The Student Room Group

Is an MBA worth it?

I have recently completed a degree in Grapgic Design yet have been struggling to find a job therefore want to broaden my options so have applied to do an MBA at Brunel Business School in London.

I think mastering in business will give me many more opportunities in the working world and I will gain alot of great experience that is non-design related which could help me in other areas of business.

Has anyone else done the same? And did you find this worked?

Also is anyone else going to Brunel? I know it was voted as one of the best business schools in the UK and heard some great reviews but don't know anyone else who is going.

Their Facebook link is:

https://www.facebook.com/BrunelBusinessSchool/app_1376822195885789
Original post by lottieabbottie
I have recently completed a degree in Grapgic Design yet have been struggling to find a job therefore want to broaden my options so have applied to do an MBA at Brunel Business School in London.

I think mastering in business will give me many more opportunities in the working world and I will gain alot of great experience that is non-design related which could help me in other areas of business.

Also is anyone else going to Brunel? I know it was voted as one of the best business schools in the UK and heard some great reviews but don't know anyone else who is going.

Their Facebook link is:

The spin.

Doing an MBA you'll be able to treble you're salary and be chased after by recruitment firms.......maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

In reality an MBA may help in getting a job, but realistically at most you're looking at a 1.5 times increase in salary and having to build upon an existing career.

I've just finished mine and I've been left a little deflated. Apparently employers don't care what you're MBA grades are. It's all about the knowledge gleaned and the experience gained from working in an MBA environment. The only experience I gained was how to re write, and do from scratch group work that the International Students couldn't or wouldn't do, and impart my life experience on little more than children. Basically, you'll be used as a training aid to develop international students who shouldn't be there due to lack of experience and gain very little 'experience' in return. The experienced members of MBA courses that you want to work with as you know you'd gain a lot from working with them tend to be so few and far between that they make sure that they never get a chance to work together as they're needed to bolster up pond life they've taken on in order to increase revenues.

Job wise, my MBA course laid on a distinguished leader speaker series with some rather successful business people. What I found quite telling was none of them had an MBA. The big consultancy firms aren't queuing up to recruit MBA students anymore as they're ten a penny neither are any larger organisations. Those MBA students they take on tend to be from specific business schools (Warwick and LSE. Forget Russel group universities in this one. I did mine at one and Warwick and LSE are the only ones that the big boys seem to care about.......possibly because they tend to have more Brits on the course than International students) and tend to be talent that they've sent there to develop. Everybody I know who's landed a job has had to use existing contacts from their previous careers as the careers service tend over promise and under deliver.

One of the lads on the course came out of the army and wanted a career in Finance. He can't get one because he has no experience, and they won't take him on finance jobs requiring less experience won't touch him because they know he'll leave as he has an MBA. I'm out of the Army but I'm now having to build on my engineering experience I had prior to joining up and are mainly going for jobs that don't require MBAs.

MBA take up this year in the UK is generally down. I thought it was related to Visa issues as a lot of especially Indians study in the UK to get jobs here. That's not the case though. Up take is down as people are starting to realise that there's isn't as much benefit from an MBA as there used to be in getting good jobs.

Knowledge gained- Quite a bit, but I paid £20K for a course and I could've read the 6 core text books and saved myself £19, 900.
Experience from learning amongst the leaders of tomorrow. None. The course was full of Indian kids who were doing the course to get a job in the UK. Taiwanese and Japanese kids who had been told to do the course before they inherited the family business. Chinese kids who are their to improve their language skills or who are there because their boyfriends are in the UK and they need to study something to get a visa to come with them.

If you are going to do an MBA I'd recommend you do the part time Executive MBA. You'll be surrounded by British students who are Adults and the environment will be more conducive to learning. You wont be writing some Chinese students section of the group report at 4 in the morning of the day that it's due in because they decided to f**k off on a sightseeing tour of York for a week without telling anybody.

Overall, useful, but they've been dumbed down and don't have the kudos that they used to and are no guarantee of a job let alone significant salary increases.

You'll probably find that you'll end up taking a job in design as I haven't met anybody on my cohort, or the previous cohort that managed to do a career change.You may want to check out Brunels ranking.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-ranking-2013
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lottieabbottie

Their Facebook link is:

Most MBAs aren't worth the paper it is printed on.

Most people who NEED the MBA would almost certainly have had the company they work for pay for it on their behalf or a good part of it subsidized, the previous UK based O&G company I worked for before moving to Norway would pay half if you are chosen to pursue it and contractual bond of 3 years. There were only 5 institutions they sent you to.

If the MBA program would take on a fresh graduate or someone who never had any working experience then the only thing to do is to keep away from that program with a 10ft long bargepole. Most good MBA programs won't accept anyone unless the said person has at least 3-5 years of managerial experience with some looking for middle to senior management experience as a basic requirement. If you don't have that and get accepted into the program then it is a guaranteed sure thing that the program you pouring money into is junk.

It is generally unlikely a Masters type qualification would improve your chances of securing a job.
Original post by Alfissti
Most MBAs aren't worth the paper it is printed on.

Most people who NEED the MBA would almost certainly have had the company they work for pay for it on their behalf or a good part of it subsidized, the previous UK based O&G company I worked for before moving to Norway would pay half if you are chosen to pursue it and contractual bond of 3 years. There were only 5 institutions they sent you to.

If the MBA program would take on a fresh graduate or someone who never had any working experience then the only thing to do is to keep away from that program with a 10ft long bargepole. Most good MBA programs won't accept anyone unless the said person has at least 3-5 years of managerial experience with some looking for middle to senior management experience as a basic requirement. If you don't have that and get accepted into the program then it is a guaranteed sure thing that the program you pouring money into is junk.

It is generally unlikely a Masters type qualification would improve your chances of securing a job.

A sad fact that I found out after the event. MBAs have been devalued by British universities taking on inexperienced international students just to make money.
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
A sad fact that I found out after the event. MBAs have been devalued by British universities taking on inexperienced international students just to make money.

Is that a universal thing for all British universities or just the lesser ones?

If you are going to do an MBA I'd recommend you do the part time Executive MBA. You'll be surrounded by British students who are Adults and the environment will be more conducive to learning. You wont be writing some Chinese students section of the group report at 4 in the morning of the day that it's due in because they decided to f**k off on a sightseeing tour of York for a week without telling anybody.

Many of the part-time Exec MBAs require you to be holding a full time job to pursue it. I did join in the Cambridge Executive MBA program 3 years back but had to drop out as my work and family commitments simply didn't allow it. Believe it or not the average age of participants of that program was 37 and most of the Brits on the program were Cambridge's own staff and a handful of others, the rest were execs from Asia and EU, some were based in London and a lot of those from EU racked up loads of air miles due to needing to fly into Cambridge once a month to pursue this program. The ones who took the piss? The higher up the ladder they are the more they took the piss and most who took the piss and did **** all were those who talked the most plus the ones who paid their own way.

I'm now in an executive Masters program though it is a program the company I work for contracted a university to conduct for it's executives and managers, it is open to people who don't work for the company but they have to pay for it on their own, a good thing about it is it is conducted in Norwegian and English so it hasn't any undesirable Chinese or Indian or 3rd rate EU country nationals on the program who do nothing as the language requirement does filter them out quite well. Alas you do get some lazy ****s on the program who do nothing but only want to be the one who presents.
Is that a universal thing for all British universities or just the lesser ones?

Many of the part-time Exec MBAs require you to be holding a full time job to pursue it. I did join in the Cambridge Executive MBA program 3 years back but had to drop out as my work and family commitments simply didn't allow it. Believe it or not the average age of participants of that program was 37 and most of the Brits on the program were Cambridge's own staff and a handful of others, the rest were execs from Asia and EU, some were based in London and a lot of those from EU racked up loads of air miles due to needing to fly into Cambridge once a month to pursue this program. The ones who took the piss? The higher up the ladder they are the more they took the piss and most who took the piss and did **** all were those who talked the most plus the ones who paid their own way.

I'm now in an executive Masters program though it is a program the company I work for contracted a university to conduct for it's executives and managers, it is open to people who don't work for the company but they have to pay for it on their own, a good thing about it is it is conducted in Norwegian and English so it hasn't any undesirable Chinese or Indian or 3rd rate EU country nationals on the program who do nothing as the language requirement does filter them out quite well. Alas you do get some lazy ****s on the program who do nothing but only want to be the one who presents.

This seems to be turning into an anti international rant. But the international students were by far my biggest problem. It says something though when you get Indian students complaining about international students as well. They came to study with Brits. The problem is that its the Chinese that have the money to send people on these courses, but in many cases they're too young and inexperienced. I **** you not, we had somebody celebrate their 24th birthday. I'd invested too much of my own money into the programme and got surrounded by kids. They did no work. They were reasonably successful as they tended to base their work on their mates assignments from the previous years and inane cases bought them in(I've got a mate who writes assignments for a cost and he wrote a few, but wouldn't say who for.)

i just felt that although I learnt stuff, had they said read these books I'd be in a better situation financially than I am now. The whole MBA experience was frustrated by wet nursing immature students which negatively impacted on my own marks. They gained, I didn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks everyone for their input! All very useful advice but since posting I've actually spoken to quite a few people who have also done the Brunel Business School MBA programme and all found it beneficial and either come out with a job due to contacts they have made or since found it alot easy to get work so think I'm definitely going to go for it.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Is that a universal thing for all British universities or just the lesser ones

I did mine at a Russell group university so far from the lesser ones. The guys who have got jobs have either returned to their old jobs or started new ones similar to the ones they left. When I start asking friends who did them a few years go at different ones if its made a difference, its helped their understanding of business a little as you'd expect, but their career progression hasn't improved. They're either doing the same job as before or have been promoted one up through natural time served progression.

You get on in business if you're a good worker. Not because of an MBA. I'd recommend saving your money and doing either CIMA qualifications or get a lean six sigma black belt. Those seem to be the qualifications that increase earning potential.

i think you'll find a lot of people who have done an MBA saying how great its been for them. But it's like somebody who's been caught out in a Nigerian 419 scam. They're reluctant to reveal their lost investment through embarrassment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I did mine at a Russell group university so far from the lesser ones. The guys who have got jobs have either returned to their old jobs or started new ones similar to the ones they left. When I start asking friends who did them a few years go at different ones if its made a difference, its helped their understanding of business a little as you'd expect, but their career progression hasn't improved. They're either doing the same job as before or have been promoted one up through natural time served progression.

You get on in business if you're a good worker. Not because of an MBA. I'd recommend saving your money and doing either CIMA qualifications or get a lean six sigma black belt. Those seem to be the qualifications that increase earning potential.

i think you'll find a lot of people who have done an MBA saying how great its been for them. But it's like somebody who's been caught out in a Nigerian 419 scam. They're reluctant to reveal their lost investment through embarrassment.

I thought it was common sense and knowledge that you get jobs by experience and your networking skills? Admittedly only on TSR there is a weird believe that if you put tonnes of money into a Masters qualification you would be at the front of the queue to nail that job, am guessing these must be myths that are put out by marketing reps of dodgy universities offering equally dodgy Masters programs. This is my 14th year of working and running my own business, I don't even put it on my CV that I graduated from Oxford with a MEng, in fact I generally don't link my name to the companies I've worked for previously or the institutions I graduated from. I get calls from headhunters one per week on average, used to be a lot more when I was Singapore based but now less so since I'm based in Norway.

Yes Six Sigma Black Belt is indeed very useful and it sure isn't easy to get. However from experience it is also more for knowledge purposes as you certainly won't net a job just by having one.

I'm quite surprised to hear a RG university would be willing to take on people without any management experience on the MBA program. I suppose funding concerns must be behind this?
i just felt that although I learnt stuff, had they said read these books I'd be in a better situation financially than I am now. The whole MBA experience was frustrated by wet nursing immature students which negatively impacted on my own marks. They gained, I didn't.

Ho ho ho.

Immature students? MatureStudent? No? Alright then...
Original post by Moosferatu
Ho ho ho.

Immature students? MatureStudent? No? Alright then...

I paid a lot of money to do a course that advertised the requirement for significant work experience required. We had a somebody celebrate their 24th birthday.
I paid a lot of money to do a course that advertised the requirement for significant work experience required. We had a somebody celebrate their 24th birthday.

So you said. That's the PRC from what I hear, money is as money does.
Reply 12
This seems to be turning into an anti international rant. But the international students were by far my biggest problem. It says something though when you get Indian students complaining about international students as well. They came to study with Brits. The problem is that its the Chinese that have the money to send people on these courses, but in many cases they're too young and inexperienced. I **** you not, we had somebody celebrate their 24th birthday. I'd invested too much of my own money into the programme and got surrounded by kids. They did no work. They were reasonably successful as they tended to base their work on their mates assignments from the previous years and inane cases bought them in(I've got a mate who writes assignments for a cost and he wrote a few, but wouldn't say who for.)

Hi
Insightful post. Which books did you read ?
Original post by 161BMW
Hi
Insightful post. Which books did you read ?

I doubt many people would remember what books they read 5+ years ago.

Lots of MBA reading lists are online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending