The Student Room Group

Biology A Level Help

Hello!

This is a thread to ask questions and talk about the biology A Level exams.(Also an excuse to get my questions answered :smile:)

--Can anybody explain me the formation of atherosclerosis because the textbook clearly couldn't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Hey guyz pl help me with the as/a2 biology syllabus as u know we don't have mych time ..can someone please send me the syllabus
Reply 3
Original post by eight.evil.ex
Hello!

This is a thread to ask questions and talk about the biology A Level exams.(Also an excuse to get my questions answered :smile:)

--Can anybody explain me the formation of atherosclerosis because the textbook clearly couldn't.

-the wall of an artery is made up of several layers
-the endothelium(inner linings) is usually smooth and unbroken
-if damge occurs to the endothelium (eg by high blood pressure) there will be an inflamatory response this is where white blood cells ( mostly macrophages) move into the Area
-these wbc and lipids(fats)from the blood clump together under the endothelium to form fatty streaks
-over time, more wbc's lipids and connective tissue build up and harden to forma fibrous plaque called an atheroma
-this plaque partially blocks the lumen of the artery and restricts blood flow, which causes blood pressure to increase
-the hardening of arteries, caused by atheromas, is called atherosclerosis.
Reply 4
Original post by Just ZK
-the wall of an artery is made up of several layers
-the endothelium(inner linings) is usually smooth and unbroken
-if damge occurs to the endothelium (eg by high blood pressure) there will be an inflamatory response this is where white blood cells ( mostly macrophages) move into the Area
-these wbc and lipids(fats)from the blood clump together under the endothelium to form fatty streaks
-over time, more wbc's lipids and connective tissue build up and harden to forma fibrous plaque called an atheroma
-this plaque partially blocks the lumen of the artery and restricts blood flow, which causes blood pressure to increase
-the hardening of arteries, caused by atheromas, is called atherosclerosis.

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending