The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tigers
yes I can run and live
[video="youtube;WLrrBs8JBQo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo[/video]

Oh ****ing dear. So basically you got your world view from a film made by an alcoholic anti-semite?
Reply 3721
Original post by MatureStudent36
Heres an internal SNP document on the issue.

http://b.3cdn.net/better/c1d14076ee08022eec_u9m6vd74f.pdf

Thank you.

Your thoughts on independence?
Original post by Hectic
Thank you.

Your thoughts on independence?

Read through the post. Basically I'll be voting no. We have the best of both worlds at the moment. We're part of the most successfull union the worlds ever seen. The sum of the whole is stronger than the sum of the parts. We'd be economically worse off if there was a yes vote and the SNP have lied too many times to us.
(edited 10 years ago)
Why should the Scottish people have to continue to be told what to do by a party they never vote for?
If the Conservatives win the next election, the Scottish people will still be told what to do by them.
We'd be economically worse off if there was a yes vote and the SNP have lied too many times to us.

Why do you always say the SNP are bad?
If you compare the SNP with the Conservatives, you will see that the SNP have done more good things for Scotland than the Tories.
Reply 3725
Read through the post. Basically I'll be voting no. We have the best of both worlds at the moment. We're part of the most successfull union the worlds ever seen. The sum of the whole is stronger than the sum of the parts. We'd be economically worse off if there was a yes vote and the SNP have lied too many times to us.

Agreed and the frightening prospect is that if independence is achieved, we could end up with different currency.
Original post by Maths Tutor
Can you please ask those 'proud', 'patriotic' Scots at 'Better Together' who are unable to defend the union without first declaring their Scottish pride and patriotism?

Let me know when you have the answer, but I won't be holding my breath.

Why don't you ask Tigers the same question?

I have yet to see a convincing argument for independence. Most of them seem to rely on 'we need to get away from the English'. Doesn't seem like a very sustainable strategy.
Original post by Tigers
I don't see why these lads don't deserve a country for their own and always have to be a province of London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofNXF-UMe0

Nationalism is so beautiful...

[video="youtube;29Mg6Gfh9Co"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Moosferatu
I have yet to see a convincing argument for independence. Most of them seem to rely on 'we need to get away from the English'. Doesn't seem like a very sustainable strategy.

It is not the English that Scotland needs to get away from, it is Westminster.
As for your first sentence, this indicates that you have not read at least the last 10-15 pages of this thread.
I am not asking you to read the 'entire' thread, as that will take a long time.
I think Salmond has a lot of convincing to do if he wants a yes vote to be returned next year. I want to see solid figures and an explanation of how he is going to sustain all the great benefits that Scotland offers its residents without raising taxes or suffering crippling debt.

I have so many questions. Who would pay for the removal of Trident from the Clyde (if Salmond managed to do it)? Would this negatively effect the Successor programme (quite a selfish concern, but still valid)? How much of the national debt would Scotland take with it? Would Scotland be able to continue to offer free education and prescriptions? What about currency? What effects will there be on the UK after Scotland leaves? What would happen if Scotland got into difficulty?

I had a long chat with an SNP activist a few weeks ago, and she gave me a lot of things to think about regarding things like Scottish heritage, the Scottish perspective on the removal of Trident and some more emotional issues. At the beginning of the conversation I said I wanted to know more about the cold hard facts and her response was something along the lines of 'we can't really give you that because Cameron won't come to the table before the referendum'. That's not a good enough excuse.

The only thing she said that sounded reasonable was the inability of Scottish MPs as a group to significantly influence policy in Westminster. That may be true, but the 3 or 4 MPs that serve Cumbria are just as unable to make an impact at Westminster and local issues are consistently ignored. The system may be flawed in that sense, but Scotland is not alone in being unable to influence policy. In fact, I'd argue that the existence of a Scottish parliament at least allows Scottish people to influence where money is spent. People in England do not have that luxury.

It's all well and good voting yes just to give Scotland independence, but how much are people willing to lose for that principle? Maybe Scotland would flourish, but at the moment all I've seen is people arguing for independence on the basis of a hope that Scotland will do well, and not on the basis of anything solid. Maybe that's enough for some people.

In answer to the original question, I definitely think the referendum is a good thing. People should be able to say definitively what they want to happen to Scotland. If a yes vote is returned, which I seriously doubt will happen, I truly hope that everyone involved in organising Scottish independence takes every possible care to get it right. Salmond should be patient. There will only be one chance to get it right and party politics shouldn't get in the way of that.
What do the average Scots think about independence?

Also from history Scotland was forced to accept the Act of Union and the Scots were back than mad about it.
Original post by Emmie3303
I think Salmond has a lot of convincing to do if he wants a yes vote to be returned next year. I want to see solid figures and an explanation of how he is going to sustain all the great benefits that Scotland offers its residents without raising taxes or suffering crippling debt.

I have so many questions. Who would pay for the removal of Trident from the Clyde (if Salmond managed to do it)? Would this negatively effect the Successor programme (quite a selfish concern, but still valid)? How much of the national debt would Scotland take with it? Would Scotland be able to continue to offer free education and prescriptions? What about currency? What effects will there be on the UK after Scotland leaves? What would happen if Scotland got into difficulty?

These are questions that we all want to know the answer to.
We will know the answers to these questions after the publication of the White Paper on the 26th November.
The White Paper should address your concerns from your first paragraph too.

I had a long chat with an SNP activist a few weeks ago, and she gave me a lot of things to think about regarding things like Scottish heritage, the Scottish perspective on the removal of Trident and some more emotional issues. At the beginning of the conversation I said I wanted to know more about the cold hard facts and her response was something along the lines of 'we can't really give you that because Cameron won't come to the table before the referendum'. That's not a good enough excuse.

The only thing she said that sounded reasonable was the inability of Scottish MPs as a group to significantly influence policy in Westminster. That may be true, but the 3 or 4 MPs that serve Cumbria are just as unable to make an impact at Westminster and local issues are consistently ignored. The system may be flawed in that sense, but Scotland is not alone in being unable to influence policy. In fact, I'd argue that the existence of a Scottish parliament at least allows Scottish people to influence where money is spent. People in England do not have that luxury.

This just proves my point from the last 10-15 pages of this thread: that the Wesminster Government will NEVER operate on a fair and impartial basis, and will always be corrupt.
Vote Yes next September.

It's all well and good voting yes just to give Scotland independence, but how much are people willing to lose for that principle? Maybe Scotland would flourish, but at the moment all I've seen is people arguing for independence on the basis of a hope that Scotland will do well, and not on the basis of anything solid. Maybe that's enough for some people.

I assume that you want Scotland to continue to be run by a corrupt Westminster Government, which past evidence has shown is run by one of two parties: Conservative or Labour. The Scottish people do not vote Tory, yet they still tell us what to do.

In answer to the original question, I definitely think the referendum is a good thing. People should be able to say definitively what they want to happen to Scotland.

I could not agree more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3733
Scotland has a great deal of power devolved to it's Scottish Parliament anyway - there is simply not the argument that Westminster are the wicked Englishmen who make the Scot the scapegoat since Blair's devolution movement. Scotland gets more out of the system than it puts in, and public spending in Scotland is higher per head than anywhere else in the UK. Why on Earth would anyone vote yes to leave a Union which has been together 300 years, proved its success time and time again and now is entirely fair for both states involved? Under Westminster, Scottish people enjoy free university education, a better secondary and primary education system, free prescriptions and more spending per head than anywhere else in Britain. An independent Scotland would be completely reliant upon North Sea oil prices, and when it runs out they would find themselves either having to raise taxes, borrow heavily or drop the main things which make the SNP so attractive to voters - namely a world-class education system and free healthcare. To me, I can't see the logic in going it alone when they've already got it so good as part of the UK.

In answer to the original question, I definitely think the referendum is a good thing. People should be able to say definitively what they want to happen to Scotland. If a yes vote is returned, which I seriously doubt will happen, I truly hope that everyone involved in organising Scottish independence takes every possible care to get it right. Salmond should be patient. There will only be one chance to get it right and party politics shouldn't get in the way of that.

A bloody excellent post.
Original post by Choo.choo
These are questions that we all want to know the answer to.
We will know the answers to these questions after the publication of the White Paper on the 26th November.
The White Paper should address your concerns from your first paragraph too.

I'd definitely like to read it when it comes out. I'd far rather read an impartial assessment on the pros and cons, but I don't think that's likely to surface.

This just proves my point from the last 10-15 pages of this thread: that the Wesminster Government will NEVER operate on a fair and impartial basis, and will always be corrupt.
Vote Yes next September.

All it proves is that the system needs changing to ensure fair representation. The potential is there for improvement. People just need to come up with a better solution than AV.

I assume that you want Scotland to continue to be run by a corrupt Westminster Government, which past evidence has shown is run by one of two parties: Conservative or Labour. The Scottish people do not vote Tory, yet they still tell us what to do.

I voted Labour in 2010, but I have to listen to a Tory government. In fact the majority of the UK voted for left wing politicians in the election. We are in the same boat. It is not a purely Scottish issue. Yes, Scotland consistently rejects Tory government, but you can't deny that having the Scottish parliament allows you to protect a lot of the things that you would want from a left wing government anyway.

I'm leaning strongly towards no, because I don't believe independence is in Scotland or the UK's best interests. I am, however, prepared to listen to Salmond when he finally makes his case.
(edited 10 years ago)
A bloody excellent post.

Thank you :smile:.
Reply 3737
Original post by Tigers
English audience suggests to dump nuclear waste in Scotland

Good. Handling nuclear waste is a profitable enterprise, is effectively risk-free and many parts of Scotland are geographically ideal for it.
Reply 3738
Original post by wrangled
What trash! Please don't insult my intelligence.

The English have demanded one.

Utter rubbish.

For Scotland to have devolved government took decades and dominated the political lives of many. In the 1950s, there was a petition signed in favour of it by 2 million people - not bad for a population of five million.

Thereafter it was advocated until a referendum was held in 1979. It got more than 50% of the vote in favour, but that wasn't enough. Governments (of the UK) were brought down over the issue, vigils were held, a constitutional convention was created - eventually it happened in 1999.

I'm afraid in comparison, the supporters of a devolved English assembly simply don't have a movement at all.
Reply 3739
Original post by L i b
Utter rubbish.

For Scotland to have devolved government took decades and dominated the political lives of many. In the 1950s, there was a petition signed in favour of it by 2 million people - not bad for a population of five million.

Thereafter it was advocated until a referendum was held in 1979. It got more than 50% of the vote in favour, but that wasn't enough. Governments (of the UK) were brought down over the issue, vigils were held, a constitutional convention was created - eventually it happened in 1999.

I'm afraid in comparison, the supporters of a devolved English assembly simply don't have a movement at all.

What's 'utter rubbish'?

That there has been a huge campaign that has been going on SINCE devolution to the other parts in 1997 thst has and is continued to be ignored by Westminster?

You're talking about Scotland. I'm talking about the campaign for an English Parliament and what has happened in England over the demands for fair political representation. It has been ignored time and again in Parliament, not just by pressure groups but by ministers who have dared to bring it up.

England is as much a historic nation as Scotland is and deserves nothing less than a Parliament of it's own, to manage English affairs for and on behalf of the people of England.

Peoples attitude towards this stinks. Scottish Parliament yes, Northern Ireland Assembly, yes, Welsh Assembly yes... English Parliament? Ohhhh no, can't have that!! That would be equality and we don't do that in the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending