The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Doratch
Oh, thanks for pointing that out! So my new question is: What if an applicant is going to take something equivalent to A-level, but has never taken any qualifications equivalent to GCSE? This is my case right now and I want to know if there is any hope left :confused:

I imagine the Uni will look at the qualifications that you do have, and look at them in context, together with school references and other evidence.

Hopefully
Original post by gavinlowe
will post back and confirm the exact situation for Oxford :smile:
Original post by IceKidd
Is this MAT score of 50 for the interview cut off typical for computing and maths or just computing?

For the last two years, we've used the same borderline for all the six Computer Science or Maths degrees, so yes in those years. I can't predict what will happen this year.

Original post by journeyinwards
Oh, thank you. I'm sorry for repeating the question, I didn't even realise :tongue:

No problem; I think we posted our messages simultaneously.

So, the shortlisting or PSI does NOT take into consideration predicted grades for Grade XII/Senior year/A levels/ equivalent?

The PSI doesn't take these into account; but these are certainly things that will be considered when short-listing borderline candidates.

Original post by Doratch
Oh, thanks for pointing that out! So my new question is: What if an applicant is going to take something equivalent to A-level, but has never taken any qualifications equivalent to GCSE? This is my case right now and I want to know if there is any hope left :confused:

As Davros said, we look at the qualifications you have (if any), and do the best we can.
(edited 10 years ago)
The PSI doesn't take these into account; but these are certainly things that will be considered when short-listing borderline candidates.

So the A-level/AP/Grade XII grades are used only to make conditions for an offer?

In that case, where exactly do the predicted grades come into the picture? If a (hypothetical) student has good GCSEs (or equivalent), does well on the MAT but his predicted scores aren't all that great, does he still get an offer?

Slightly off topic, but are exceptional students (Perfect MAT score + crazy good interview/ Intl Math Olympiad medallists/ students having published research) given unconditional offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
So the A-level/AP/Grade XII grades are used only to make conditions for an offer?

In that case, where exactly do the predicted grades come into the picture? If a (hypothetical) student has good GCSEs (or equivalent), does well on the MAT but his predicted scores aren't all that great, does he still get an offer?

Predictions are one of many things that we take into account when we make decisions, both for short-listing and making offers. However, they tend to have a rather small effect, because nearly all of our candidates who do well on the MAT also have excellent predictions.

Slightly off topic, but are exceptional students (Perfect MAT score + crazy good interview/ Intl Math Olympiad medallists/ students having published research) given unconditional offers?

No. Your hypothetical student should not have much trouble making the offer. But we want to make sure that (s)he works hard to get good grades, in preparation for university study.
No. Your hypothetical student should not have much trouble making the offer. But we want to make sure that (s)he works hard to get good grades, in preparation for university study.

And, what about those exceptional students that I've described above?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I'm really curious about this whole procedure :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 465
And, what about those exceptional students that I've described above?

Sorry for the number of questions, but I'm really curious about this whole procedure :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll be given an unconditional if they've already done A-Levels. However, all of those exceptional students you mention could achieve the standard offer for maths in their sleep.
Original post by Noble.
They'll be given an unconditional if they've already done A-Levels. However, all of those exceptional students you mention could achieve the standard offer for maths in their sleep.

Not if the Maths offer for internationals includes scoring highly in other subjects, right?

That reminds me: are the offers made only on Mathematics or do they include Physics and Chem as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 467
Not if the Maths offer for internationals includes scoring highly in other subjects, right?

That reminds me: are the offers made only on Mathematics or do they include Physics and Chem as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths and FM you need the A*A* in as far as I know. They don't specify a third subject.
Original post by Noble.
Maths and FM you need the A*A* in as far as I know. They don't specify a third subject.

What about the offer for internationals who don't take A Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already attained the US qualifications. As for Indians, they have to do well in EVERY subject :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have already attained the US qualifications. As for Indians, they have to do well in EVERY subject :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've already attained the relevant US qualifications for your course, doesn't that make whatever grades you get for your Indian qualification irrelevant?
I'm Dutch, so I need to get good grades in a whole slew of subjects that have little to do with my course (Maths) as well. It's annoying, but I kind of understand why they ask for it. This year would be a cakewalk if all I needed to get was an 8 or a 9 for my two Maths subjects and (for example) Physics, with nothing dependent on how well I do in my other five subjects, and I imagine studying at Oxford would be quite a change from that. I think they want to make sure people are challenged in their last year.
Reply 473
Original post by dutchmaths
If you've already attained the relevant US qualifications for your course, doesn't that make whatever grades you get for your Indian qualification irrelevant?
I'm Dutch, so I need to get good grades in a whole slew of subjects that have little to do with my course (Maths) as well. It's annoying, but I kind of understand why they ask for it. This year would be a cakewalk if all I needed to get was an 8 or a 9 for my two Maths subjects and (for example) Physics, with nothing dependent on how well I do in my other five subjects, and I imagine studying at Oxford would be quite a change from that. I think they want to make sure people are challenged in their last year.

Oh yes, your life will be much easier doing undergrad maths than it currently is :lol: (joke)

It's a common thought that people have "I am good at this kind of incredibly narrow mathematics, so university will just be more of the same and I won't be tested on a slew of subjects" - unfortunately it's a massive misconception. Maths at university is incredibly varied, I feel myself being tested in a much more varied way than I was at A-Level (and I did five of them) and at GCSE. Unfortunately, if you get into Oxford (or any maths undergrad course at a top university) what you are currently experiencing is a cakewalk in comparison :lol:
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me a hint as on what to do to tackle Q1 B on the 2011 MAT paper? Link http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/Oxford%20Admissions%20Test%202011.pdf

I've formulas for both the area and perimeter, but not exactly sure of the required manipulation. Thanks!
Reply 475
Original post by TheFuture001
Hi I was wondering if someone could give me a hint as on what to do to tackle Q1 B on the 2011 MAT paper? Link http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/Oxford%20Admissions%20Test%202011.pdf

I've formulas for both the area and perimeter, but not exactly sure of the required manipulation. Thanks!

you need to manipulate it into a form that implies an inequality in order for the rectangle to exist, ie the area and perimeter must be real .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
Oh yes, your life will be much easier doing undergrad maths than it currently is :lol: (joke)

I think you misinterpreted my post; I was arguing that making sure candidates were challenged in their last year of secondary education was a good idea, because they're obviously going to be challenged at Oxford if they get in.

Original post by Noble.

It's a common thought that people have "I am good at this kind of incredibly narrow mathematics, so university will just be more of the same and I won't be tested on a slew of subjects" - unfortunately it's a massive misconception. Maths at university is incredibly varied, I feel myself being tested in a much more varied way than I was at A-Level (and I did five of them) and at GCSE.

Again, you misinterpreted me; What I said was that I would probably find only doing Maths/other Science subjects in my last year easy, whereas Oxford's demand for high grades in all subjects challenges me to work hard. As for the variety of Maths as a subject, while I obviously can't speak with certainty on this, I definitely realize that Secondary School mathematics is a small slice out of everything mathematics has to offer (although the Dutch curriculum does stretch a bit beyond algebra and geometry) and the books I've read on, for example, Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem(s) or group theory, have only made me more excited about Maths as a subject.

Original post by Noble.

Unfortunately, if you get into Oxford (or any maths undergrad course at a top university) what you are currently experiencing is a cakewalk in comparison :lol:

I'm sure it is.
Original post by TheFuture001

Why don't you just plug the expressions you have for A and P into the four inequalities and see which one of them can be reduced to something that's obviously true? Keep in mind that, as another commenter said, both A and P must be real and positive.
Reply 478
Original post by dutchmaths
I think you misinterpreted my post; I was arguing that making sure candidates were challenged in their last year of secondary education was a good idea, because they're obviously going to be challenged at Oxford if they get in.

Again, you misinterpreted me; What I said was that I would probably find only doing Maths/other Science subjects in my last year easy, whereas Oxford's demand for high grades in all subjects challenges me to work hard. As for the variety of Maths as a subject, while I obviously can't speak with certainty on this, I definitely realize that Secondary School mathematics is a small slice out of everything mathematics has to offer (although the Dutch curriculum does stretch a bit beyond algebra and geometry) and the books I've read on, for example, Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem(s) or group theory, have only made me more excited about Maths as a subject.

I'm sure it is.

Sorry about that. I read it as you thinking life would get easier if you got into Oxford :lol:
Original post by megiddo_
you need to manipulate it into a form that implies an inequality in order for the rectangle to exist, ie the area and perimeter must be real .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thanks, I got it! I had ended with a quadratic earlier on, but I discarded it as meaningless since I thought the P's and A's were just x's and y's in the end. I didn't expect to do that.

@dutchmaths, I'm not sure I really like your method aha. For example, to my eyes the first option after subbing in looks like it could probably be true, just by thinking of how large the number could get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending