The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HairyCanary
Really really really panicky.
So I've had a few days off uni because of depersonalisation/dissociation/feelings of sui.. you get the drift. Disability services at uni, my GP and my psychiatrist all aware of this...

I get an email from my head of department saying she wants to see me because even though she knows I'm in touch with disability services... she wants to see me about my health/attendance... agoshihoigsadsghjlgdlksdjlka

panicking like ****. want to cry

Do you feel up to attending the meeting? If not then are you able to refer them to the disability service and communicate with the department through the disability service?

They know you're in touch with the disability service, but do they have any information about your health and any adjustments you need? For example, sometimes a university will produce a written report detailing the support a student needs and this report is sent to the student's department (with the student's permission). This can include being more sympathetic with attendances. If this exists, make sure the department read it before the meeting and have a copy with them (or you can take your copy). If not then it might be worth getting someone from the disability service to email the head of department first.

You can also have someone attend the meeting with you if you feel more comfortable with this. A friend/disability advisor/member of the Student Union?

PM me if you want to discuss this privately. I have some, erm, considerable experience in this area :p:

I don't wish to scare you. It might be a positive meeting, or all the head of department may want to know is how you feel you'e coping with things at the moment. I'm just aware that a potential meeting doesn't necessarily help your anxiety levels so it's best to prepare for one or, if you feel you really don't want a meeting, to discuss this with the disability service.
Reply 9241
I can't cope. I'm feeling so much pressure.
feeling quite low tonight :s-smilie:

i KNOW its not my boyfriends fault, but i miss him atm, even though im with him all the time, but were on opposite sleeping patterns so im not spending much time with him :frown:

also VERY scared about tomorrow :s-smilie: gahhh cant do this :frown:

freaking out so much atm, i really dont know what to do about everything :frown:
Spoilered for possible ED trigger. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Original post by james1211
It might be more positive than you think. She might have good news for you. Don't panic, i'm sure it'll be fine :h:

Thanks, her email just sounded a little ominous. She is also the kind of woman nobody particularly likes :/ Literally haven't met one person at uni who has something good to say about her eeeeek

Original post by Sabertooth
My wife just asked me what the phonecall I got at 10 this morning was about. I have absolutely no recollection of getting out of bed, answering the phone and going back again. It was from my psychiatrist which worries me it might be important. It's actually kind of scary that I don't remember this at all, I could have said anything to them! :colondollar:

James is right, it's probably something positive. Once disability services are involved other staff members are generally scared of stepping on toes so tread very carefully. Maybe she wants to ask how to make things easier for you or something like that?

Hopefully, however if attendance for just one module drops to 70% or below, you automatically get barred from the exams for that module… So I am crapping myself that it's about that.

Original post by River85
Do you feel up to attending the meeting? If not then are you able to refer them to the disability service and communicate with the department through the disability service?

They know you're in touch with the disability service, but do they have any information about your health and any adjustments you need? For example, sometimes a university will produce a written report detailing the support a student needs and this report is sent to the student's department (with the student's permission). This can include being more sympathetic with attendances. If this exists, make sure the department read it before the meeting and have a copy with them (or you can take your copy). If not then it might be worth getting someone from the disability service to email the head of department first.

You can also have someone attend the meeting with you if you feel more comfortable with this. A friend/disability advisor/member of the Student Union?

PM me if you want to discuss this privately. I have some, erm, considerable experience in this area :p:

I don't wish to scare you. It might be a positive meeting, or all the head of department may want to know is how you feel you'e coping with things at the moment. I'm just aware that a potential meeting doesn't necessarily help your anxiety levels so it's best to prepare for one or, if you feel you really don't want a meeting, to discuss this with the disability service.

Thanks, you haven't scared me at all, it is reassuring that someone else has been through something similar. She is supposed to have been basically told everything that's going on and to be nice to me, not freak out about attendance etc. Whether she will pay attention I don't know… Also UCL are great at miscommunication between different areas of admin :/
I will PM you either later on/tomorrow if that's ok, I am hopefully going in to uni tomorrow. No idea when this meeting will be, I have to get an appointment for next week I think.
Got GP appointment tomorrow morning about possible depression (I didn't tell them what it was about, they didn't ask :dontknow:), is there anything I should bring with me?

To be honest last couple of days have been quite filled and busy, so luckily not had much chance to get down :smile: I guess they'll know what to ask there? Quite nervous though.
Original post by purple-duck
Got GP appointment tomorrow morning about possible depression (I didn't tell them what it was about, they didn't ask :dontknow:), is there anything I should bring with me?

To be honest last couple of days have been quite filled and busy, so luckily not had much chance to get down :smile: I guess they'll know what to ask there? Quite nervous though.

Maybe write down a list of your symptoms? It can help if you forget things and if you struggle to talk, you can just hand over the bit of paper - it can be a lot easier than actually saying the words! I hope it goes well for you. :smile:
Triggering possibly

Spoiler

Becoming really badly anxious about new things recently :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe write down a list of your symptoms? It can help if you forget things and if you struggle to talk, you can just hand over the bit of paper - it can be a lot easier than actually saying the words! I hope it goes well for you. :smile:

Just done a big list of yes/no, almost - of the list on the NHS website. Thanks :smile: Been keeping a lil' diary too, so I can always read through that on the way/waiting room.

Original post by PonchoKid

Becoming really badly anxious about new things recently :frown:

:jumphug: Don't know exactly what's happening with you right now - but please don't - it's going to be okay :console:
So waking my boyfriend up and crying hysterically at him for about half an hour wasnt my best trick.
Think i need to take a trip to the drs :bawling:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Which railway is this?

East coast i think, i think the train i take goes from King Cross all the way up to York, Doncaster, that kinda way.

Sorry for such late reply, had trouble logging in, i swear i had to type the right password like 3 times, maybe im goin crazy :eek3:

So waking my boyfriend up and crying hysterically at him for about half an hour wasnt my best trick.
Think i need to take a trip to the drs :bawling:

You know that you need some help and are willing to seek it, that means a lot imo :hugs: i know how easy it can be to just stay inside and ignore everything...but that never works in the long run.

Hope you manage to sleep tonight, after feeling rough :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9251
Original post by Amador
I can't cope. I'm feeling so much pressure.

What kind of pressure? I'm always an inbox anyway. :smile:

Oh yeah, good luck tomorrow!! :h:
First appointments aren't as bad as you think. It's a step forward.
Answer everything truthfully so that they can help you if need be.

:hugs: to all.
Original post by Gemmer_
Oh yeah, good luck tomorrow!! :h:
First appointments aren't as bad as you think. It's a step forward.
Answer everything truthfully so that they can help you if need be.

Thanks :smile: Went well? I think, left feeling quite confused still, not sure if I should have said more or something :dontknow:
He was very nice about it, listened - he's told me to email the counselling thing at Uni, and start that? I think. Said we should be able to "nip it in the bud", going to send them an email in a bit. I guess I'm just confused because I wasn't at all sure what I was expecting. I was wanting to have something like counselling but then now I think about it I haven't the faintest idea what there is to talk about :s-smilie: Although things have almost seemed to trigger this (maybe again?) they don't feel like the reason for being sad/depressed now - I'm not even really thinking about it. Talking to him made me remember a couple of months back in april/may/june where I was quite similar to now, almost constantly, I think. Ended up affecting my revision, a bit, I think - though I always find it difficult to tell how much it's me procrastinating because I procrastinate anyway, and how much it's extra because I'm feeling low. Also I guess I was wanting to find out if this was just sadness or mild depression, and maybe I was expecting a "nothing to worry about" or a "yeah it sounds as if..." but I suppose if he's suggested counselling then that could mean either. I suppose it doesn't matter.

Sorry for my mass-typing! Oh and also when I got back him just saying we should be able to nip it in the bud just made me want to be sadder on purpose almost? Which is just stupid. Anyway...

Email. Yes. I hope it helps, though at the same time I don't know what there is to talk about? I mean there's one thing to maybe talk about but I don't think that that's really affecting my sadness/depression at all, at least right now.
Reply 9253
Thanks :smile: Went well? I think, left feeling quite confused still, not sure if I should have said more or something :dontknow:
He was very nice about it, listened - he's told me to email the counselling thing at Uni, and start that? I think. Said we should be able to "nip it in the bud", going to send them an email in a bit. I guess I'm just confused because I wasn't at all sure what I was expecting. I was wanting to have something like counselling but then now I think about it I haven't the faintest idea what there is to talk about :s-smilie: Although things have almost seemed to trigger this (maybe again?) they don't feel like the reason for being sad/depressed now - I'm not even really thinking about it. Talking to him made me remember a couple of months back in april/may/june where I was quite similar to now, almost constantly, I think. Ended up affecting my revision, a bit, I think - though I always find it difficult to tell how much it's me procrastinating because I procrastinate anyway, and how much it's extra because I'm feeling low. Also I guess I was wanting to find out if this was just sadness or mild depression, and maybe I was expecting a "nothing to worry about" or a "yeah it sounds as if..." but I suppose if he's suggested counselling then that could mean either. I suppose it doesn't matter.

Sorry for my mass-typing! Oh and also when I got back him just saying we should be able to nip it in the bud just made me want to be sadder on purpose almost? Which is just stupid. Anyway...

Email. Yes. I hope it helps, though at the same time I don't know what there is to talk about? I mean there's one thing to maybe talk about but I don't think that that's really affecting my sadness/depression at all, at least right now.

I think he's suggested counselling because he doesn't think it's depression. If it was depression he would have offered other solutions and techniques. I say this because I speak from experience. This could be another form of a mental health problem that you're not aware of yet. I was immediately put on medication and was in hospital so perhaps this is sadness, at an extreme, or something different that you need a little assistance with to get back to your normal self.

:hugs:

My day wasn't so great. 2 hours speaking to my physchiatrist to be put on more medication and a possible hospital admission. :cry:
Original post by Gemmer_
I think he's suggested counselling because he doesn't think it's depression. If it was depression he would have offered other solutions and techniques. I say this because I speak from experience. This could be another form of a mental health problem that you're not aware of yet. I was immediately put on medication and was in hospital so perhaps this is sadness, at an extreme, or something different that you need a little assistance with to get back to your normal self.

My day wasn't so great. 2 hours speaking to my physchiatrist to be put on more medication and a possible hospital admission. :cry:

It's a lot harder to get NHS help for depression at uni due to the fact your not living in the same place long term.

I first got diagnosed when I was in my last year at uni, and the best option was for me to go to the uni councling service as the waiting lists were nothing like NHS waiting lists, and they were used to dealing with students. I then got put on meds aswell because my drs main priority was to just get me through the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9255
It's a lot harder to get NHS help for depression at uni due to the fact your not living in the same place long term.

I first got diagnosed when I was in my last year at uni, and the best option was for me to go to the uni councling service as the waiting lists were nothing like NHS waiting lists, and they were used to dealing with students. I then got put on meds aswell because my drs main priority was to just get me through the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was my answer to someone else hun.
I've already been diagnosed. My paragraph was too a guy on here who is having a hard time coping with sadness. :nah:
Original post by Gemmer_
This was my answer to someone else hun.
I've already been diagnosed. My paragraph was too a guy on here who is having a hard time coping with sadness. :nah:

Yeah I know, but I was just saying drs often refer uni students to the uni councling team as a first port of call
A) because its cheaper for the NHS
B) because students move around between home and uni
C) they may have finished their course by the time they get a CBT option or something through from the NHS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hate when the house is empty like this. :frown: Too much space to think.
Feeling so damn lost and scared about what's happening :cry2: I just want time to stop and not move forward!

I would talk to someone but I don't want to burden them or worry people :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmer_

Yeah I know, but I was just saying drs often refer uni students to the uni councling team as a first port of call
A) because its cheaper for the NHS
B) because students move around between home and uni
C) they may have finished their course by the time they get a CBT option or something through from the NHS

Thanks guys :hugs:
Emailed them, they replied to tell me to register - so I have! Decided on one to one as opposed to email or group - don't think I'd like group/fit in - and one-to-one is presumably more useful than email (?)
11 day waiting list, which is a pain - but then I'm wouldn't be top priority anyway, I don't think - so just have to wait and hope I get a slot soonish. Although I'm still not sure how it'll help - Though I suppose most people think that to start with? Interesting that they refer to the UCS almost as default (if I understand what you've said :smile: ) Glad I'm on the waiting list/have seen him.

Thank you muchly :smile:

:console: Sorry to hear that :frown: :hugs:

Latest