The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy96
Aw okay! :hugs: Which subjects are you doing? Did you drop anything? :smile:

History, English Lit, Bio and RS. I dropped Bio at the start, but then I took it on again because the EPQ didn't work out. What about you?

Original post by Pandora.
I feel the same with A2 to be honest. If you want to chat about it, I'm here. :redface: :smile:

:hugs: I appreciate that, thanks! Did you get your English paper remarked?
Original post by justanotherindigo
History, English Lit, Bio and RS. I dropped Bio at the start, but then I took it on again because the EPQ didn't work out. What about you?

Sounds good, nice choices :biggrin: I'm doing 3 the same as you, history, biology and english lit! (And the EPQ :frown:) I dropped chemistry :tongue:
Reply 5942
justanotherindigo
:hugs: I appreciate that, thanks! Did you get your English paper remarked?
I did - it was no use. :frown: Up a few small marks, but I don't know how many. Hopefully I'll resit, but since I don't know what went wrong I'm not hopeful for an improvement. How about you? :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Sounds good, nice choices :biggrin: I'm doing 3 the same as you, history, biology and english lit! (And the EPQ :frown:) I dropped chemistry :tongue:

Thanks! How are you finding them? And what is your EPQ based on? :smile:

I did - it was no use. :frown: Up a few small marks, but I don't know how many. Hopefully I'll resit, but since I don't know what went wrong I'm not hopeful for an improvement. How about you? :smile:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! My situation with English is basically a nuclear disaster story.

I requested for a remark, then they said that I had to pay (when it's always been free). I found that pretty ridiculous. So all that happened during the summer break, and when I went to my English lesson back, my new teacher said that we are going to start a new spec (AQA B) because the one I did was 'too hard'. :s-smilie: I'm basically doing two years in one... :redface: It isn't a walk in the park, but the fact that they are only giving my two lessons a week is beyond stupid. I'm practically on the verge of giving up.
Guys, especially maths people.

I've decided if I want a shot at Cambridge they won't mind resits as long as there is a big improvement.

Spoiler

So I'm going to resit C3 and M1, bring them close to 100. Then C2 will just look anomalous.

Now I'm also going to sit FP1, S2 and M2. Should I also sit M3? Or FP2? I'd be more inclined to Mechanics because then I'd be in a mechanics mind frame when doing exams for maths and also I'll have knowledge for Physics A2.

What do you guys think?
Reply 5945
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I've decided if I want a shot at Cambridge they won't mind resits as long as there is a big improvement.

Spoiler

So I'm going to resit C3 and M1, bring them close to 100. Then C2 will just look anomalous.

Now I'm also going to sit FP1, S2 and M2. Should I also sit M3? Or FP2? I'd be more inclined to Mechanics because then I'd be in a mechanics mind frame when doing exams for maths and also I'll have knowledge for Physics A2.

What do you guys think?

i would resit c3 only. get 100s in those 3 youre doing this year. 100 in fp1 will show improvement form that low c2 score and 100 in m2 obviously improvement from m1.

because you were in year 12, those low 80s will be no issue whatsoever if you show that you have done alot better (ie 100s) in the modules of the same strand, but that are harder.

Sit fp1,m2,s2 and either c3 or fp2. if you think you can get high 90s in fp2 that would easily outshine your poor c3 mark. but if you dont think youre ready for that then just resit the c3 and get an A*
Reply 5946
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! My situation with English is basically a nuclear disaster story.

I requested for a remark, then they said that I had to pay (when it's always been free). I found that pretty ridiculous. So all that happened during the summer break, and when I went to my English lesson back, my new teacher said that we are going to start a new spec (AQA B) because the one I did was 'too hard'. :s-smilie: I'm basically doing two years in one... :redface: It isn't a walk in the park, but the fact that they are only giving my two lessons a week is beyond stupid. I'm practically on the verge of giving up.
:frown: Wow, they haven't made it easy for you, have they? They seem to be trying to make life as difficult for you as possible!

First of all, the remark thing is definitely ridiculous and unfair. You're probably one of the best students in your school/college, they should be doing the best they can for you! :eek: Eeek, AQA B is the one I'm on. Shouldn't be too bad if you get taught the proper technique though haha. Looks like we're both doing the AS and A2 exams then :console: But with two lessons a week.... that's pretty terrible.

On the plus side, which books are you studying? :smile:
Reply 5947

Spoiler

What do you guys think?

Is M1 your A2 module or is it S1. Because if you can get C3 up to 90 you will have A* in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5948
It's quite a long story, I'll PM you shortly :smile:

Glad to hear it! :biggrin: I'm self studying History, for the second time... but it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW how are you finding A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

What do you guys think?

I obviously can't speak for maths :rolleyes:, but remember you'll have to declare all units on the SAQ anyway, even the ones you've retaken, this from their guide to completing it:

'Please note that UMS scores should be listed for each sitting of the unit
and regardless of whether or not you have certificated or retaken the unit'
Thanks! How are you finding them? And what is your EPQ based on? :smile:

I can totally understand your situation with the remark. In January they sent remarks back for free, but when I asked to get a remark on my history paper (which was a C) they refused! I had to pay £60 and it didn't even go up, but the people who got A*s at GCSE all got free-remarks :frown:.
Two years in one of English and only two lessons a week!?!?!? that's ridiculous! I really hope you can sort this out, in the meantime I'll give you a virtual hug :hugs:

As for how I'm finding A2, it's a mixed bag really, Maths and Further Maths I'm on track for 2A*s judging by my test scores but for Economics I'm really struggling, getting some Bs, some Cs and then 1E, Subjective subjects are always much harder :s-smilie:
Original post by Qari
Is M1 your A2 module or is it S1. Because if you can get C3 up to 90 you will have A* in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter what applied module you do for A2 maths, it doesn't count significantly towards the A* :no:
Original post by IceKidd
i would resit c3 only. get 100s in those 3 youre doing this year. 100 in fp1 will show improvement form that low c2 score and 100 in m2 obviously improvement from m1.

because you were in year 12, those low 80s will be no issue whatsoever if you show that you have done alot better (ie 100s) in the modules of the same strand, but that are harder.

Sit fp1,m2,s2 and either c3 or fp2. if you think you can get high 90s in fp2 that would easily outshine your poor c3 mark. but if you dont think youre ready for that then just resit the c3 and get an A*

Hmmm... But my UMS average still needs to be raised. Past content it's exam technique that gets the 100, not knowledge at times. Hence I'd rather resit M1 as well.

I need to resit C3 anyway for the A* in maths, and then S2 FP1 and M2 regardless. So do I want M1 and M3? Or just FP2? I've already covered quite a bit and I'm going to spend Christmas doing everything I need

Thanks

Original post by Qari

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's irrelevant :tongue:
Original post by smile:D
I obviously can't speak for maths :rolleyes:, but remember you'll have to declare all units on the SAQ anyway, even the ones you've retaken, this from their guide to completing it:

'Please note that UMS scores should be listed for each sitting of the unit
and regardless of whether or not you have certificated or retaken the unit'

Yes, I know, hence I want to show an improvement :biggrin:
Reply 5953
Original post by usycool1
It doesn't matter what applied module you do for A2 maths, it doesn't count significantly towards the A* :no:

Oh right, didn't know. Well then he sould just resit C3 if he is looking to improve grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
:frown: Wow, they haven't made it easy for you, have they? They seem to be trying to make life as difficult for you as possible!

First of all, the remark thing is definitely ridiculous and unfair. You're probably one of the best students in your school/college, they should be doing the best they can for you! :eek: Eeek, AQA B is the one I'm on. Shouldn't be too bad if you get taught the proper technique though haha. Looks like we're both doing the AS and A2 exams then :console: But with two lessons a week.... that's pretty terrible.

On the plus side, which books are you studying? :smile:

Absolutely not! :no:

Truth is that it it's a tad bit easier than the one I did, but I'm practically self teaching. During the half term, my teacher wanted to me to write nine essays on the basis that she sent the PowerPoint. She didn't. And because I had no teaching, the one I ended up doing was an absolute struggle :L

Right, AS I'm doing The Great Gatsby, The Kite Runner, poetry by Rossetti and Frost for the exam. The coursework is Much Ado About Nothing and The History Boys. A2 I'm doing elements of the gothic, so Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein and Dr Faustus for the exam. The coursework I'm doing a comparison between Top Girls and Pride and Prejudice. I have no idea about the second piece.

Original post by Qari
BTW how are you finding A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mixed bag really. RS and Bio are going well. The absolute opposite for English and History (isn't as bad, but still hard).

Original post by Robbie242
I can totally understand your situation with the remark. In January they sent remarks back for free, but when I asked to get a remark on my history paper (which was a C) they refused! I had to pay £60 and it didn't even go up, but the people who got A*s at GCSE all got free-remarks :frown:.
Two years in one of English and only two lessons a week!?!?!? that's ridiculous! I really hope you can sort this out, in the meantime I'll give you a virtual hug :hugs:

As for how I'm finding A2, it's a mixed bag really, Maths and Further Maths I'm on track for 2A*s judging by my test scores but for Economics I'm really struggling, getting some Bs, some Cs and then 1E, Subjective subjects are always much harder :s-smilie:

That's pretty unfair! How could they possibly do that?! I refused because I pay for my exams.

I know. I tried by bringing my dad in, but as usual they told a pack of lies, and things have actually gone worse. And I STILL don't have a history teacher when I've requested for one ageeees ago.

I'm sure you'll improve for Econ as it's still early days :smile: I'm guessing that you've already applied to uni?
Reply 5955
have my first summative lab on Tuesday, luckily the deadline for that report is on the 21st which is also the same day as a summative chemistry test :rolleyes:

Starting 4 weeks of stats this week though :redface:
Redid that M1 exam I got 85 in in January.

I've forgotten how to do moments (which I did get the answers right in the exam) but other than that I got all the marks.

So I'm really confused as to how I dropped marks in the exam.

Definitely redoing the exam now :mad:

I've forgotten how to do moments (which I did get the answers right in the exam) but other than that I got all the marks.

Possibly a tad pointless, but whatever. If I were you, I'd only redo C3 :tongue:
I agree with the above. Resist and smash C3, and then focus on getting top UMS in other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5959

Everyone is saying the same resit C3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest