The Student Room Group

Vomiting during/after exercises

I'm vastly unfit, however any attempts to exercise often leaves me vomiting or close to.
Is this normal with unfit people? It's not the heavy breathing that puts me off exercise, it's more this sick feeling :frown:.
Reply 1
Could it be poor nutrition?

Also you shouldn't exercise til 90mins or so after eating. I suffer nausea whenever I've exercised too soon after eating.
Reply 2
I've felt nauseated when I've overdone it on a run, think I threw up the once years ago iirc.
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
I'm vastly unfit, however any attempts to exercise often leaves me vomiting or close to.
Is this normal with unfit people? It's not the heavy breathing that puts me off exercise, it's more this sick feeling :frown:.

Lactic acid build up. That's all there is.
Original post by katyness
Lactic acid build up. That's all there is.

Hmm. But I'm still breathing so I'm not too sure why I'd be anaerobically respiring

Original post by moonkatt
I've felt nauseated when I've overdone it on a run, think I threw up the once years ago iirc.

Not overdoing it, just normal exertion. Even running up stairs

Original post by Fusion
Could it be poor nutrition?

Also you shouldn't exercise til 90mins or so after eating. I suffer nausea whenever I've exercised too soon after eating.

I don't think so. I've actually drastically improved the way I eat in response to the weight gain. I don't exercise immediately after eating :biggrin:
Reply 5
Hmm. But I'm still breathing so I'm not too sure why I'd be anaerobically respiring

If you've been exercising for long I thought it could still happen... I studied that last year but I have forgotten some stuff :frown:
Reply 6
Not normal.
Original post by james1211
Not normal.

That's what I initially though but googling didn't show any conditions on WEBmd or NHS, my usual ports of call and I'd hate to bother my GP.

I'm hoping a med student replies on this thread :biggrin:
Reply 8
That's what I initially though but googling didn't show any conditions on WEBmd or NHS, my usual ports of call and I'd hate to bother my GP.

I'm hoping a med student replies on this thread :biggrin:

I wouldn't go to your GP over it just yet, but i would try and get an opinion off someone involved in sports such as a trainer or coach.
hmm I've seen people vomit after exercise but that was after intense exercise and she was quite overweight. If it's just like running up the stairs I would try and see a doctor to figure out what is causing as having to deal with that regularly cannot be pleasant :frown:
Reply 10

Well I used to be overweight, I struggled to run 200m without getting out of breath. But doing cardiovascular excrcises helps, it could be just running/jogging, or a kind of sport like tennis or swimming. But make sure it is something you enjoy. Your only feeling sick, as you did too much in one go. Most of the oxygen have gone to your muscles, and your brain is lacking oxygen.

Take running for example, you want to frist start off easy and slow, then gradually build upon that increasing the distance each week. E.g Week 1:1000m, Week 2:1200m and so on.
Rhythemic breathing is important in long distance running, I mostly do exhale twice and inhale once. There are different methods so it is up to you, find one that you find easy to adapt.

I'm currently boosting my stamina up, so it reach its peak around Christmas, doing a 6k cross country around december. :I Oh don't drink water or eat anything before you run, it will be very likely to give you a stitch.

Bro Tip: Try running where there is less cars/traffic around you, but trees or hedges on either side of you, subconsciously you will feel faster as your the only one moving. :wink:
It is just like your in a car and your watching the people outside the car, they look slow right?
(edited 10 years ago)

If its just the feeling then thats not abnormal if you're pushing yourself!!

Actually throwing up every time would be slightly more concerning, but again not all that abnormal as if you're really pushing yourself it does happen now and then!! I dont think its really to do with how fit you are

What type of exercise do you usually do? How hard are you pushing yourself??
If you notice you are only actually throwing up after long bouts of cardio at a high intensity then it just means you are working hard!!
Reply 12

Not overdoing it, just normal exertion. Even running up stairs

I don't think so. I've actually drastically improved the way I eat in response to the weight gain. I don't exercise immediately after eating :biggrin:

Ok,..first of all...some basic physiology...you don't have to stop breathing in order to respire anaerobically...just think about that statement for a second. Anaerobic respiration doesn't mean that you are not breathing, cellular respiration is a different process and is taking place all the time. When exercising your muscles begin to respire anaerobically because your breathing can't keep up with the oxygen demand, after a brief period of intense exercise and lactic acid is built up by this process causing what is known as an oxygen debt. This lactic acid can cause you to feel sick until that debt is "repaid" and the lactic acid is oxidised back into pyruvate.

Lactic acid induced nausea is more common when larger areas of the body are being exercised, eg. the legs. Exercise also causes release of endorphins and adrenaline which contribute to a fight or flight response, this diverts blood flow away from the stomach and into the muscles of the arms and legs etc. This disrupts your digestion and can cause the sensation of nausea and even vomiting in extreme cases,

It could also be that you have an underlying anatomical defect of syndrome which is contributing to this. My advice would be...if it is a common occurrence and you are worried about it, to go to your GP and discuss your symptoms. You should be able to exercise lightly and normally without being sick.

Quick Reply

Latest