The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by bigwhalegambler
After watching some random Heat games last year, and having seen this:

i really want to start following the NBA season, but I just don't know where to start?

I understand that there is an East conference, and West, and then they have play-offs? And i don't understand 'the draft'?

Could someone explain the structure e.g. in football in Premier League, 20 teams play 38 games, home and away, top 4 go on to a champions league, bottom 3 get relegated, players can be transferred in and out in Summer and January etc.

Remember to support anyone apart from the Heat. Structure is pretty easy. To add to 419's explanation, in the playoffs the 1st seeded team from each conference faces the 8th seeded team from their respective conference, 2nd with the 7th and so on. The finals are played between conference champions.
Original post by S-man10
Remember to support anyone apart from the Heat. Structure is pretty easy. To add to 419's explanation, in the playoffs the 1st seeded team from each conference faces the 8th seeded team from their respective conference, 2nd with the 7th and so on. The finals are played between conference champions.

Why so?

The Bulls seem quite a historical, cool team tbh

Why are there no transfers like in football?
Reply 622
Original post by S-man10
knicker bockers not winning this year

Original post by S-man10
because it was legitimate, no one if going to dunk from the 3-point line unless they can fly :tongue:

That 1 on 1 game was a fun game, nothing more :tongue:

Well wilt chamberlain could dunk from the free throw line without a run up which I doubt anybody before or since has done.

It was more a theoretical question, obviously I accept it's incredibly unlikely to happen but it's not uncommon for players to shoot from outside but end up inside the line

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why so?

It's like becoming a football fan and supporting man city, the heat are the team everyone loves to hate (I want them to win just because of LeBron)

There aren't transfers like football there are trades and it's a lot more common for stars to play to the end of their contract and leave.

The draft is where each team picks players. They're usually college players but some players from abroad enter the draft as well. So the worst teams usually will have the highest picks and then take it turns to pick 60 players

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't even know this thread existed! Hey fellow Basketball lovers :biggrin:
Reply 626
Why so?

Bunch of ***** tbh. Support the Pacers or the bulls or the thunder or spurs. Good choices. You'll just have to watch and decide for yourself

American sports are different. They have salary caps unlike football and players only move within countries apart from someone coming from the euroleague through the draft. The draft and free agents are the main source for team as players. You don't have transfers because of the cap otherwise the big market team would buy everyone. You do have the odd situation where a team trades a players for cash or draft pick.

Original post by HarryJames
Well wilt chamberlain could dunk from the free throw line without a run up which I doubt anybody before or since has done.

It was more a theoretical question, obviously I accept it's incredibly unlikely to happen but it's not uncommon for players to shoot from outside but end up inside the line

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always disputed that. Same thing with the claim he had sex with 20,000 women. If you jump and shoot outside the 3 point line and land inside the the arc then its a 3.
Reply 627
It's like becoming a football fan and supporting man city, the heat are the team everyone loves to hate (I want them to win just because of LeBron)

There aren't transfers like football there are trades and it's a lot more common for stars to play to the end of their contract and leave.

The draft is where each team picks players. They're usually college players but some players from abroad enter the draft as well. So the worst teams usually will have the highest picks and then take it turns to pick 60 players

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heat = Barcelona
Original post by S-man10

I always disputed that. Same thing with the claim he had sex with 20,000 women. If you jump and shoot outside the 3 point line and land inside the the arc then its a 3.

What gives you reason to dispute it? The NCAA and NBA wouldn't have changed the rule for no reason. I know that know but my question about dunking applies a similar idea that it's where your feet are at the beginning of the shot that determines a 3 point play

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 629
What gives you reason to dispute it? The NCAA and NBA wouldn't have changed the rule for no reason. I know that know but my question about dunking applies a similar idea that it's where your feet are at the beginning of the shot that determines a 3 point play

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats the thing, they changed the rule, so how close was the free throw line? And bear in mind you could get a running start... that was the main rule change
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 630
Anyone know what Chanel will have all the nba games? Or shall i buy the league pass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 631
Original post by Pro xi
Anyone know what Chanel will have all the nba games? Or shall i buy the league pass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sky i think will give you a game on the weekends. But if you want to watch it all worth the investment on league pass. Or you could just stream it
Reply 632
Original post by Pro xi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Espn will have some televised games too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 633
Watching the few clip of open court on YouTube is the biggest tease ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
Watching the few clip of open court on YouTube is the biggest tease ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 635
you should thank simon for finding these. do yourself a favour and save them on your hard drive in case they get removed
Reply 637
Reply 638
Original post by S-man10
Sky i think will give you a game on the weekends. But if you want to watch it all worth the investment on league pass. Or you could just stream it

Speaking of streams, could someone send me a good link or 2 to use in preparation for next week?
Reply 639

No one wants it with the knicks. MWP and KMart will be intimidating everyone on the court.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest