The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9360
I said this in another thread (sorry :redface:), but I really envy those who have a strong faith in a religion, a God, something and/or someone. A few people that I know have gone through so much, but they still keep their faith strong in the belief that one day, their faith will reward them. I really do admire that and I believe that if it makes them happy, then I can't see anything wrong with it :smile:
Original post by IDukem
I said this in another thread (sorry :redface:), but I really envy those who have a strong faith in a religion, a God, something and/or someone. A few people that I know have gone through so much, but they still keep their faith strong in the belief that one day, their faith will reward them. I really do admire that and I believe that if it makes them happy, then I can't see anything wrong with it :smile:

Really encouraging to see this post. It's not easy to be so ill and to be a person of faith, especially if those around you don't understand or ridicule you. Doctors also tend not to take faith seriously either :nope: Repped you and hope you are doing OK :h:
Reply 9362
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Really encouraging to see this post. It's not easy to be so ill and to be a person of faith, especially if those around you don't understand or ridicule you. Doctors also tend not to take faith seriously either :nope: Repped you and hope you are doing OK :h:

I don't understand why people would ridicule people based on their faith. Whether people are Christian, a Muslim, a Sikh etc. or an atheist, does it really matter what/whom they believe in as long as it's making them happy? (not aimed at you :h:). I'm really proud of my friend for sticking with something (I believe Christianity in general) she believed in after everything that she has been through. She never really mentioned this when we were close n'all or in general until maybe about 3 months ago or so. Through all the pain that she's gone through, she found something to make her happier and that's her love and belief in Jesus Christ and God. She has her slip ups like everyone else, but it's so good that it appears she's got something to comfort her.

It's a shame that the doctors don't take your faith seriously, but ultimately it's your faith that makes you the lovely and adorable person than you are today and so as hard as it seems, try and brush it off :h: You got something to comfort you at times where you may feel the need to have something to comfort you and that's something the nay-sayers will never understand...but that's their problem and not yours :smile: N'aww you didn't have too :hugs: I'll rep you back after this and it's not necessarily because you repped me but more for...well nothing really, you don't always need a reason to be nice to someone :h:

Me? I'm doing fine I guess. I've been thinking about my life a lot and people in general recently to be honest and it's actually for the good reasons. I feel within myself that I could be a little more kinder and just try and get out of my comfort zone a little more...we'll see :smile: Sorry for the long ass post by the way :colondollar:
Original post by IDukem
I don't understand why people would ridicule people based on their faith. Whether people are Christian, a Muslim, a Sikh etc. or an atheist, does it really matter what/whom they believe in as long as it's making them happy? (not aimed at you :h:). I'm really proud of my friend for sticking with something (I believe Christianity in general) she believed in after everything that she has been through. She never really mentioned this when we were close n'all or in general until maybe about 3 months ago or so. Through all the pain that she's gone through, she found something to make her happier and that's her love and belief in Jesus Christ and God. She has her slip ups like everyone else, but it's so good that it appears she's got something to comfort her.

It's a shame that the doctors don't take your faith seriously, but ultimately it's your faith that makes you the lovely and adorable person than you are today and so as hard as it seems, try and brush it off :h: You got something to comfort you at times where you may feel the need to have something to comfort you and that's something the nay-sayers will never understand...but that's their problem and not yours :smile: N'aww you didn't have too :hugs: I'll rep you back after this and it's not necessarily because you repped me but more for...well nothing really, you don't always need a reason to be nice to someone :h:

Me? I'm doing fine I guess. I've been thinking about my life a lot and people in general recently to be honest and it's actually for the good reasons. I feel within myself that I could be a little more kinder and just try and get out of my comfort zone a little more...we'll see :smile: Sorry for the long ass post by the way :colondollar:

No need to apologise about your post - write away! :biggrin: Getting out of one's comfort zone is scary stuff but good on you for trying. I always stay firmly put in mine :colondollar:

Ah I didn't mean to slag off all doctors - I was lucky that my psychiatrist respected my faith and would let me talk about how it interacts with my health, even if he didn't believe himself or believe what I was saying was true :yes:
Reply 9364
No need to apologise about your post - write away! :biggrin: Getting out of one's comfort zone is scary stuff but good on you for trying. I always stay firmly put in mine :colondollar:

Ah I didn't mean to slag off all doctors - I was lucky that my psychiatrist respected my faith and would let me talk about how it interacts with my health, even if he didn't believe himself or believe what I was saying was true :yes:

I get carried away on posting sometimes :colondollar: I try and it doesn't really end well, but I do feel proud of myself a little for at least attempting to :smile: I just struggle to feel strong enough at times :redface: One day you may see yourself edging a little out of your comfort zone :smile:

Oh I knew what you meant haha, I didn't take it as a generalisation honestly :h: At least he understood how much it means to you! I think your faith in...God...I assume, either way I think that your faith is something that means a lot to you and something I believe will reward you one day in the future :yep: It's something you deserve ya know, something amazing that'll make you happy...it's something we all deserve in this thread :h:
Original post by IDukem
I get carried away on posting sometimes :colondollar: I try and it doesn't really end well, but I do feel proud of myself a little for at least attempting to :smile: I just struggle to feel strong enough at times :redface: One day you may see yourself edging a little out of your comfort zone :smile:

We can't always feel strong, especially when ill. The fact that you're even contemplating moving out of your comfort zone is admirable, to me at least :yep:

Oh I knew what you meant haha, I didn't take it as a generalisation honestly :h: At least he understood how much it means to you! I think your faith in...God...I assume, either way I think that your faith is something that means a lot to you and something I believe will reward you one day in the future :yep: It's something you deserve ya know, something amazing that'll make you happy...it's something we all deserve in this thread :h:

Yes we all certainly deserve to feel very happy indeed, and that happiness can be found in many places, both sacred and secular!

Spoiler

Reply 9366
We can't always feel strong, especially when ill. The fact that you're even contemplating moving out of your comfort zone is admirable, to me at least :yep:

Yes we all certainly deserve to feel very happy indeed, and that happiness can be found in many places, both sacred and secular!

Spoiler

I know, but I feel like i'm getting stronger...kinda. Sometimes I don't do it for myself either! I did so many things last year that I didn't want too do because I didn't want to let anybody down. I practically sacrificed my mental instability (can;t think of another word/phrase to describe it) in order to keep people happy. I regret some of it, but I also feel happy knowing at I can actually be selfless at times :tongue:

I agree with that. One day i'll reach the happiness that will make each day exciting and new rather than bleak and dull, one day :moon:

Spoiler

Original post by IDukem
I know, but I feel like i'm getting stronger...kinda. Sometimes I don't do it for myself either! I did so many things last year that I didn't want too do because I didn't want to let anybody down. I practically sacrificed my mental instability (can;t think of another word/phrase to describe it) in order to keep people happy. I regret some of it, but I also feel happy knowing at I can actually be selfless at times :tongue:

You must try and be careful with that! I know that being selfless is a great feeling and is something to strive towards but you wanna be careful to look after yourself. You shouldn't have to risk your wellbeing in order to please people :nah: I learnt that the very hard way :sadnod:

I agree with that. One day i'll reach the happiness that will make each day exciting and new rather than bleak and dull, one day :moon:

And on that day, we will all celebrate with you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 9368
You must try and be careful with that! I know that being selfless is a great feeling and is something to strive towards but you wanna be careful to look after yourself. You shouldn't have to risk your wellbeing in order to please people :nah: I learnt that the very hard way :sadnod:

And on that day, we will all celebrate with you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Spoiler

Yeah and i've said no a couple of times since then, but you know how it is when you feel pressured to do something. I finally had the courage to speak to a higher up about it and they were understanding and have said they'd guide me through if necessary :smile: I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:

Be my guest!! :biggrin: If i'm still posting by then then you guys would bet he first to know. Without you and the rest of the threads help, I wouldn't have made the progress that i've seen already :h: One day people and myself will be uber proud of me..hopefully :h:

Spoiler

Original post by IDukem
Yeah and i've said no a couple of times since then, but you know how it is when you feel pressured to do something. I finally had the courage to speak to a higher up about it and they were understanding and have said they'd guide me through if necessary :smile: I'm sorry to hear that :hugs:

Very glad to hear you spoke to someone higher up about it :yep:

Be my guest!! :biggrin: If i'm still posting by then then you guys would bet he first to know. Without you and the rest of the threads help, I wouldn't have made the progress that i've seen already :h: One day people and myself will be uber proud of me..hopefully :h:

We'll def be proud of you :yep:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by tasha96
Today is better than yesterday. :smile:
I passed my first aid course and had something to eat. :woo:
Todays current score: Tasha-2:Voices-0 :tongue:

:dance::banana2::banana:

go tasha, go tasha, go tasha
:biggrin:

so proud of you :biggrin:
Reply 9371
Good work, young sir! :hat2: I didn't take my meds today :ninja: :getmecoat: :ninja:

Thanks, I still need to eat this evening and take the meds for this evening, and get my work done. I hope you've taken the meds now :yep:
Original post by Antifazian
Does anyone have any tips on how to phrase things when you first go to the Dr to ask for help?

I want to try a combination of meds and some kind of therapy for my depression and anxiety but can I just straight out ask for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a really useful website linked to in the OP of this thread - it helps you think through what you want to say, make a checklist of symptoms etc.

It's perfectly fine to have definite aims in mind, just remember that therapy is likely to be a long wait.

Good luck! :smile:

Original post by tasha96
Today is better than yesterday. :smile:
I passed my first aid course and had something to eat. :woo:
Todays current score: Tasha-2:Voices-0 :tongue:

Go Tasha! :jive:
Original post by superwolf
Go Tasha! :jive:

i was looking for that one, but couldnt find it :sad:

Spoiler

Original post by PonchoKid
i was looking for that one, but couldnt find it :sad:

Spoiler

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Can't you change the date?
Ok this storm is getting annoying now :s-smilie: wish the wind would shut up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having one of those nights where I just cant shut my brain up. Lecture at 9am too... :s-smilie:

The past few weeks since uni have not been brilliant. I've been feeling ill, tired, unmotivated and just generally down about myself. I'm making far to much of a habbit of missing meals and lectures just cos I can't bring myself to get out of my bed/ room. A lot of the time i've been hiding away in my room until my flat are either out or in bed. Obviously this isn't a good thing to be doing but I just can't bring myself to step out there and expose myself to the world. I should be going out and meeting people and joining societies but I just want to hide away in my room and avoid everyone and everything.

I haven't done any work really. I've done one chapter of reading so far and two small assignments. I have an essay due in on thursday which I have done absolutely nothing for. I have applied for DSA which will be giving me help with reading and stuff but that won't happen until after christmas. :s-smilie:

My OCD was rather quiet to start with but now it's starting to come out more.

I'm just feeling useless and pessimistic at the moment. I have no motivation to do anything and i'm so sure i'm going to end up failing and being a total loner and being miserable and having to drop out. I don't know if I can do this. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have MS.I'm so tired of being in pain.
Original post by tasha96
I'm on that. :smile: Made me feel really queasy for a couple of weeks but that wore off. :yep: Don't feel it's done anything for me so far but I'm still on quite a low dosage while they sort out my other medication (they dont want to change both at the same time). Hope it works for you! :hugs:

Been a while since I've posted on here :ashamed2:

Just give everyone a quick update,
I went back to the doctors to tell them to get me off prozac otherwise something bad will happen, he insisted that I stayed on them and I insisted back that I will do something if I carry on on these tablets, so he's switched them for citrolopram? (I think that's how it's spelt), been about 4 weeks and it hasn't stopped the voices and the shadow people I'm seeing, it's also not helping with my moods and stuff, I'm still the same as I was before I went on them.
I saw the SAP team (Single Point of Access) and my clinician has referred me for a psych assessment which was 3 or 4 weeks from seeing him, I have to say, without triggering, I was really bad. Put it that way. I was desperate for help really, and because I was I went back to see my doctor to see if he could push my appointment through, a few days afterwards I got a letter from the unit saying they're pushing BACK my appointment because of 'Unforeseeable circumstances', my mum who now knows everything was furious because she works in the system, she phoned up and asked if could be pushed forward and they refused.:unimpressed:

Sigh, so college has set me up with this therapy/counselling thing with an organization because they're really concerned about my welfare, it's tomorrow and I'm a bit reluctant to go- I've had things like this before and non of it has helped.

Anyway, how is everyone doing? It's been a while :frown:
Reply 9379
Original post by laurenatlantic
Been a while since I've posted on here :ashamed2:

Just give everyone a quick update,
I went back to the doctors to tell them to get me off prozac otherwise something bad will happen, he insisted that I stayed on them and I insisted back that I will do something if I carry on on these tablets, so he's switched them for citrolopram? (I think that's how it's spelt), been about 4 weeks and it hasn't stopped the voices and the shadow people I'm seeing, it's also not helping with my moods and stuff, I'm still the same as I was before I went on them.
I saw the SAP team (Single Point of Access) and my clinician has referred me for a psych assessment which was 3 or 4 weeks from seeing him, I have to say, without triggering, I was really bad. Put it that way. I was desperate for help really, and because I was I went back to see my doctor to see if he could push my appointment through, a few days afterwards I got a letter from the unit saying they're pushing BACK my appointment because of 'Unforeseeable circumstances', my mum who now knows everything was furious because she works in the system, she phoned up and asked if could be pushed forward and they refused.:unimpressed:

Sigh, so college has set me up with this therapy/counselling thing with an organization because they're really concerned about my welfare, it's tomorrow and I'm a bit reluctant to go- I've had things like this before and non of it has helped.

Anyway, how is everyone doing? It's been a while :frown:

Lauren!!! It's been a while! :h: :hugs:

I'm sorry to hear about that, but the therapy/counselling could help ya out. Obviously you'll be hesitant if it hasn't worked out that well in the past, but things could be different this time around :smile:

I'm doing fine for now thank you! I'll crack on with some work related shenanigans soon :smile:

It's good to see you again :grin: :jive:

Latest