The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by bluebell_flames
I really hope you're right! Everyone on TSR seems to think this, and yet their website clearly states otherwise, so I'm still worried. I've now convinced myself that every uni but Warwick is going to reject me :frown: (I hate waiting so much!!!)

When I emailed the admissions tutor for maths last year about this issue, they said they're looking for great mathematicians and so no mention of economics wouldn't be a disadvantage at all.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 861
Oh wow! MORSE and what's the other one? You must have had an amazing profile, receiving offers so quickly! May I ask what you had in you ASs/GCSEs and A2 predictions? (couldn't find you in the stalking pages :tongue:)

warwick MMorse and bristol maths.

Its pretty good but i saw yours on the oxford stalking page and i was like crap!

gcse: 9a*4a +A in addmaths. AS: 5A. 3A*A predics... got 100% in 2 of my AS' which was mentioned in reference (dono if that helped?)

EDIT: when i say i saw yours and said ''crap'', i meant crap as in damn your grades are sick, not your grades are crap. thought id clear that up loool...theyre better than mine IIRC
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CD315
When I emailed the admissions tutor for maths last year about this issue, they said they're looking for great mathematicians and so no mention of economics wouldn't be a disadvantage at all.

That's great! Thanks a lot for this - good to know :smile:
Original post by IceKidd
warwick MMorse and bristol maths.

Its pretty good but i saw yours on the oxford stalking page and i was like crap!

gcse: 9a*4a +A in addmaths. AS: 5A. 3A*A predics... got 100% in 2 of my AS' which was mentioned in reference (dono if that helped?)

EDIT: when i say i saw yours and said ''crap'', i meant crap as in damn your grades are sick, not your grades are crap. thought id clear that up loool...theyre better than mine IIRC

Yeah, yours are obviously terrible :rolleyes: Our grades are really not that different! (And I understood what you meant :tongue:)

EDIT: What subjects were the 100%s in? That's amazing! The closest I got was 99.7% in AS maths :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 864
Yeah, yours are obviously terrible :rolleyes: Our grades are really not that different! (And I understood what you meant :tongue:)

you got 1 more a* than me at gcse :angry:

lmao, whats your AS' and predics. I just remember your gcses
Original post by IceKidd
you got 1 more a* than me at gcse :angry:

lmao, whats your AS' and predics. I just remember your gcses

Had A*aaa (did A level maths last year and doing A level further this year) targeted 5 A*s (but one of them is in French, which is my first language and another in English Lang/lit which... isn't as hard as certain other subjects :tongue:). And obviously Merton are SO going to reject you for that 1 A* :wink:
Reply 866

EDIT: What subjects were the 100%s in? That's amazing! The closest I got was 99.7% in AS maths :frown:

did maths, further maths,chem, physics, ICT. 100%s in maths nd ICT. did 5 maths alevel modules tho and got 100 in C3 too :tongue:
Reply 867
Had A*aaa (did A level maths last year and doing A level further this year) targeted 5 A*s (but one of them is in French, which is my first language and another in English Lang/lit which... isn't as hard as certain other subjects :tongue:). And obviously Merton are SO going to reject you for that 1 A* :wink:

i would reject me. couldnt even break into the double digits. oh i hate english. got 179/200 in my englit gcse, the scoundrels!
Original post by IceKidd
did maths, further maths,chem, physics, ICT. 100%s in maths nd ICT. did 5 maths alevel modules tho and got 100 in C3 too :tongue:

Wow - congrats!! I did horrifically in C3 for some reason (the WJEC had a really average paper), but had 10 marks over the full UMS in C4, which was a ridiculously hard paper *face palm*
Reply 869
Wow - congrats!! I did horrifically in C3 for some reason (the WJEC had a really average paper), but had 10 marks over the full UMS in C4, which was a ridiculously hard paper *face palm*

niceee! What was your maths alevel modules breakdown then?
Original post by IceKidd
i would reject me. couldnt even break into the double digits. oh i hate english. got 179/200 in my englit gcse, the scoundrels!

Lmao and I kind of hate it too to be honest, but I'm just quite good at it, so felt like I had to take it :frown: But I guess it was worth it - got 98.5% UMS in it having started my revision 2 days before the exam :/ A2 is soooo boring though :frown:
Original post by IceKidd
niceee! What was your maths alevel modules breakdown then?

C1 - 99 (I still hate myself for it)
C2 - 100
S1 - 100
C3 - 85 (no comment)
C4 - 100
S2 - 98

You? :smile: (I fear we may have gone off on a bit of a major tangent from the topic of LSE admissions :/)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 872
Lmao and I kind of hate it too to be honest, but I'm just quite good at it, so felt like I had to take it :frown: But I guess it was worth it - got 98.5% UMS in it having started my revision 2 days before the exam :/ A2 is soooo boring though :frown:

haha maybe we should stop derailing the thread now then! but you have some mad UMS, usually youd be mad not to apply to camb, but for maths steps the issue init
Original post by IceKidd
haha maybe we should stop derailing the thread now then! but you have some mad UMS, usually youd be mad not to apply to camb, but for maths steps the issue init

Thanks, and yeah... Although I'll probably still have to do STEP I and II once I've failed the MAT, and Oxford and Imperial have rejected me :tongue: Is the STEP the reason why you applied for MORSE rather than straight maths at Warwick? (last question and then I'll stop 'derailing the thread' :wink:)
Reply 874
Thanks, and yeah... Although I'll probably still have to do STEP I and II once I've failed the MAT, and Oxford and Imperial have rejected me :tongue: Is the STEP the reason why you applied for MORSE rather than straight maths at Warwick? (last question and then I'll stop 'derailing the thread' :wink:)

haha im doing STEP I,II and III anyway :colone: I chose MMorse because I want to go into finance/actuary and warwick mmorse is really well respected for that. Like if i got offer from oxf and warwick, i *might* choose warwick depending on whats better financially for me and jobswise. I chose oxf over camb though because I thought STEP was a liability, getting 1,1 in II and III i reckon i could get but you could easily get a paper where the questions dont really go your way and youre screwed ygm. Also i much preferred havng the entrance test before offers rather than after because i felt i would do myself justice in a maths test and not in the interview, so mighthave not even got a camb offer
Original post by IceKidd
haha im doing STEP I,II and III anyway :colone: I chose MMorse because I want to go into finance/actuary and warwick mmorse is really well respected for that. Like if i got offer from oxf and warwick, i *might* choose warwick depending on whats better financially for me and jobswise. I chose oxf over camb though because I thought STEP was a liability, getting 1,1 in II and III i reckon i could get but you could easily get a paper where the questions dont really go your way and youre screwed ygm. Also i much preferred havng the entrance test before offers rather than after because i felt i would do myself justice in a maths test and not in the interview, so mighthave not even got a camb offer

Wow - good luck with STEP!!!! And yeah, your reasons do make sense, although I could never apply to a degree that isn't in the large majority maths! (even 75% for LSE doesn't seem anywhere near sufficient :tongue:)

Well, best of luck with everything, and hopefully see you in Merton next year :smile:
Reply 876
Wow - good luck with STEP!!!! And yeah, your reasons do make sense, although I could never apply to a degree that isn't in the large majority maths! (even 75% for LSE doesn't seem anywhere near sufficient :tongue:)

Well, best of luck with everything, and hopefully see you in Merton next year :smile:

Hahah well MORSE is mainly maths and then a load of applied maths so it aint too bad :tongue: Im gonna pick as many pure maths modules as i can though in my first 2 years

But yeah, chances are if we do get offers might even be from different colleges. Im sure you'll be at Oxf though, and hopefully i can join you there cuzzzy !:cool:
Original post by IceKidd
Hahah well MORSE is mainly maths and then a load of applied maths so it aint too bad :tongue: Im gonna pick as many pure maths modules as i can though in my first 2 years

But yeah, chances are if we do get offers might even be from different colleges. Im sure you'll be at Oxf though, and hopefully i can join you there cuzzzy !:cool:

Hehe - thanks and sounds like your chances are a lot better than mine :smile: (why can't I do the MAT?!?!?)
Has anyone received any offers for straight economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally!

Had my 5 weeker for Maths and Econ, due to hear back on 3rd December.

Awful trying to check email while on holiday but so pleased!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending