The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NikolaT
Let it give you the motivation to prove the targets wrong. :wink:

I hope it does! Unfortunately, for now at least, I'm still very much in GCSE mode, procrastinating like mental. Need to get a study plan nailed down by the end of half term.

But on the bright side, we have our Politics trip to Parliament on Friday, should be really enjoyable!
Reply 6281
Original post by sarahiscool
Anyone on half term ???

Starts Wednesday:biggrin:,wbu
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What's the downside of doing 3 AS Levels then 4?

I know universities state they want 3 A levels but don't mention 4 AS levels hmm...

any advice?

Not a lot, to be entirely honest. Though universities would definitely prefer 4 AS levels, that's not usually a prerequisite for applying anywhere, and - unless you're applying for a scarily competitive course - the preference other candidates would get is relatively negligible. If you're capable of 4 AS levels, I'd definitely advise you to go ahead with 4, but if you're really going to struggle with 4, doing 3 subjects isn't a bad move - especially if the 4th AS is related to your subject area, and would therefore reflect badly upon your ability to study your chosen subject at uni - AAB looks better than AACd. Of course it does mean you can't really drop one at A2, but if you like your subjects that shouldn't be an issue!
dear god havent been here in a while ive been drowned with mocks upon homework upon revision :frown: joiniing biology a month late has its repercussions have a mock tomorrow
Original post by ultralex
Ah sorry yes, my mistake, I meant target grades! Still, it's a little infuriating when I got all As and Bs at GCSE and I'm targeting Cs at A-level.

I presume that, like my school, your target grades were calculated on an average point score sort of deal. If so, considering the lack of an A* at AS Level, it could make perfect sense if you got As and Bs at GCSE.

But they're targets. Not predictions. They're what you definitely shouldn't drop below, not what you should get.
Original post by MangoFreak
It's hardly useless. It's probably one of the more useful things you can do, but it's certainly not required for any university entry :biggrin:

Doesn't appeal to you then? :tongue:

I just have no idea what I'd do it on, and my schools results in it last year weren't particularly good hm
I presume that, like my school, your target grades were calculated on an average point score sort of deal. If so, considering the lack of an A* at AS Level, it could make perfect sense if you got As and Bs at GCSE.

But they're targets. Not predictions. They're what you definitely shouldn't drop below, not what you should get.

Hey i didnt know this... Thanks a lot! I ended up getting Cs as well was gutted aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
Hey i didnt know this... Thanks a lot! I ended up getting Cs as well was gutted aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can definitely* do better if you want to :h:

*I don't actually know you, you might be particularly academically challenged, so don't hold me to that :tongue:
anyone else doing the studentinvestor.org competition?
You can definitely* do better if you want to :h:

*I don't actually know you, you might be particularly academically challenged, so don't hold me to that :tongue:

haha i don't know i had A*s and As in my as choices at gcse but as is pretty different compared to gcses at the mo aha. Thanks though :smile:
Original post by Nat_LPS
haha i don't know i had A*s and As in my as choices at gcse but as is pretty different compared to gcses at the mo aha. Thanks though :smile:

Are you enjoying A Levels so far? I'm finding them really fun :tongue: I have a great Chemistry teacher, and the other teachers are fine also.
Reply 6291
Original post by NinjaPandaa
anyone else doing the studentinvestor.org competition?

I might do. My college has done very well in the past so there's a lot of teachers encouraging the economics and accounting students to do it :s-smilie:
Original post by Cluck
I might do. My college has done very well in the past so there's a lot of teachers encouraging the economics and accounting students to do it :s-smilie:
ooh how successful is successful? you should definitely have a go because it's not really a massive commitment as you could just leave it to fizzle out if that makes sense?
ooh how successful is successful? you should definitely have a go because it's not really a massive commitment as you could just leave it to fizzle out if that makes sense?

Is it the one held in London?
Reply 6294

I think a team of ours was second in the past few years. Unless I get hooked in by some economics students I can't do it though, I think. (also I am so happy to be done with economics after doing it last year, I don't particularly want to touch it with a barge pole :biggrin:)
Are you enjoying A Levels so far? I'm finding them really fun :tongue: I have a great Chemistry teacher, and the other teachers are fine also.

yup overall, i like being able to have a bit more time to really go through something or practice in frees now, they're nice :tongue:
Awesome. Yeah same with Chem, our teacher's great-different aha. From what people are saying the chem/science teachers are seeming more interesting than expected :redface:
I'm glad they're all willing to help so I hope this continues :tongue:
Are you being tested a lot?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
yup overall, i like being able to have a bit more time to really go through something or practice in frees now, they're nice :tongue:
Awesome. Yeah same with Chem, our teacher's great-different aha. From what people are saying the chem/science teachers are seeming more interesting than expected :redface:
I'm glad they're all willing to help so I hope this continues :tongue:
Are you being tested a lot?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess I am. I don't really think about it :tongue: It is nice to actually get personal feedback from teachers, rather than generalised notes about the entire class.
Reply 6297
Us too! Lost most of our money!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Is it the one held in London?
it's an online competition for the first round and then there are regional finals and a national final, which I presume is held in london

Original post by Cluck
I think a team of ours was second in the past few years. Unless I get hooked in by some economics students I can't do it though, I think. (also I am so happy to be done with economics after doing it last year, I don't particularly want to touch it with a barge pole :biggrin:)
ooh that's good, it's the first year my school's done it

yeah I feel like the short term nature leaves you at a bit of a disadvantage if you're really trying to look at the long term trends, and that you could easily make a killing by just randomly picking some (although I guess you could say that's what the stock market's like anyway). you've left me really intrigued by this feature now :confused: which feature even is it?
Heey people :smile: I'm new :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest