The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Nice, have you visited any of those places yet? (Obviously not MIT). Why would you throw in a language? Is it just something you're interested in?

I applied to Cambridge, Manchester, Durham, Warwick and Leeds.
So far I have interviews at Manchester and Leeds, an offer from Warwick, and I'm waiting for responses from Durham and Cambridge. However, I only sent the Cambridge SAQ off this weekend, so I'm not expecting a reply for a while!

:colondollar: can't say I have... Though Cambridge open day I'll definitely attend. Imperial too actually. Hopefully. York I can go off what someone I know says... Edinburgh, hmm it's a bit far actually so I'll have to think carefully. And Durham is a quiet middle of nowhere, what's not to love :tongue:

I love languages. Daaamn, but also it'd be extremely useful to have.

Aaah best of luck! Physics right? With Maths? Best of luck though, I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:colondollar: can't say I have... Though Cambridge open day I'll definitely attend. Imperial too actually. Hopefully. York I can go off what someone I know says... Edinburgh, hmm it's a bit far actually so I'll have to think carefully. And Durham is a quiet middle of nowhere, what's not to love :tongue:

I love languages. Daaamn, but also it'd be extremely useful to have.

Aaah best of luck! Physics right? With Maths? Best of luck though, I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers.

I'd say visit every single Uni you plan to apply too. It's worth it. And also sensible!

Cambridge - Physical Nat Sci
Manchester - Physics with Theoretical Physics
Durham - Theoretical Physics
Warwick - Physics
Leeds - Theoretical Physics

It's going well so far! Just got to practice interview technique now.
I'd say visit every single Uni you plan to apply too. It's worth it. And also sensible!

Cambridge - Physical Nat Sci
Manchester - Physics with Theoretical Physics
Durham - Theoretical Physics
Warwick - Physics
Leeds - Theoretical Physics

It's going well so far! Just got to practice interview technique now.

It's so annoying living in Wales :colonhash: makes it harder though.

Snap on Cambridge if I do well enough to apply :tongue:

This may sound stupid, physics and theoretical physics... How different are they?and why are they different? :colondollar:
It's so annoying living in Wales :colonhash: makes it harder though.

Snap on Cambridge if I do well enough to apply :tongue:

This may sound stupid, physics and theoretical physics... How different are they?and why are they different? :colondollar:

I suppose it just makes visiting Uni's a lot more expensive /:

I'm sure you will do well enough, I have no doubts.

It's not stupid! Theoretical physics is the most mathematical areas of physics - my favourite :smile: I much prefer the theoretical (number crunching) to the experimental (hands on practical work).
I suppose it just makes visiting Uni's a lot more expensive /:

I'm sure you will do well enough, I have no doubts.

It's not stupid! Theoretical physics is the most mathematical areas of physics - my favourite :smile: I much prefer the theoretical (number crunching) to the experimental (hands on practical work).

Very expensive :sadnod: I'll have to find a way I suppose.

Why thank you, hopefully I'll secure the Maths grade this year, and potentially further maths in terms of three modules needing to be over 90. (FP2, M2 and S2. Then I could even get C/Ds in FP3 and M3 and still have an A* :eek:)

Aah, I see. So is theoretical physics not normally covered much in a physics degree?
Very expensive :sadnod: I'll have to find a way I suppose.

Why thank you, hopefully I'll secure the Maths grade this year, and potentially further maths in terms of three modules needing to be over 90. (FP2, M2 and S2. Then I could even get C/Ds in FP3 and M3 and still have an A* :eek:)

Aah, I see. So is theoretical physics not normally covered much in a physics degree?

Would you still be completing 3A2's next your though?

Yes it is still covered, a 'physics degree' will touch all areas of physics. I'd just like to do more theoretical. So choosing a physics 'with' theoretical physics means I still cover a lot of areas of physics, as if would in a normal physics degree, but I'd touch up on more theoretical than I normally would.
Would you still be completing 3A2's next your though?

Yes it is still covered, a 'physics degree' will touch all areas of physics. I'd just like to do more theoretical. So choosing a physics 'with' theoretical physics means I still cover a lot of areas of physics, as if would in a normal physics degree, but I'd touch up on more theoretical than I normally would.

Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French and Further Maths.

Ooh, I see. Sorry, bit slow today, recovering from illness! I don't think you'll have long to wait for offers now
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French and Further Maths.

Ooh, I see. Sorry, bit slow today, recovering from illness! I don't think you'll have long to wait for offers now

More than enough then. Can I ask, why so many?

Not slow, you're just unfamiliar with the differences between physics degrees! :P
More than enough then. Can I ask, why so many?

Not slow, you're just unfamiliar with the differences between physics degrees! :P

Hmmm... They'd all be extremely useful for my degree. And I enjoy them all. If I feel it necessary, I won't finish further maths, instead I might do an exam outside. Like AEA or STEP I.

Or French, because teacher wants me to take a proficiency test which would certify me as fluent enough to be able to attend French universities and that.
Hmmm... They'd all be extremely useful for my degree. And I enjoy them all. If I feel it necessary, I won't finish further maths, instead I might do an exam outside. Like AEA or STEP I.

Or French, because teacher wants me to take a proficiency test which would certify me as fluent enough to be able to attend French universities and that.

Just try not to overload yourself. That is a lot of work. With the abolishment of January exams, that's a lot of hardcore exams all in a short space of time. You also will not have the chance to re sit. Do only what is necessary...
Just try not to overload yourself. That is a lot of work. With the abolishment of January exams, that's a lot of hardcore exams all in a short space of time. You also will not have the chance to re sit. Do only what is necessary...

Oh hey. I don't think I've corresponded with you since I emailed you my results. How are you?

In that case, no extra maths exam.

Still want to do the 4 A2s though, and further maths I might consider not doing.
Also, if I'm honest. Some of the courses I'm looking at now, only want AAB or ABB, obviously some are A*AA. But if I actually get offers, the As aren't hard to meet if I smash AS. Just the A* I'd have to worry about.

I know that sounds like I'm expecting it but I'll make decisions after results this summer!
Original post by keromedic
Oh hey. I don't think I've corresponded with you since I emailed you my results. How are you?

Hey. Your name rings a bell! I'm good thank you! Have you sent off your UCAS yet?
Hey. Your name rings a bell! I'm good thank you! Have you sent off your UCAS yet?

I changed my name some time this year. I didn't apply this year.
I changed my name some time this year. I didn't apply this year.

That's strange. Did it change much?? Because I still recognise it from somewhere! Ah I see, are you taking a gap year?
Reply 5735
Original post by Lucy96
For the meet up, would anyone be able to do it early July, say the 5th or 12th? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm likely to be in Nambia doing charity work, sorry :frown:
That's strange. Did it change much?? Because I still recognise it from somewhere! Ah I see, are you taking a gap year?

We discussed my change of name around results day :tongue: and discussed where we live as I also live in Greater Manchester :tongue:.
It changed significantly :tongue:.
I am, indeed.

And nice choices you have there. Did u consider engineering?
Original post by Prinz655
i'm likely to be in Nambia doing charity work, sorry :frown:

Hmmm, it's so difficult finding a time when everyone is available :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We discussed my change of name around results day :tongue: and discussed where we live as I also live in Greater Manchester :tongue:.
It changed significantly :tongue:.
I am, indeed.

And nice choices you have there. Did u consider engineering?

Did you email me the complete breakdown of your results?? I think I remember now :wink:

No, engineering doesn't really interest me as a subject.. /:
Original post by Lucy96
For the meet up, would anyone be able to do it early July, say the 5th or 12th? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a meet up being planned?! Where?! :biggrin:

Latest