The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Timi797
I have! What day do you think you'll go? I think you might as well take the test, you've got nothing to lose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh cool, I'm hopefully going on the Saturday :smile: yeh I guess so, are you going to sit it?
Original post by heather_2
new to this thread so...

Hi I'm Heather
I have applied for physics at Lancaster, Southampton, Exeter, Loughbourgh and Oxford.
At the moment studying Further Maths, Physics and Business studies with an A-level in maths last year.
Got an interview at Lancaster and Exeter and been invited on a visit day to Southampton. Anyone else going to these?

Now the hard part, waiting for replies and interviews! :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone!! :biggrin:

I've been invited to a visit day at Southampton too! that's the only one we've both applied for though. Are you going to sit the scholarship exam for Southampton? I don't know whether too.
Reply 602
HEY THERE! :smile:

My name is Sindy
I've applied for Imperial, UCL, Bath, Manchester & Cambridge
I studied Maths, Chemistry and Physics & got A*A*A respectively (lowest in physics, how ironic :frown: )
Around 11? :shrug: xD
Reply 603
Original post by LucyW456
hey you're the same person who replied to me on the Birmingham thread :biggrin:
Yeh I think I will sit it, although i'm genuinely really worried I literally wont get any marks and then they won't take me at all :L
ooh yeh that's good, I guess that means that they discard people who don't have the right predicted grades straight away.
me too, hopefully- if there's enough spaces left.

Oh yeah haha!

Yeah I'm sort of scared about doing really crap, but then again I'm not sure they'll think "this person got a really low score so we won't choose them", because they don't know how well those who haven't sat the test would have done. So basically they can't compare you to people who didn't sit the test.

If they're looking for 5 people to get 70%, then even getting half marks is decent, so that's not a bad way to look at it.
(edited 10 years ago)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2282280&page=25

Perhaps a mod would like to merge this thread with the one above, giving us one big super awesome physics applicants thread? :smile:
Reply 605
Original post by King Hotpie

Perhaps a mod would like to merge this thread with the one above, giving us one big super awesome physics applicants thread? :smile:

I PMed Potally_Tissed who's a section leader
Original post by King Hotpie

I was just wondering why we appeared to have two threads all of a sudden. I don't know how it took me this long to notice, given that I'm watching both of them....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 607
Original post by Jack_141
I've got an interview at Exeter too! What day is yours on?

I'm going on the 9th, u? :yes:
Reply 608
Original post by LucyW456
I've been invited to a visit day at Southampton too! that's the only one we've both applied for though. Are you going to sit the scholarship exam for Southampton? I don't know whether too.

Great to meet someone else going. Yeah I'm going to try the scholarship test, worth a try anyway. What day are u going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 609
Original post by flaptoad

I'm going on Saturday 16th by the way.

I'm also going to the Southampton visit day on the 16th. Great to meet someone else going! Where else have you applied? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm Annie, Year 13 and have applied to Oxford, Manchester, Lancaster, Birmingham and Exeter :smile: predicted 3A*s and yes I'm a girl! If you're looking for a good physics book I would definitely suggest Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' - its a classic and its so brilliantly written - especially good if you're interested in astrophysics and quantum :smile:
Reply 611
Original post by furryface12
I was just wondering why we appeared to have two threads all of a sudden. I don't know how it took me this long to notice, given that I'm watching both of them....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I noticed a while ago, but didn't do anything about it.

I posted in AAM a while ago so it should get fixed soon :smile:
Reply 612
Original post by anniedavies
I'm Annie, Year 13 and have applied to Oxford, Manchester, Lancaster, Birmingham and Exeter :smile: predicted 3A*s and yes I'm a girl! If you're looking for a good physics book I would definitely suggest Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' - its a classic and its so brilliantly written - especially good if you're interested in astrophysics and quantum :smile:

Good luck! Have you heard anything from your unis yet?

"A Brief History of Time" is a great book. Have you read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene? If not I'd definitely suggest it as it's really good also. :smile:
Original post by adi19956
I noticed a while ago, but didn't do anything about it.

I posted in AAM a while ago so it should get fixed soon :smile:

Good, makes sense particularly as there seem to be different people on each thread!
Reply 614
I'm also going to the Southampton visit day on the 16th. Great to meet someone else going! Where else have you applied? :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford, Birmingham, Bath and Lancaster. Just one offer from any of these would make me so happy!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by flaptoad
Just one offer from any of these would make me so happy!

That is exactly how I feel except I applied to Bristol, Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester. And good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Good luck! Have you heard anything from your unis yet?

"A Brief History of Time" is a great book. Have you read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene? If not I'd definitely suggest it as it's really good also. :smile:

Yeah, I've got an interview at Lancaster :smile: What anout you? And no - I'll give it a go! I'm reading 'The Quantum Universe: Everything that can Happen will Happen' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw atm but I'm finding it a lot more of a slog! Its interesting but I do have to keep rereading paragraphs so its taking me a while!
new to this thread so...

Hi I'm Heather
I have applied for physics at Lancaster, Southampton, Exeter, Loughbourgh and Oxford.
At the moment studying Further Maths, Physics and Business studies with an A-level in maths last year.
Got an interview at Lancaster and Exeter and been invited on a visit day to Southampton. Anyone else going to these?

Now the hard part, waiting for replies and interviews! :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone!! :biggrin:

I have applied to Lancaster, Exeter and Oxford too! I have an interview at Lancaster so far - do you know how many people who get interviews there get an offer?
Reply 618
Original post by anniedavies
Yeah, I've got an interview at Lancaster :smile: What anout you? And no - I'll give it a go! I'm reading 'The Quantum Universe: Everything that can Happen will Happen' by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw atm but I'm finding it a lot more of a slog! Its interesting but I do have to keep rereading paragraphs so its taking me a while!

Well done! I've got an unconditional offer from Warwick and an interview at Manchester :smile: (or at least I think so, I just logged into track and it's showing my unsuccessfuls and declined offers from last year!)

I've read that and it's defiinitely more difficult to read.
Original post by alow
Well done! I've got an unconditional offer from Warwick and an interview at Manchester :smile: (or at least I think so, I just logged into track and it's showing my unsuccessfuls and declined offers from last year!)

I've read that and it's defiinitely more difficult to read.

Wow you're so lucky! Are you a deferred entry then? And yeah it is - all the bits about clocks confused me a bit, I think I'd rather they just talk about waves!

Quick Reply