The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aninnnn
Yes, yes, it was just an example :smile: Oh, wonderful! Thanks again, you cannot imagine how relieved I am that I've actually found this long-awaited answer!:biggrin: Have a good night. x

Glad I could help! :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 8361
Original post by LolaXX
Hey, I have a question about studying abroad! I want to apply for the IR + French + Spanish course and there are two courses listed, one with the extra mention of a year abroad (so 5 years in total) and the other one without a year abroad (so 4 years)! Is it also possible to go abroad on a 4 year course? Say, in your third year or something? Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Lola, I'm a languages student at SA. It is certainly possible to go abroad on a four year course, but only if you take the third year as a university year in another country i.e. you go to Spain and study IR, Spanish and French for a year or you go to France and study IR, French and Spanish for a year. You have to get pretty reasonable grades in second year to be eligible for this option and if you choose to go to, say, France you'll have to get the go ahead from the Spanish and IR departments to study these subjects abroad. and vice versa The grades you get abroad count as what would have been your junior honours year back in St Andrews (the third year). You then come back to St Andrews for the final year of your degree.

The five year option (what I'm on right now) involves taking a sort of year out, but one which is credited by the university so it either involves working for the British Council as an English language assistant in a school or taking some kind of employment abroad approved by the university. During this year you produce a 5000 word project but there are no exams. When you get back you do both your junior and your senior honours years in St Andrews and graduate a year after your peers on a four year course.

Hope this is what you wanted to know!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey. I'm currently doing my A-levels and looking to apply to St Andrews for Economics and Modern History. However, coming from a london state school i've been hearing a lot of negativity from teachers...e.g you won't fit in, their all posh rich kids. i know these are exaggerated claims but i'm at a lockhead on what to do, any londoners over there on TSR willing to give me an insight? would be especially grateful if someone could tell me how the course is going for them?
Original post by Justjohn96
Hey. I'm currently doing my A-levels and looking to apply to St Andrews for Economics and Modern History. However, coming from a london state school i've been hearing a lot of negativity from teachers...e.g you won't fit in, their all posh rich kids. i know these are exaggerated claims but i'm at a lockhead on what to do, any londoners over there on TSR willing to give me an insight? would be especially grateful if someone could tell me how the course is going for them?

Not a Londoner (well, not since I was 7), but I definitely haven't come across anyone problematic. There certainly are rich people, 'posh' people, etc. but there's such a mix of people here. As far as I've noticed, people make friends based on their interests and personalities, not their economic backgrounds and upbringings. While there may be some posh people, they're all friendly, and they aren't a majority.
Reply 8364
What is the ticket price for St.Andrews to Edinburgh with student discount ? (matriculation card with me ) This is pretty urgent so thanks to anyone who answer.
So scary! I'm most of the way through Ucas and now I've got half my unis applied for, including SA!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElizabethRG
Not a Londoner (well, not since I was 7), but I definitely haven't come across anyone problematic. There certainly are rich people, 'posh' people, etc. but there's such a mix of people here. As far as I've noticed, people make friends based on their interests and personalities, not their economic backgrounds and upbringings. While there may be some posh people, they're all friendly, and they aren't a majority.

The problem with St Andrews isn't necessarily too many rich folk but the oozing pretentiousness of most of the students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8367
Original post by Midlander
The problem with St Andrews isn't necessarily too many rich folk but the oozing pretentiousness of most of the students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that "most" of the students is a generalisation. Whilst such people do exist, and probably in greater numbers at St Andrews than at other universities, the fact is that many of the students are not like this. The vast majority of the people I know are very down to earth and not pretentious at all.
Reply 8368
Original post by becko37
Hi Lola, I'm a languages student at SA. It is certainly possible to go abroad on a four year course, but only if you take the third year as a university year in another country i.e. you go to Spain and study IR, Spanish and French for a year or you go to France and study IR, French and Spanish for a year. You have to get pretty reasonable grades in second year to be eligible for this option and if you choose to go to, say, France you'll have to get the go ahead from the Spanish and IR departments to study these subjects abroad. and vice versa The grades you get abroad count as what would have been your junior honours year back in St Andrews (the third year). You then come back to St Andrews for the final year of your degree.

The five year option (what I'm on right now) involves taking a sort of year out, but one which is credited by the university so it either involves working for the British Council as an English language assistant in a school or taking some kind of employment abroad approved by the university. During this year you produce a 5000 word project but there are no exams. When you get back you do both your junior and your senior honours years in St Andrews and graduate a year after your peers on a four year course.

Hope this is what you wanted to know!

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I wanted to know! :smile:
Original post by becko37
I would say that "most" of the students is a generalisation. Whilst such people do exist, and probably in greater numbers at St Andrews than at other universities, the fact is that many of the students are not like this. The vast majority of the people I know are very down to earth and not pretentious at all.

Maybe we have different interpretations of that-in my experience such people are there but are very hard to find amidst the pretentious majority.
Original post by nightwalkery
has anyone met any asian american or other minority americans at st. andrews? just curious...

Yes, I have a few hungarian american friends in my halls and my best friend is scottish canadian :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Does the University/any of the halls have a policy on cyber bullying?
Original post by ElizabethRG
Does the University/any of the halls have a policy on cyber bullying?

Probably. I would contact the warden in the first instance if it's in halls, or student services if not.
Original post by Ecosse_14
Probably. I would contact the warden in the first instance if it's in halls, or student services if not.

Thank you. It's not a massive issue but definitely something I want sorted out.
Reply 8374
Hi, in my final year if school and looking ahead to university. Hopefully I will be accepted for medicine and was wondering if anyone has any tips on a suitable laptop?
Was thinking MacBook Air/pro?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone advise me on what subjects I can take as part of the Psychology Tripos?? I am thinking down the Politics/Sociology/Biology route, eventually I would like to go down the Neuropsychology route and research eventually.....
Original post by Bright_blonde
Can anyone advise me on what subjects I can take as part of the Psychology Tripos?? I am thinking down the Politics/Sociology/Biology route, eventually I would like to go down the Neuropsychology route and research eventually.....

The psychology tripos?

I'm assuming you mean what extra subjects you can take along with psychology in your first year? St Andrews doesn't do politics or sociology (although some people take international relations in replacement of politics). If you're looking to go into neuropsychology then doing the neuroscience degree, or simply psychology and biology will be helpful.
I don't want to go down the pure Neuroscience route, I definitely want to stay more on the behavioural side of things.
Yes extra subjects is what I am talking about, I'm in Cambridge lingo mode, I apologise....
Do you take Psychol?
Original post by Bright_blonde
I don't want to go down the pure Neuroscience route, I definitely want to stay more on the behavioural side of things.
Yes extra subjects is what I am talking about, I'm in Cambridge lingo mode, I apologise....
Do you take Psychol?

I took it in my first 2 years as my extra subject, but dropped it before entering honours. I'd basically say study what you're interested in, or pick up a completely new subject which you like the look of. That's what the flexibility of the system is all about. :smile:
Hello there

I'm a prospective student who'd LOVE to be able to get offered a place in St Andrews. I'm considering IR & spanish or Spanish and German and IR.
So I've come here to ask about:

The course -- is anyone studying IR & a language? Or IR by itself? Or IR & somthing else? I'd love to hear about what you think of the uni, your time there, the application and any tips & tricks you may have (:

What other courses you chose. The thing with chosing IR and a language is that apart from St Andrews, there isn't really an amazing university that also offered this choice (the best apart from St Andrews being Exeter, which is really good but not really the same level of snaziness as St Andrews). I'm thinking about applying to IR & spanish for some unis and just IR for others so I can have some good uni choices.

Brings me on to my next point which is -- if you applied for any combined subject and a slightly different one, how did you make it work in you PS? I'm having trouble writing one that includes both but spanish not too much D:

I should mention that I'm a french student taking the OIB (Option Internationale du Baccalauréat), expecting to get around 15 or 16/20.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! It's hard for me to find people who know the stuff in France (:

Latest

Trending

Trending