The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SherlockHolmes
Could someone explain the answer to MAT 2007 question 5(v) please? I don't understand the one given in the solutions on the website.

sorry can't help you on that question as i don't have that paper, but i wanted to ask have you already got an offer from Bath?
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
sorry can't help you on that question as i don't have that paper, but i wanted to ask have you already got an offer from Bath?

Yes I have. The offer is A*AA or A*AB with Merit/2 in AEA/STEP.
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Yes I have. The offer is A*AA or A*AB with Merit/2 in AEA/STEP.

Well Done! :smile:

when did you send off your application
i still haven't sent mine off *B1tch Slap* :colone:
Well Done! :smile:

when did you send off your application
i still haven't sent mine off *B1tch Slap* :colone:

I sent mine on the 26th September which is earlier than most. You still have plenty of time to send in your application but the longer you leave it, the longer it will take for universities to view your application and for you to get a response.
Reply 544

In multiple choice sections there are 10 question [10*4] so an average person should be spending 40 minutes on this section right?, what sort of marks should one be getting out of 40 in multiple choice.?

Why 40 minutes? Surely an hour.
About 50 minutes is ideal, saving you 10 minutes for the longer part questions.

Ideally full marks in multiple choice but in practice 8+ is very good.
Reply 546
Original post by IceKidd
www.mei.org.uk/files/word/competencesFP3.doc

Not too bad I guess. There's quite a bit of stuff there, do you need to know it all as there option headings?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 547
Original post by IceKidd
trust me the whole of MEI fp3 is uni maths...multivariable calculus, vector geometry, groups, markov chains... Our S4 and M4 starts into uni maths too

hes doing normal OCR though, he wants to do what we get to do :colone:

Original post by bluebell_flames
You're kidding?! How is this even possible? I (naively) always assumed that all exam boards had to cover at least more or less the same content :/

I do feel for you, but I'm still completely jealous :tongue:

EDIT: WJEC don't even have an S4/M4, let alone M5/D1/D2/FP4 like some exam boards... Rant over :colondollar:

Don't get too jealous; with the best of intentions, MEI papers still dumb down the topics in FP3 to such an extent that you really won't have an advantage over everyone else at university - perhaps a lecture or toe at most. University maths is very different.

Original post by JosephML
Not too bad I guess. There's quite a bit of stuff there, do you need to know it all as there option headings?

No. You get a choice of questions, of which you answer three.
Reply 548
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum (and I hope I'm not ruining your conversation). I'm from India and applied to St John's, Oxford for Math. I have standard American qualifications (SAT I, 3 SAT II's) and will be taking the MAT next week. Do any of you know exactly how the MAT is graded? The past papers seemed interesting, but pretty simple. However, I've been told that full credit is not given unless the solution is very elegant or innovative. Is that true?

What kind of scores do international students with American qualifications have, generally?

One more question - does an average (or worse) personal statement ensure outright rejection? I wrote mine a few hours before the deadline, didn't even proofread.
Reply 549
Original post by JosephML
Surely you're just doing basic definitions and nothing really exciting?

True but it's interestingly different, and I've looked into some logic and other bits and pieces on line.
It's all relative anyway :tongue:
Reply 550
Original post by souktik
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum (and I hope I'm not ruining your conversation). I'm from India and applied to St John's, Oxford for Math. I have standard American qualifications (SAT I, 3 SAT II's) and will be taking the MAT next week. Do any of you know exactly how the MAT is graded? The past papers seemed interesting, but pretty simple. However, I've been told that full credit is not given unless the solution is very elegant or innovative. Is that true?

What kind of scores do international students with American qualifications have, generally?

One more question - does an average (or worse) personal statement ensure outright rejection? I wrote mine a few hours before the deadline, didn't even proofread.

With the multiple choice, your working doesn't matter - as long as you have the correct answer, you will get 4 marks.

With the longer questions, you just need to have a logical proof that can be followed and makes sense - nothing 'innovative' is particularly needed as far as I'm aware, just make sure it makes sense :smile:

Also, for maths, the personal statement matters less than for other subjects, particularly at Oxford where they interview. You definitely shouldn't get rejected on the basis of your personal statement if you have the mathematical ability.
Reply 551
Original post by CD315
With the multiple choice, your working doesn't matter - as long as you have the correct answer, you will get 4 marks.

With the longer questions, you just need to have a logical proof that can be followed and makes sense - nothing 'innovative' is particularly needed as far as I'm aware, just make sure it makes sense :smile:

Also, for maths, the personal statement matters less than for other subjects, particularly at Oxford where they interview. You definitely shouldn't get rejected on the basis of your personal statement if you have the mathematical ability.

Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression that my solutions need to be singularly novel to earn full credit. I hope that I'll be able to explain everything logically. :smile:

What kind of MAT scores do accepted international applicants generally have? 80 minimum?

Also, are there any current Oxford math students here who would possibly consider reading my statement and telling me how bad it is? I know it's rather terrible, I just want the opinion of a current student. I really don't want to put it up online and ask for comments from everyone, though.
how is the answer to this DCapture.JPG
(edited 10 years ago)

Express them all as powers of 2.
Reply 554

2323<23222<2999<299992^{3*2*3} < 2^{3*2*2*2} < 2^{9*9*9} < 2^{9*9*9*9}
hence
a<b<c<da < b < c < d :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by souktik
Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression that my solutions need to be singularly novel to earn full credit. I hope that I'll be able to explain everything logically. :smile:

What kind of MAT scores do accepted international applicants generally have? 80 minimum?

Also, are there any current Oxford math students here who would possibly consider reading my statement and telling me how bad it is? I know it's rather terrible, I just want the opinion of a current student. I really don't want to put it up online and ask for comments from everyone, though.

I'd gladly read it over for you. I'm a 2nd year mathematician at Oxford.
Reply 556
Original post by trig happy
I'd gladly read it over for you. I'm a 2nd year mathematician at Oxford.

Thank you so much! I'll send it via pm in a moment. :smile:
Reply 557
Original post by fizzy pops
2011 question 1g, I have no idea which function you use and why and do the limits change??? Thanks :smile:

sorry for the late reply, with that question its about the intervals, its just when a question like this comes up, if theres no easy way of doing the transformation or its not obvious what f(x) is then use the substitutions for equalities like in the answers.
Reply 558
does any one seem to finish the papers before the time limit?, if so by how many minutes or hours :wink:
In multiple choice sections there are 10 question [10*4] so an average person should be spending 40 minutes on this section right?, what sort of marks should one be getting out of 40 in multiple choice.

what are people highest marks in these papers?, do you have to be able to answer every question?

seeing as q1 is 40% of the marks it should be 40% of the time... 1 hour surely? leaves 1.5 hours for 2-5 or the other 4 you are doing
I aim for 35 mins in the MC to give me lots of spare time for the longer questions as they generally require more thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending