basically the premise is fantastic but they don't run with it. It becomes a bog standard home invasion movie. A shame really. Lots of potential in the idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it still worth a watch?
Reply 8892
Yes, not seen it but it does sound that way.

I still can't quite decide if this is a noble or a foolish endeavour! :tongue: :lol:

Have you seen 12 Years a Slave yet? I hear Ejiofer is utterly fantastic in it. :holmes:

Original post by tazzron
I recommend 'Children of Men' by him, if you've not seen it yet.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, so it's up on my list. :yep:
Original post by danny111
Is it still worth a watch?

Yeah it's alright. Worth watching for the concept. Okay action. It's not a bad film, The Purge could've been so much more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8894
Original post by silent ninja
Yeah it's alright. Worth watching for the concept. Okay action. It's not a bad film, The Purge could've been so much more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was an incredibly short film as well :confused:

It would have been better as an ensemble film showing the different aspects of the night and the different layers of society. The standard home invasion part was pretty terrible and the actions of some of the characters moronic.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abiraleft
Have you seen 12 Years a Slave yet? I hear Ejiofer is utterly fantastic in it. :holmes:

I've heard a lot of good things about it, so it's up on my list. :yep:

Hmm.. Not heard of 12 years a slave - when was it released?

I didn't think much of Children of Men, I'm afraid. :nope:
Reply 8896
Hmm.. Not heard of 12 years a slave - when was it released?

I didn't think much of Children of Men, I'm afraid. :nope:

It's scheduled to be released next month, I believe - the current rave reviews are based on a limited US release and festival feedback.

[video="youtube;vUQNjfhlREk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUQNjfhlREk[/video]
Just saw Captain Phillips. Outstanding, so intense and so brilliantly well done.

My bets on Paul Greengrass and Tom Hanks for the Oscars.
Reply 8898

Good review.

Yes, Captain Phillips is worth watching for perhaps the acting alone. I've always held Tom Hanks in high regard and was expecting his performance to be nothing short of exceptional. What I particularly liked from Hanks was his ability to portray a character who was internally petrified but yet was superficially calm; and at the same time was able to be subtly patronizing. Hanks display of the effects of horror at the end was really touching.

Although Barkhad Abdi was very good, I believe he was very type-casted (which of course is great as it makes the character believable).

Although the movie was ~2 and a half hours long it seemed much shorter to me. The movie was very anxiety-induced and suspenseful, and both the music and cinematography helped to achieve this. The movie was repetitive in certain places but I believe it created even more anxiety and suspense. With respect to those who are already familiar with the true story, I could see why they might have been impatient with the movie.

Overall, the film is great for what it is and the acting really did it justice. However I don’t think the movie itself will be a “timeless classic”, it will eventually fade into distant memory.

I imagine Hanks will be nominated for an Academy Award although whether he'll win is still up in the air - I'm excited to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor will pull out of the bag in 12 Years a Slave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending