The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lamp-y
Congrats on Lancaster! I applied there as well and UCAS was sent off on Wednesday, so four days ago. How long did it take Lancaster to give you the offer?

Thanks :biggrin: Well, I applied around the 1st October and got an offer on 11th :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by gearoid94
This is the cambridge stalking page, just in case you haven't seen it. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Cambridge_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2014_Entry

Yeah, I have, thanks :smile: It's quite scary seeing how well some people have done! :smile:
Reply 22
By the way, who's received the UCL questionnaire so far? I got mine today - a bit daunted by the idea of yet another thing to fill in with limited time to do so! :frown:
Reply 23
Applying for Linguistics at Lancaster, Manchester and Newcastle, English Language at Edge Hill and English Language/Linguistics at York St John.
Predicted AABB (English Language, Critical Thinking, Biology & Chemistry :smile:
Hello! I hope it's alright for me to post here. I'm applying for English Language and Linguistics at Leeds, York and Lancaster, and then just English Language at Birmingham and Manchester.
I'm looking forward to sending my application off soon. :smile:
I've already obtained my A Levels, I achieved A*A*B with the B in Art, which I hope to get up to an A before next summer. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Loopylamp
By the way, who's received the UCL questionnaire so far? I got mine today - a bit daunted by the idea of yet another thing to fill in with limited time to do so! :frown:

I haven't got it yet, How long after you sent your application did you receive it? What sort of stuff are they asking about? I know what you mean about filling in forms, as if UCAS wasn't enough!!
Reply 26
Original post by gearoid94
I haven't got it yet, How long after you sent your application did you receive it? What sort of stuff are they asking about? I know what you mean about filling in forms, as if UCAS wasn't enough!!

About 20 days after I sent off my UCAS :smile: (it came yesterday)
Reply 27
Hey, does anyone know whether you have to be good at maths to do well in linguistics? It's just that I've noticed that many people here are studying A Level Maths, and I'm a really bad mathematician (I did get a C in IGCSE Maths, though), so ...

Oh, and I'm not taking maths at post-GCSE level, by the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Raymond666
Hey, does anyone know whether you have to be good at maths to do well in linguistics? It's just that I've noticed that many people here are studying A Level Maths, and I'm a really bad mathematician (I did get a C in IGCSE Maths, though), so ...

Oh, and I'm not taking maths at post-GCSE level, by the way.

You won't need to be good at maths per se, although if you're not mathematically minded you will probably hate syntax. You'll be in good company, though - most people hate syntax.

Different universities have different takes on linguistics. I would pay attention to these differences and figure out what will be best for you in making your university choices. UCL, for example, is quite emphatic on formal linguistics, which may not be your thing.
Reply 29
Original post by TurboCretin
You won't need to be good at maths per se, although if you're not mathematically minded you will probably hate syntax. You'll be in good company, though - most people hate syntax.

Different universities have different takes on linguistics. I would pay attention to these differences and figure out what will be best for you in making your university choices. UCL, for example, is quite emphatic on formal linguistics, which may not be your thing.

Do most people really hate syntax? I love it and always assumed that most people interested in linguistics felt the same.

Where are you studying/did you study by the way?
Original post by lamp-y
Do most people really hate syntax? I love it and always assumed that most people interested in linguistics felt the same.

Where are you studying/did you study by the way?

I studied at UCL, a couple of years ago now. The majority of my course hated syntax, but it seemed very much a marmite subject - there was a contingent of about 6-7 people in my 30-person year who were really into it. As it was a small course I got to know students in the years above and below, and it seemed to be a fairly common pattern.

Studying linguistics was one of the most enriching experiences I've had in my life, but I dropped syntax at the earliest opportunity. I wasn't bad at it, I just disliked it!

Where do you study?
My UCAS was sent off today! My applications are:

UCL - Linguistics International Programme
Edinburgh - Linguistics and English Language
Sheffield - English Language and Linguistics
Manchester - Linguistics
Leeds - English Language and Linguistics

My AS levels were chemistry, biology, english language and psychology.
A levels are chemistry, psychology and english language.

ARGHHHHH :zomg: So scared, got an email from Edinburgh for their EUCLID thing and almost died thinking it was a real rejection or offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by TurboCretin
I studied at UCL, a couple of years ago now. The majority of my course hated syntax, but it seemed very much a marmite subject - there was a contingent of about 6-7 people in my 30-person year who were really into it. As it was a small course I got to know students in the years above and below, and it seemed to be a fairly common pattern.

Studying linguistics was one of the most enriching experiences I've had in my life, but I dropped syntax at the earliest opportunity. I wasn't bad at it, I just disliked it!

Where do you study?

I'm in my last year of school at the moment, applying to Cambridge, UCL and three others. Did you do the International Programme (with third year abroad)? And how did you find UCL in general? I did the self-guided tour a couple of weeks ago and liked the place a lot and am very attracted by a year in the States.
Original post by lamp-y
I'm in my last year of school at the moment, applying to Cambridge, UCL and three others. Did you do the International Programme (with third year abroad)? And how did you find UCL in general? I did the self-guided tour a couple of weeks ago and liked the place a lot and am very attracted by a year in the States.

I just did the straight three-year programme I'm afraid. UCL was fantastic - the department had just moved into the new building when I started, so the facilities are very clean-cut and modern. Lots of aluminium and glass everywhere. I don't usually go for that, personally, but I can't deny that it was a nice place to study.

The only downside to the new building is that it's ten minutes' walk from the main campus, which meant that we weren't as 'in the thick of it' as previous years. I think it was a worthwhile trade-off, though.

The teaching was fantastic, particularly in syntax. They tried with me, they really did haha. If you enjoy syntax then it's a really great department to be in.

More generally, I really liked hanging around campus as well. It's always bustling with students and feels the way a university campus should, really. The night life is obviously unbeatable if you can afford to take advantage of it, but there are still options for clubbing on the cheap.

I just got up so this may not be the most comprehensive appraisal - if you have anything specific you'd like me to talk about, ask away.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
I applied for straight Linguistics at Cambridge, UCL and York, Korean Studies at Sheffield, and Korean and Linguistics at SOAS. The latter is my ideal course ^^

AS: Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, English Language and French
A Levels: Maths, English Lit & English Language

Currently procrastinating over UCL's linguistics questionnaire and waiting for offers/rejections :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Just got an offer of ABB from Manchester :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by pikachen
I applied for straight Linguistics at Cambridge, UCL and York, Korean Studies at Sheffield, and Korean and Linguistics at SOAS. The latter is my ideal course ^^

AS: Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, English Language and French
A Levels: Maths, English Lit & English Language

Currently procrastinating over UCL's linguistics questionnaire and waiting for offers/rejections :frown:

Which Cambridge college? There's a stalking page here if you want to put your info down:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Cambridge_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2014_Entry

And would you take SOAS over all the others if you got offers from them all?
Reply 37
Original post by lamp-y
Which Cambridge college? There's a stalking page here if you want to put your info down:

And would you take SOAS over all the others if you got offers from them all?

Gonville and Caius though I think I picked the wrong college... oh well, too late now...
Yeah I would probably pick soas over the others as crazy as that may seem
Reply 38
Just sent off my UCL questionnaire! :biggrin: Has anyone else sent off theirs?
Reply 39
Original post by Loopylamp
Just sent off my UCL questionnaire! :biggrin: Has anyone else sent off theirs?

I only got mine yesterday...so that would be no :tongue:

Think I'll probably do it over the next few days/when I finish series 5 of breaking bad lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending