The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's to do with the components inside the device heating up and then expanding whilst on and then cooling down and contracting whilst off.
Reply 2
What on earth possessed you to make a thread about this??
Guess the above poster is right. Just things "settling" back into place
Original post by beckaroo7
What on earth possessed you to make a thread about this??
Guess the above poster is right. Just things "settling" back into place

I'm a curious person.

And google had no answers. In fact, no other person on the entire internet has asked the question, or if they have atleast worded the question very differently, because I found nothing.

But the noise doesn't seem to come from the components. It's more like the plastic itself. It pops.
Reply 4
It gets hot and expands, and when it cools off it goes back to normal size and makes a noise.
Reply 5
I crapped my pants last night when a plastic bag decided to collapse.
Reply 6
Original post by bigwhalegambler
I'm a curious person.

And google had no answers. In fact, no other person on the entire internet has asked the question, or if they have atleast worded the question very differently, because I found nothing.

But the noise doesn't seem to come from the components. It's more like the plastic itself. It pops.

Haha fair enough then :biggrin:
I know whst you mean, andI've often found myself wondering strange things too :tongue:
Original post by beckaroo7
Haha fair enough then :biggrin:
I know whst you mean, andI've often found myself wondering strange things too :tongue:

What else do you wonder?
Reply 8
Did you ever see toy story?
:yep:
Reply 9
What else do you wonder?

Put me on the spot a bit :P Maybe when I do I'll also make a thread :wink:
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Did you ever see toy story?
:yep:

I'm pretty sure my printer doesn't come to life, when no-ones looking.
Reply 11
I'm pretty sure my printer doesn't come to life, when no-ones looking.

Well... how would you know? :wink:
Reply 12
OMG I have so many uestions like this and I love asking google them, but google just doesn't have an answer sometimes. I don't know. But it's certainly very creepy. It's so loud, too. Haha.
I can't think of any right now but I'd love to hear other ppl's weird questions too!
Original post by xox_em
OMG I have so many uestions like this and I love asking google them, but google just doesn't have an answer sometimes. I don't know. But it's certainly very creepy. It's so loud, too. Haha.
I can't think of any right now but I'd love to hear other ppl's weird questions too!

I've always wondered how dogs became domesticated, and why nowadays they just accept their domestication, instead of fighting for their independence so to speak

I also wonder if each person see's the world in the same way, or if we all see colors differently.

Like what I think is blue, you think is green, but you call it blue, because you think the color green is the color blue.

So like some people look up at the sky and see it red, but because they call red blue, they find it completely normal.

idk if I explained that well:s-smilie:

Also, do animals dream? What about?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
I've wondered about the colours too but it can't yet be found out and colour can't be described in any language (yet?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Omg that's a good question!! I don't think there is any way to prove perception only that it is different. After all, there is no absolute perception of red is there? There's only the absolute wavelength and the perceived color it produces.
Now that makes me wonder again-how do our voices and looks REALLY sound and look? It's imposible to unbias ourselves from our perceptions!
Also I wonder when people design things, how do they keep everybody in mind? For a simple example I'm on the short side and I think a lot of things are designed "too high" for me to reach. Probably tall people think a lot fo things are designed too low or too small for them. I also think lecture/bus seats are soo small and I wonder how someone a lot bigger than I am would even fit in them. Like, if I became were to pretend I were huge by strapping pillows all over my body, how would I fit through those turnstiles?? I would be so upset.
I question basically the design of every everyday thing-why is this chair like this??
By the wya, why do busses not have seatbelts?
How good is human reaction time? How come it's deemed good enough to drive at 100 mph but we can't even catch something if it's falling?
Also, a slightly more loaded question-why do people's clothes change your perception of them? Like, a person dressed as a hobo rather than a movie star.
Original post by xox_em
Omg that's a good question!! I don't think there is any way to prove perception only that it is different. After all, there is no absolute perception of red is there? There's only the absolute wavelength and the perceived color it produces.
Now that makes me wonder again-how do our voices and looks REALLY sound and look? It's imposible to unbias ourselves from our perceptions!
Also I wonder when people design things, how do they keep everybody in mind? For a simple example I'm on the short side and I think a lot of things are designed "too high" for me to reach. Probably tall people think a lot fo things are designed too low or too small for them. I also think lecture/bus seats are soo small and I wonder how someone a lot bigger than I am would even fit in them. Like, if I became were to pretend I were huge by strapping pillows all over my body, how would I fit through those turnstiles?? I would be so upset.
I question basically the design of every everyday thing-why is this chair like this??
By the wya, why do busses not have seatbelts?
How good is human reaction time? How come it's deemed good enough to drive at 100 mph but we can't even catch something if it's falling?
Also, a slightly more loaded question-why do people's clothes change your perception of them? Like, a person dressed as a hobo rather than a movie star.

With the design of things like lecture seats, bus seats, and just a chair, there is clearly an economic reasoning behind the design of the chair. The bus could have 70 small seats or 50 large seats, and price elasticity demand will work out the optimum number of seats and leg space, for the fare charged.

Same with the design of just a normal chair- at what point does the added cost of raw materials not justify their inclusion at the RRP, and if the price has to be increased to accommodate profit margins, will people buy it at a higher price; again somewhat price elasticity demand.

Re: buses not having seatbelts- again economic reasoning. If the busses had belts, and it was mandatory to wear them, what if someone refused to put his on, and this delayed the bus 5 mins because the driver refused to go or he had to be removed from the bus- this would cause disruption and affect profit margins.

And how would it be regulated, how would you know if someone was wearing a belt or not.

And if there are belts, each belt would have to be checked and pass its MOT test, again another regulatory annoyance that could eat into profit margins.

Further, if seatbelts were included, where would the line be drawn- would airbags then also be expected?

Also Buses weigh like over 15 tonnes, so pretty much like a truck if it hits something it's gunna go straight through it.

Re: human reaction times- I can catch something falling :dontknow: I have the reflexes of a cat after many years of playing hot potato- perhaps you should play some more hot potato?

And clothes are just to do with social prejudices, which people form in their mind themselves.

I like to think about stuff:rolleyes:
Reply 17
If a movie is dubbed in English but there is a part in it where the character speak Spanish. In the Spanish dub of the movie in the scene where they speak Spanish do they still speak Spanish ? :confused:
Reply 18
With the design of things like lecture seats, bus seats, and just a chair, there is clearly an economic reasoning behind the design of the chair. The bus could have 70 small seats or 50 large seats, and price elasticity demand will work out the optimum number of seats and leg space, for the fare charged.

Same with the design of just a normal chair- at what point does the added cost of raw materials not justify their inclusion at the RRP, and if the price has to be increased to accommodate profit margins, will people buy it at a higher price; again somewhat price elasticity demand.

Re: buses not having seatbelts- again economic reasoning. If the busses had belts, and it was mandatory to wear them, what if someone refused to put his on, and this delayed the bus 5 mins because the driver refused to go or he had to be removed from the bus- this would cause disruption and affect profit margins.

And how would it be regulated, how would you know if someone was wearing a belt or not.

And if there are belts, each belt would have to be checked and pass its MOT test, again another regulatory annoyance that could eat into profit margins.

Further, if seatbelts were included, where would the line be drawn- would airbags then also be expected?

Also Buses weigh like over 15 tonnes, so pretty much like a truck if it hits something it's gunna go straight through it.

Re: human reaction times- I can catch something falling :dontknow: I have the reflexes of a cat after many years of playing hot potato- perhaps you should play some more hot potato?

And clothes are just to do with social prejudices, which people form in their mind themselves.

I like to think about stuff:rolleyes:

Haha wow.
I hardly ever factor economy into my questions. But that's a huge part of reasoning it seems. Maybe I would have less questions if I studied economics. :wink: I need to think of more questions for you.
But, anyways, it can't be purely economic. Someone has to decide the average size of people right? How is that decided? lol

ANd lord fifa good question....HAHA. I don't think they are dubbed. I mean what language would they be dubbed in?are they??haha
Original post by xox_em
Haha wow.
I hardly ever factor economy into my questions. But that's a huge part of reasoning it seems. Maybe I would have less questions if I studied economics. :wink: I need to think of more questions for you.
But, anyways, it can't be purely economic. Someone has to decide the average size of people right? How is that decided? lol

ANd lord fifa good question....HAHA. I don't think they are dubbed. I mean what language would they be dubbed in?are they??haha

Money makes the World go round:rolleyes:

And I'm not an economics student, I'm a law student, so in theory I should have decent analysis and reasoning skills:cool:

And there is no 'average' size of things- go to Amarni, Lacoste, Primark, Topshop, Hugo Boss, and pick up a medium T shirt- they will all be different sizes. Likewise, on a train, the standards seats on a Virgin Train are different size to the standard seats on a London Midland Train, as are the first-class seats.

I dont quite understand Lord Fifa's question

Latest

Trending

Trending