The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8840
Original post by aiko777
i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant

That is true, yes. However, I feel that I haven't achieved my standards, because those very predictions were not enough to get me into a grammar sixth form I had my heart set on, which was quite a blow to me.
The main reason I'm not too happy was because English lit. And lang. We're no more than 4 marks off A*s.
Reply 8841
Original post by qwertyking
Slightly?:biggrin:

Okay okay, explanation in above post.
Yes, those results are great compared to the national avg. etc... But as I say ^^^^^^^^^^
Original post by aiko777
i do think your results are quite impressive but i think you should not say that you are very pleased because there are people who got lower results how do you make them feel if with 7A* you say you are not pleased frankly you come across slightly arrogant

How is he being arrogant? Some people want to get straight A* - that shows hard work and determination, not arrogance.
Original post by Tuya
Relatively respectable. Not great though.

Posted from the iPad of awesomeness

Who on earth do you think you are? 'Not great though' How degrading is that? Sort it out, ****.
Reply 8844
Original post by charjoel
Who on earth do you think you are? 'Not great though' How degrading is that?

Well, if something is not great, then I say so... I mean, if he's bothered to ask how good 5A*s are, on this website, there is a very good chance (statistically) that he will be applying to a respectable university, possibly including Oxbridge. And in respect to that, one must frankly realise that 5A*s is below average (yet not untypical) for an applicant, let alone a successful applicant. And the asker himself agrees that he could have done better (see above).
Plus, if the only response I'm restricted to, is a positive one, what's the point to the question? It's like attention seeking...
Furthermore, saying 5A*s are 'not great' is not the worst that has happen on this site; by a long shot. You must be new here.
Just to top it off, there are definitely people, (some on this site, some I know personally) who honestly think 5A*s is pathetic. So, modestly saying they are 'not great' is not at all degrading, but as I see it, a message that they could have been better - which extends to - work harder at AS for top grades and don't get overconfident.
Reply 8845
Original post by Tuya
That is true, yes. However, I feel that I haven't achieved my standards, because those very predictions were not enough to get me into a grammar sixth form I had my heart set on, which was quite a blow to me.
The main reason I'm not too happy was because English lit. And lang. We're no more than 4 marks off A*s.

Was your exam board AQA?
They are b*stards.
I had my initial English language remarked-went up 8 marks, from a C to a B.
Then I had ny retake remarked and it went up 12 marks! From an A to an A*!
So I feel for you man.
Did you get a chance for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tuya

Way to bring someone down, well done mr arrogant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8847
Original post by Ava-
Was your exam board AQA?
They are b*stards.
I had my initial English language remarked-went up 8 marks, from a C to a B.
Then I had ny retake remarked and it went up 12 marks! From an A to an A*!
So I feel for you man.
Did you get a chance for a remark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did aqa... I didn't get to remake because I did the exam in January. Plus, I did the last year, I'm. Now in year 13
Reply 8848
Original post by whisperingtears

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have seriously had enough if you retards. Look at my above post about another guy who thought the same as you, and actually know TSR before you post on it...
Guys PER-LEASE, what are you lot 5?! We shouldn't be judging others grades, or for that matter asking if they are good enough? Who has the right to set a standard for "good enough"? This is the sort of thing that really annoys me about society, particularly in education. As much as people should try their best and make the most of their education - the competitive and arrogance among so many people is really not necessary. As long as people try their best and work hard, it the long run to others it doesn't matter if you got 13A* or 13G grades. We should value people for their intrinsic worth - and people shouldn't be judged on their likelihood to get into Oxbridge or not! As long as we work hard, and do our best for society and work towards your goals, other peoples out put shouldn't get to you or bring you down. Haters gonna hate, but seriously guys, just try YOUR best and stop this horrible competiveness and comparison - think how grateful we are to have education. AMEN.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by student1508
Guys PER-LEASE, what are you lot 5?! We shouldn't be judging others grades, or for that matter asking if they are good enough? Who has the right to set a standard for "good enough"? This is the sort of thing that really annoys me about society, particularly in education. As much as people should try their best and make the most of their education - the competitive and arrogance among so many people is really not necessary. As long as people try their best and work hard, it the long run to others it doesn't matter if you got 13A* or 13G grades. We should value people for their intrinsic worth - and people shouldn't be judged on their likelihood to get into Oxbridge or not! As long as we work hard, and do our best for society and work towards your goals, other peoples out put shouldn't get to you or bring you down. Haters gonna hate, but seriously guys, just try YOUR best and stop this horrible competiveness and comparison - think how grateful we are to have education. AMEN.

I agree with you to a certain extent - people's worth should definitely not be measured by their grades or on whether they can get into Oxbridge. There's more to life. That being said, there IS a standard for what is good enough (e.g. requirements to get into certain unis).. people just want to know.. They ask for it, after all. That still is no excuse for making people feel bad about what they have though - and you're right - we should be grateful.
Original post by whisperingtears

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tuya is not being arrogant at all. He's just stating the truth. Sure everybody has their standards and by his, 5A* 4A 2B 1C can be deemed as 'not great'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My thread is still running xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chickenman
Tuya is not being arrogant at all. He's just stating the truth. Sure everybody has their standards and by his, 5A* 4A 2B 1C can be deemed as 'not great'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good grades certainly don't equal common sense, emotional intelligence, tact or sensitivity. Arrogance is a very unattractive quality.
Original post by Manrij
Are you resiting GCSE Maths in modular or linear in November 2013?

Yep Edexcel LInear :smile:
Also drama never got appealled to a C :frown: 2 UMS off a C for the rest of my LIFE :mad::angry::frown::mad:
Original post by Tuya

The C and the B let you down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8856
Original post by Arunthathy
The C and the B let you down

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume you are referring to the C in my physics coursework and the B in a statistic module. Okay, they do look a bit annoying, but after all, they didn't really affect my overall score/grade as I'm predicted A*s in Maths and Physics. Plus, they're A levels, which are meant to be harder, by definition.
And, btw, what are you trying to prove? I don't get it...
Reply 8857
Original post by student1508

Apparently I raised quite the debate...
Lemme just make clear my intentions again. - my comment that 5A*s are respectable but not great was in complete harmony with what a majority of Oxbridge successful applicants/applicants/tutors think. This was based off my knowledge of the institutions, and experience with speaking to some of the people. Apologies of this has hurt anybody, I honestly do not consider someone with 5A*s stupid just because that is 2 less than 7, nor do I want to call them extraordinarily smart, because that crosses the line between being nice and spurring overconfidence.
I also would like to say that I wouldn't look down on someone with, say, 2A*s, because for all I know! they could be a lot smarter than me! but just didn't spend hours on end revising for exams. If someone does look down on 2A*s, they are simply giving themselves the potential false assurance that they are in some intrinsic way, worth more than said person.
My comment, as I have said previously, was based off the Oxbridge statistics, and almost solely on that basis. The reason I chose Oxbridge was because that is what most people on TSR ask such questions, so I might as well tell them.
Original post by Tuya
Apparently I raised quite the debate...
Lemme just make clear my intentions again. - my comment that 5A*s are respectable but not great was in complete harmony with what a majority of Oxbridge successful applicants/applicants/tutors think. This was based off my knowledge of the institutions, and experience with speaking to some of the people. Apologies of this has hurt anybody, I honestly do not consider someone with 5A*s stupid just because that is 2 less than 7, nor do I want to call them extraordinarily smart, because that crosses the line between being nice and spurring overconfidence.
I also would like to say that I wouldn't look down on someone with, say, 2A*s, because for all I know! they could be a lot smarter than me! but just didn't spend hours on end revising for exams. If someone does look down on 2A*s, they are simply giving themselves the potential false assurance that they are in some intrinsic way, worth more than said person.
My comment, as I have said previously, was based off the Oxbridge statistics, and almost solely on that basis. The reason I chose Oxbridge was because that is what most people on TSR ask such questions, so I might as well tell them.

I completely understand and appreciate what your saying - and I wasn't like trying to have a go at you at all:biggrin: Hope you aren't annoyed at me :colondollar:
Original post by Tuya
I assume you are referring to the C in my physics coursework and the B in a statistic module. Okay, they do look a bit annoying, but after all, they didn't really affect my overall score/grade as I'm predicted A*s in Maths and Physics. Plus, they're A levels, which are meant to be harder, by definition.
And, btw, what are you trying to prove? I don't get it...

Sorry I though you were talking about gcse not a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest