The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Right so I have no idea as to why this reply didn't send to you 2 days ago when I made it but whatever its here now :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Good good :colone:

:colone: Hehe you know me :littleangel: :angel:

:eek3: :mad: :cry2:

:p:

Sozzums... :aetsch: :ahee::bl: :cookie: :hubba:

I can give you this though... :crown:

:emo:

:pimp: :pd::pee: ....jk here ya go XD

:hugs:

Holy ****, that's a lot of travelling! Go you :biggrin: Sounds amazing. And I had no idea you were from the Sunshine State! (Or is that Florida? :ninja: )

LMFAO IKR! Um... (in the style of the tweety bird) you said a bad word naught naughty :nn: :rofl: :ninja2:

A
h, OCD in this instance stands for Order of the Carmelites (Discalced). Tiz the order of nuns she was in charge of :yep:

Oh yeah the Carmelite nuns! I know a few, they're lovely :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha, silly TSR, not sending the message :shakecane:

Carmelites are AWESOME! I wanted to be one, until various people pointed out that it's probably not my calling in life :colondollar:
Today is the feast of Blessed John Paul II. Seems strange to be having a feast day for someone all of us remember, and maybe even some may have seen. My aunt even met him.
Reply 5863
Shared this over on X-soc, but figure it'll be of more use over here:
A friend linked me to a wonderful website for novenas where you can sign up to e-mails where they send you out a reminder each day, which includes the prayer. Really useful, I'm terrible at wanting to do them and forgetting... :erm:

Anyways, here you are: http://www.praymorenovenas.com/st-jude-novena/

Current one is a novena to St. Jude - the patron saint of lost (/impossible) causes. Suggested intention is for the unemployed.
Anyways, thought I'd share.

Also, I've just realised that today was the last youbelieve. Dratification :colonhash:
(youbelieve = a series of monthly evening talks relating to the year of faith in Westminster.)
I've been unable to go to so many of them that I really wanted to go to this one :sad:
Not sure if this is the right place to post, maybe i need a separate thread but I'm considering this as research for my first essay for uni. Are there any Catholics who still choose not to eat meat on fridays? Since 1966 it wasn't required anymore (according to my lecturers powerpoint) but I'm curious to see if some still don't. Also how many choose not to eat meat on fridays during Lent?
Original post by kath_igidbashian
Not sure if this is the right place to post, maybe i need a separate thread but I'm considering this as research for my first essay for uni. Are there any Catholics who still choose not to eat meat on fridays? Since 1966 it wasn't required anymore (according to my lecturers powerpoint) but I'm curious to see if some still don't. Also how many choose not to eat meat on fridays during Lent?

I bet you could find plenty of older people who continue this practice, on Catholic Answers Forums. Lots of older Americans there who take the old practices very seriously indeed :yes:
Reply 5866

This was got rid of, but came back a couple of years ago, so it's now required again. Consequently, I don't.
(most of the time anyway. I've forgotten one or twice - also, you don't need to if it's a solemnity)

Additionally, it wasn't required, but you were supposed to do some other form of penance on the Friday.

Also doesn't apply if you're ill, so TLG, you're off the hook!
(edited 10 years ago)

There was a request by the Catholic Bishops of England and Wales to revive the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays, made one year after Pope Benedict visited. It is in a sense a revival of the practice ended in 1966 (time of the Second Vatican Council). I have no idea if it has been widely adopted or not.

http://rcdow.org.uk/education/news/friday-penance/

On a separate note, I think the Pope has acted correctly about the Limburg bishop who has been extfavagant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24638430
Original post by Aula
This was got rid of, but came back a couple of years ago, so it's now required again. Consequently, I don't.
(most of the time anyway. I've forgotten one or twice - also, you don't need to if it's a solemnity)

Additionally, it wasn't required, but you were supposed to do some other form of penance on the Friday.

Original post by barnetlad
There was a request by the Catholic Bishops of England and Wales to revive the tradition of not eating meat on Fridays, made one year after Pope Benedict visited. It is in a sense a revival of the practice ended in 1966 (time of the Second Vatican Council). I have no idea if it has been widely adopted or not.

http://rcdow.org.uk/education/news/friday-penance/

On a separate note, I think the Pope has acted correctly about the Limburg bishop who has been extfavagant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24638430

Oh bugger, didn't even know about this....
hmm learn something new everyday, maybe I'll correct my lecturer tomorrow.. :ninja:
Reply 5869
oh I didn't know this existed. Hey everyone :hi:
Reply 5870
Original post by Tai Ga

Hey :h:

Welcome to the thread.
Reply 5871
Is this society for sincere Roman Catholics who live their lives by the faith? Or people who went to "Catholic" schools?
Reply 5872
Original post by Titus20
Is this society for sincere Roman Catholics who live their lives by the faith? Or people who went to "Catholic" schools?

Mostly the former, though I guess if the latter wanted to hang around that'd be okay :h:
Reply 5873
Original post by Aula
Mostly the former, though I guess if the latter wanted to hang around that'd be okay :h:

Excellent! How do I join? :biggrin:
Reply 5874
Original post by Titus20
Excellent! How do I join? :biggrin:

IDK if there's an actual joining type thing, but you're welcome to come post here :h:
Reply 5875
Ooh, y'know, I'd completely forgotten about the groups thingy on here until I had a notification telling me there was a join group request (which I can do nothing about, and therefore am not going to lose the notification... :colonhash:)

shinytoy
:jebus:

Heyo,
Noticed you've not posted for a while on this site at all, and that there are quite a few join requests.

I don't know whether the groups are actually useful for anything, but it might be worth looking at sorting it out again?
If no reply, I guess maybe we should ask the mods to transfer group leaderness. What do peeps think?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aula

:ahee:

:ninja:

Original post by Tai Ga

Original post by Titus20

:wavey: :hi: :wavey:
Reply 5877
Anyone here know of Michael Voris?
Original post by Titus20

:nah:
Reply 5879
Original post by Titus20

Yes, and I'm not sure I approve of the way he does things :erm:

TLG - he's the guy from church militant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending