The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hey do you know if this is also the case at Lancaster..since I'm pretty sure the courses at both med schools are identical? :redface:

Original post by mutlibd1
Daaam. I mentioned it in my ps that I can adapt to problem based exercises at uni loool not my fault :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I wouldn't worry too much. If you read the report it says the aspects of PBL approach and cased based learning will still be retained

I don't think all elements of pbl are going . Just going to be more structured and less open . It seems a rigid "spec" is going to be in place rather than relying completely on pbl sessions which haven't been effective .

Am I right lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm I think you are quite right i.e. not all the elements of pbl are going I think it is just going to be significantly less with probably a few more lectures etc
I don't think all elements of pbl are going . Just going to be more structured and less open . It seems a rigid "spec" is going to be in place rather than relying completely on pbl sessions which haven't been effective .

Am I right lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

PBL is done, I think they made that clear in the review. They've mentioned case based learning will take place which is similar to PBL in that you do work on a patient case (So PBL aspects maintained in some form?), but i think the learning in cbl will be highly directed. But the clear principle is that they want the students to gain a better scientific knowledge which would mean a shift towards a more lecture based programme.

I don't think it will effect you mentioning PBL nothing you could do about it :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Richyp22
PBL is done, I think they made that clear in the review. They've mentioned case based learning will take place which is similar to PBL in that you do work on a patient case (So PBL aspects maintained in some form?), but i think the learning in cbl will be highly directed. But the clear principle is that they want the students to gain a better scientific knowledge which would mean a shift towards a more lecture based programme.

I don't think it will effect you mentioning PBL nothing you could do about it :smile:

Yeh I'm actiallybhappybfor Liverpool to change their curriculum . Although the work might be slightly harder . At least your never feel really lost as many have felt before . It's a good change

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh I'm actiallybhappybfor Liverpool to change their curriculum . Although the work might be slightly harder . At least your never feel really lost as many have felt before . It's a good change

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm delighted too, I was actually concerned about hearing from people saying often during their pbl sessions they don't know how much they need to learn. But I really loved the city and uni so applied.
Reply 124
Very happy about the change. If it's going to be more 'case based learning' then that's a plus for me because that's the way Cardiff's new course is structured I believe, and I liked the sound of it at their open day. Wanted to apply to Manchester but didn't risk it with 670 UKCAT so chose Liverpool despite the fairly low satisfaction stats on UniStats. Hopefully the new course will change those!
I'm delighted too, I was actually concerned about hearing from people saying often during their pbl sessions they don't know how much they need to learn. But I really loved the city and uni so applied.

Samee :biggrin:
Reply 126

I wouldn't go that far.

Hi there can you link the review please . I very much doubt pbl will vanish . It's more likely going to be. Buffed up since a review showed some weakness in their teachings . Liverpool was the first to use pbl and so has strong history of pbl . Completely replacing it will usually take years and won't really happen over a. Year .

Posted from TSR Mobile

The GMC review to which you refer does not highlight weaknesses with the PBL process in general. It highlighted failings and deficiencies in the way PBL was implemented. Liverpool was also not the first university to use PBL. McMaster has that title, fortunately. You may be interested in knowing that most universities in Canada and USA now use PBL and have done so effectively.

Am I right lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are essentially right. There is now going to actually be a curriculum. The only way I can relate to what was going on previously is the UK Constitution. Whilst it exists, it is unwritten. That is exactly how the current course is run. Whilst people were studying medicine, they were doing it without any structure.

I would hesitate to say that a rigid spec is going to be used. I remain slightly sceptical until changes are actually implemented.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 127

PBL=CBL for the most part in 2nd/3rd/4th years at the moment. The issue is that CBL is very effective and forms a heavy part of clinical learning. That is why students actually preferred to learn via PBL when in hospital. On the other hand, PBL is useless in 1st year and as explained in the review, remained a variable experience from student to student. Many factors previously affected this: non-medical staff sitting in on PBL; attitudes of staff to PBL; lack of structure and direction within basic sciences.

Original post by hjward
Very happy about the change. If it's going to be more 'case based learning' then that's a plus for me because that's the way Cardiff's new course is structured I believe, and I liked the sound of it at their open day. Wanted to apply to Manchester but didn't risk it with 670 UKCAT so chose Liverpool despite the fairly low satisfaction stats on UniStats. Hopefully the new course will change those!

Ignore satisfaction statistics generally. They are a useless indicator of anything.

The new dean of medical school has received widespread praise since coming in. Personally, I regard him very highly and believe the changes he has made take a huge step in the positive direction (pity really, too late for myself). I remain sceptical about aspects of the new course such as anatomy pro-section teaching and biochemistry but in the current state, things can only improve really.
Reply 128
Original post by Zyklos
PBL=CBL for the most part in 2nd/3rd/4th years at the moment. The issue is that CBL is very effective and forms a heavy part of clinical learning. That is why students actually preferred to learn via PBL when in hospital. On the other hand, PBL is useless in 1st year and as explained in the review, remained a variable experience from student to student. Many factors previously affected this: non-medical staff sitting in on PBL; attitudes of staff to PBL; lack of structure and direction within basic sciences.

Ignore satisfaction statistics generally. They are a useless indicator of anything.

The new dean of medical school has received widespread praise since coming in. Personally, I regard him very highly and believe the changes he has made take a huge step in the positive direction (pity really, too late for myself). I remain sceptical about aspects of the new course such as anatomy pro-section teaching and biochemistry but in the current state, things can only improve really.

I completely agree with all the points you made .. Liverpool are clearly moving in te right direction and I hope that one day I'm there studying there !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by hjward
Hi, I have applied to Liverpool and was wondering when the majority of interviews take place?
Are more early on or are they evenly spread (Nov-Mar?)
Also, when will we usually be informed whether or not we have an interview? And are they all announced at the same time?
Thanks! (got AAAA at AS and 7A*3A at GCSE if anyone was wondering)

Hey, I'm a medic here at Liverpool

I believe my interview was sometime in November, but I know others who were not interviewed until February time so it just depends.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 130
Original post by S.medic27
Hey, I'm a medic here at Liverpool

I believe my interview was sometime in November, but I know others who were not interviewed until February time so it just depends.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks!

Original post by Zyklos

OK understood, but even so I've spoken to FY1s from Liverpool who said they felt less prepared than those from other Unis, and also a consultant I worked with said they tended to have slightly less overall knowledge at first than those from other med schools.
at my liverpool interview last year, i asked my interviewers if liverpool will stay with pbl for the foreseeable future and they said yes, and if they were gonna change, they'd do it slowly. LOL
Reply 132
Original post by kenwyne-jones
at my liverpool interview last year, i asked my interviewers if liverpool will stay with pbl for the foreseeable future and they said yes, and if they were gonna change, they'd do it slowly. LOL

what was the interview like? and when do they inform you?
Original post by Angelica.
what was the interview like? and when do they inform you?

The interview was quite relaxed, there was no table in between us which i preferred, and the interviewers were sort of playing good cop bad cop. my interview was on the 12th november last year and found out on the 30th september:smile:
Reply 134
The interview was quite relaxed, there was no table in between us which i preferred, and the interviewers were sort of playing good cop bad cop. my interview was on the 12th november last year and found out on the 30th september:smile:

you submitted the application in september?!!
did they mainly ask personal statement questions, and leave it open for you to tell them more?
Reply 135
Original post by hjward
OK understood, but even so I've spoken to FY1s from Liverpool who said they felt less prepared than those from other Unis, and also a consultant I worked with said they tended to have slightly less overall knowledge at first than those from other med schools.

In fact you will find quite the reverse. FY1s from Liverpool are much maligned for their poor basic science yet hospitals love Liverpool graduates because they have top quality communication and clinical skills which have been practised since year 1 of the course. As junior doctors, it is these aspects hospitals and other doctors on the ward look for; not whether you can identify the node of Lund during a cholecystectomy.
you submitted the application in september?!!
did they mainly ask personal statement questions, and leave it open for you to tell them more?

sorry, i meant 30th october, yeah its mainly based on your PS, i don't really wanna say much more than that since ive applied again this year:redface:
Reply 137
sorry, i meant 30th october, yeah its mainly based on your PS, i don't really wanna say much more than that since ive applied again this year:redface:

Hi, are you a Gap-Year/Deferred applicant? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138

That's in 4 days... omg...
and no worries, good luck this year!!
(Literally don't know how they're gonna go from 3000 applicants to 1000)
Reply 139
That's in 4 days... omg...
and no worries, good luck this year!!
(Literally don't know how they're gonna go from 3000 applicants to 1000)

There's quite a few people who will be automatically rejected because of not meeting academics because they have no other choice and hope to get in with gcse points of like 15 . Also little trip ups like not having b in 4th as level can make some rejected . After that your right there's. A battle lol I lost last year just hopping I get in This year .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending