The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
I graduated in the summer so I'm currently on a year out, and I'm going stir crazy as it is. The thought of having to take another one if I don't get in this year is unbearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 861
Original post by amul1992
I graduated in the summer so I'm currently on a year out, and I'm going stir crazy as it is. The thought of having to take another one if I don't get in this year is unbearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly my position. The job I have now is a part time 16 retail job. And saying have a plan B is all well and good, but getting full time work isnt easy now. My life has been on hold for this year as it is. I cant afford to do much with my friends and I havent had a holiday in god knows how long either.
The pressure to get on this year is huge, and im going to be heartbroken if I need to go through this again.
Reply 862
Tell me about it. I was working 50hrs a week in a restaurant over the summer and have recently cut back to 30 which is still a lot but feels like nothing! After having constant intellectual and social stimulation for three years at uni I've really struggled moving back home, so I don't even want to think about not getting on a course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stressed isn't even the word right now :frown:
Original post by philippa x
Stressed isn't even the word right now :frown:

Same. 3rd year plus PGCE apps equals stress meltdown
Reply 865
Original post by alabelle

Same dissertation, essays, personal statement, skills tests! I knew it was all coming but I did not prepare myself for it at all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Same dissertation, essays, personal statement, skills tests! I knew it was all coming but I did not prepare myself for it at all haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here.
Reply 867
Some unis like MMU recommend you to take the skills test before you apply.. But I thought we couldn't do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Some unis like MMU recommend you to take the skills test before you apply.. But I thought we couldn't do this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to send applications off before you sit the skills test but passing the skills test before interviews is seen as putting you in a strong position.
Reply 869
Original post by ChelseyElla
You need to send applications off before you sit the skills test but passing the skills test before interviews is seen as putting you in a strong position.

Right, thank you. That's probs what they meant in the email they sent me then. It's a bit unfair though isn't it.. Like to be looked at more favourably just cos you've passed the tests prior to the interview. But I guess it's easier for them to decide whether to give someone an offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Right, thank you. That's probs what they meant in the email they sent me then. It's a bit unfair though isn't it.. Like to be looked at more favourably just cos you've passed the tests prior to the interview. But I guess it's easier for them to decide whether to give someone an offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to know. Btw, MMU is Manchester Metropolitan University, right?
Reply 872
Just been reading through the PGCE prospectus of one of the unis I want to apply to, which has only just been updated for this year, and been hit with this :

"While working as a teacher assistant or cover supervisor is useful, we still expect 2 full days’ observation from those who have had such employment, to be done in a different school, focused on the one subject, to show breadth of vision and openness to learning."

Now I'm in a complete panic! How am I meant to do this when I work full time in a school, which is not going to allow me the time off to do it?!
Original post by magic_box
Just been reading through the PGCE prospectus of one of the unis I want to apply to, which has only just been updated for this year, and been hit with this :

"While working as a teacher assistant or cover supervisor is useful, we still expect 2 full days’ observation from those who have had such employment, to be done in a different school, focused on the one subject, to show breadth of vision and openness to learning."

Now I'm in a complete panic! How am I meant to do this when I work full time in a school, which is not going to allow me the time off to do it?!

I don't "work" as a TA. I volunteer as language assistant. And I always have observations before and after working with the pupils.
Reply 874
Original post by Juichiro
I don't "work" as a TA. I volunteer as language assistant. And I always have observations before and after working with the pupils.

I'm confused, did you mean to quote me?

I'm worrying as I hadn't planned on needing additional observation time in another school. I have been working for 1 year as a TA primarily in the subject/age range I wish to teach, previous to that I had 5 days of observation in my old secondary school (with the new head of department for my subject), 2 weeks volunteering in a special school and took part in a Uni volunteer project giving workshops to kids in local secondary schools.

Re-reading this I hope I don't come across as whiny as that wasn't my intention. Just will have to hope I can arrange for unpaid leave to do this additional observation I guess! :frown:
Reply 875
Quick Question, can somebody provide me a link of where to register for the QTS exams and how much they cost? Thanks

I'm worrying as I hadn't planned on needing additional observation time in another school. I have been working for 1 year as a TA primarily in the subject/age range I wish to teach, previous to that I had 5 days of observation in my old secondary school (with the new head of department for my subject), 2 weeks volunteering in a special school and took part in a Uni volunteer project giving workshops to kids in local secondary schools.

Re-reading this I hope I don't come across as whiny as that wasn't my intention. Just will have to hope I can arrange for unpaid leave to do this additional observation I guess! :frown:

Yeah, kinda of. :colondollar:

Maybe that requirement is specific to that university. Btw, which university was that?
- 1 Year TA
- 5 days observation
- 2 weeks volunteering in a SEN school
- Workshops to kids
It sounds like plenty of experience to me. :smile:

I'm assuming that the school you currently work in isn't your old secondary?
If so and you have 5 days in your old secondary school then you meet the requirement.
Does anyone know the ratio of applications to interviews to offers? I'm a bit of a stats freak. :colone:
Original post by alabelle

Snap. Then add to that four children under 10 and you have my life right now. But i'll get there - we all will!

I'm quite annoyed about the date being pushed back because I just want to get things done!

Latest

Trending

Trending