The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Dietetics 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Elisa, are you from Worcester?
Reply 21
Original post by elisa_1996
I'm really interested in the course as well but I don't know much about it and what grades are required in order to do this course. Btw what is the difference between dietitian and nutrition?

It depends on the uni which grades are required but the highest i'm applying to wants ABB which isn't too bad. Lowest is BCC. Difference between Dietetics and Nutrition is basically anyone can call themselves a Nutritionist having done a Nutrition degree/no degree or a Dietetics degree whereas you can only call yourself a Dietitian if you do a Dietetics degree.
http://www.lizappeal.com/nutritiondietetics/Brady.html
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Im from NI so my first choice for dietetics (2014 entry) will be for the university of ulster..but thats only if i get the HPAT. So do any of you know where is the best place to study dietetics in England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Both me and my girlfriend are looking to apply
I've just finished a history degree, i didnt really enjoy it, didnt go to any lecture since november, didnt see my dissertation tutor once
However, i work as a gym instructor and lifeguard and have some knowledge of nutrition from my a levels

I'm going to have to do an AHE diploma this year, or try and do bio and chem a levels

I'm looking to apply at chester or leeds met simply because they are nhs funded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ndoyle7
Im from NI so my first choice for dietetics (2014 entry) will be for the university of ulster..but thats only if i get the HPAT. So do any of you know where is the best place to study dietetics in England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surrey, Kings College London and Nottingham are regarded very well
Original post by pl,okmijn
Both me and my girlfriend are looking to apply
I've just finished a history degree, i didnt really enjoy it, didnt go to any lecture since november, didnt see my dissertation tutor once
However, i work as a gym instructor and lifeguard and have some knowledge of nutrition from my a levels

I'm going to have to do an AHE diploma this year, or try and do bio and chem a levels

I'm looking to apply at chester or leeds met simply because they are nhs funded

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought I'd share some thoughts as somebody who has been involved with "marking" personal statements for dietetics admissions:

Dietetics is competitive. The NHS is looking for committed health professionals of the future through funding HE courses including dietetics...

We need to know that you have a good idea of what dietetics is all about; particularly if you're looking at an NHS funded course, most universities will be interested in your motivation to work as an NHS Dietitian. Albeit there is no absolute requirement that you go into NHS working post qualification (up for debate as to whether there should be if you're paid for!), most graduates do, and the course is funded and the modules designed as such. With respect, it's either a huge coincidence that both yourself and your partner want to be Dietitians (I hope that this is the same as wanting to apply to Dietetics!), or one or both of you doesn't appreciate what the course of study and more importantly the career entails. Having an interest in nutrition isn't enough, and your motivation will be questioned if you're not careful - there are too many candidates looking for a free ride with no intention of working in, or committing to an NHS career. I'm not suggesting this is you as such, and forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn.

In order to help to prove your commitment, it's a good idea to get some experience - shadowing opportunities (if you can), volunteer work in healthcare related environments, community projects etc - and be able to reflect on what skills such experience has given you, and what you need to improve on through further learning and development. Are there any Dietetic Assistant (DA) posts in your area? Many successful candidates have gained valuable experience and insight into Dietetics through working as a DA, which really helps support a strong application.

I also note what you say about your previous degree course. Dietetics is a busy programme of study, both from a lecture and assignment perspective, and the total of 28 weeks clinical placement which must be completed. Due to the nature of the course, unexplained absence cannot be allowed and may compromise your place.

I hope this is helpful; I'm sure you and your girlfriend are well researched - It's just an awful waste of your resources if you fail to meet the application requirements, or worse still, you are accepted and later realise it's not for you (or vice versa!).

Wishing you the best of luck.
I really want to do this degree... I will start a foundation year in September at north herts college and then I hope to progress onto the degree at the uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in a bit of a panic about my uni application in terms of my grades. I've just finished AS and by predicted grades were ABBC. C being in Chemistry and I know most Universities want a B? There is a few where you don't have to have it but it probably benefit me more if I did it next year with just a C. Would this really weaken my chances?
Hi! I'm looking to apply for dietetics in 2014. I'm going to be starting an Access course in September (I'm 25) with science based modules and then I'm going to apply for dietetics.

I've always wanted to work in the health care sector, but I've never wanted to be a nurse. I have a medical condition that means I have to constantly think about my diet, and I'm fascinated by the biology/biochemistry of nutrition. So a career in dietetics seems to be just right for me!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been through the interview stages as this is the bit I'm most nervous about.

I'm going to be doing my Access course in Birmingham and think I will apply to Coventry, Nottingham, King's, London Met and Surrey. I've looked at the course in Plymouth and it seems great, but I'll be 26 by the time I go to uni and I worry that moving all that way to a city where I don't know anyone is a big jump.
Reply 29
Original post by Sam00
Hi, after just finishing my Access Course I have been offered a place at 2 universities to study mental health nursing in march 2014, but I am now seriously considering applying for Dietetics for September 2014 but worried I might not get a place due to how competitive it is

I am however volunteering as a mealtime assistant at a local NHS hospital which I hope might strengthen my application providing I stick with it, I also hope to shadow a dietitian for a set period of time

Wow! that sounds like really good experience! I advise you go for it if your A levels are going OK :smile: applied for any Unis yet? I sent off my Ucas on the 18th October and haven't heard anything yet. Still! early days!
Reply 30
Oohh update - interview from coventry XD
Reply 31
Original post by Love-Life
Oohh update - interview from coventry XD

Well done! My school hasn't even sent mine off yet, it's just hanging about and I keep checking ucas and it says the same thing each time :frown:

When did you apply and how long did it take to get an offer? : )
Reply 32
Original post by Prees
Well done! My school hasn't even sent mine off yet, it's just hanging about and I keep checking ucas and it says the same thing each time :frown:

When did you apply and how long did it take to get an offer? : )

I got an email from Ucas on the 18th of October confirming they had received my application, and Coventry emailed me on then 28th :smile: There are 5 interview dates, the last one is in march so you have ages yet, don't worry!

My Ucas hasn't changed either, I end up checking it twice a day! :rolleyes:

Where have you applied, keep me updated and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 33
I got an email from Ucas on the 18th of October confirming they had received my application, and Coventry emailed me on then 28th :smile: There are 5 interview dates, the last one is in march so you have ages yet, don't worry!

My Ucas hasn't changed either, I end up checking it twice a day! :rolleyes:

Where have you applied, keep me updated and good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you! School sent my application back to me as they said my personal statement needed a bit of work so I've sent it to the help thing on here.

When it gets sent I will have applied to Chester, Surrey, Coventry and Plymouth for Dietetics and Leeds for Nutrition.

That's so speedy! I'm worried about not even getting an interview due to how competitive it is.
Reply 34
Original post by Prees
Thank you! School sent my application back to me as they said my personal statement needed a bit of work so I've sent it to the help thing on here.

When it gets sent I will have applied to Chester, Surrey, Coventry and Plymouth for Dietetics and Leeds for Nutrition.

That's so speedy! I'm worried about not even getting an interview due to how competitive it is.

You can send it to me if you want and i can take a look and make improvements? :P
And those are all great uni's, same as me aside from leeds, alternatively I picked Nottingham!

And yes, i share your worries I won't get any offers! i almost wish the course wasn't free then i may put people off :smile:

What are your grades so far? and any experience? :smile:
Reply 35
You can send it to me if you want and i can take a look and make improvements? :P
And those are all great uni's, same as me aside from leeds, alternatively I picked Nottingham!

And yes, i share your worries I won't get any offers! i almost wish the course wasn't free then i may put people off :smile:

What are your grades so far? and any experience? :smile:

Nottingham is a lovely place, I live here! Unfortunately it requires Chemistry which is why I haven't applied.
If I'm honest I'd rather not send it to you just for privacy issues. The help forum is fine but I'd feel a bit weird about it sorry :wink:

For AS I got AAABC and I have a B at A2 in general studies :tongue: For experience I went to a taster day in London and I've done a work experience placement at a hospital! I think even if the course wasn't free it would still be competitive due to people wanting to do Dietetics. Do people choose their courses based on whether they're funded and not whether they actually want to do it?
Reply 36
Original post by Prees
Nottingham is a lovely place, I live here! Unfortunately it requires Chemistry which is why I haven't applied.
If I'm honest I'd rather not send it to you just for privacy issues. The help forum is fine but I'd feel a bit weird about it sorry :wink:

For AS I got AAABC and I have a B at A2 in general studies :tongue: For experience I went to a taster day in London and I've done a work experience placement at a hospital! I think even if the course wasn't free it would still be competitive due to people wanting to do Dietetics. Do people choose their courses based on whether they're funded and not whether they actually want to do it?

It's a shame the campus at Nottingham is so far away from Nottingham! aha!

And no, I completely understand! no worries!

Those are really great results! :O better then mine! congrats! And yes very true, i would be very popular anyway, however you would be surprised at some people, who are very intelligent, can easily get high grads are are stuck fro choice. In this situation a free course like dietetics could appear very appealing :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
It's a shame the campus at Nottingham is so far away from Nottingham! aha!

And no, I completely understand! no worries!

Those are really great results! :O better then mine! congrats! And yes very true, i would be very popular anyway, however you would be surprised at some people, who are very intelligent, can easily get high grads are are stuck fro choice. In this situation a free course like dietetics could appear very appealing :smile:

It's miles away! That could put people off applying there so if you want to go I suppose it's good for you?:tongue: Saying that I know the buses are good here, they carry on well into the night so it won't be too bad if you did go :smile:

Thank you! What did you get? Arghhhhh that would annoy me so much! Especially if they got a place and someone that wanted to do the course didn't! Some people at my school have recently decided they're going to apply for Dietetics and when I asked them why they replied 'I like food lol'. That's not a good reason :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Prees
It's miles away! That could put people off applying there so if you want to go I suppose it's good for you?:tongue: Saying that I know the buses are good here, they carry on well into the night so it won't be too bad if you did go :smile:

Thank you! What did you get? Arghhhhh that would annoy me so much! Especially if they got a place and someone that wanted to do the course didn't! Some people at my school have recently decided they're going to apply for Dietetics and when I asked them why they replied 'I like food lol'. That's not a good reason :frown:

Really? oh that's good! We can still go out then :smile: I just love the countryside atmosphere in Nottingham!

And I got ABCC, This is in Bio, P.E, Chem and Drama. I have dropped drama! And yes! that's a similar reaction iI get for some people doing dietetics, hopefully the Uni's will see through them!
Reply 39
Really? oh that's good! We can still go out then :smile: I just love the countryside atmosphere in Nottingham!

And I got ABCC, This is in Bio, P.E, Chem and Drama. I have dropped drama! And yes! that's a similar reaction iI get for some people doing dietetics, hopefully the Uni's will see through them!

Hopefully! That might mean that they're hard on us at interview though : ( They're really good results!
Genuinely love Nottingham, it's a really nice place to live. Got good cafes and shops and parks and things :smile: I don't want to move away now that I think about it wah.

Quick Reply

Latest