The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by MEPS1996
Anybody else find the MAT paper in 2010 extremely hard? I went from 85 percent to under 50 in this one. :frown:

I did Part 1, will try the rest tomorrow. This part didn't seem much harder, took me about 25 minutes; I'm guessing you were talking about the subjective sections. Which parts troubled you in this paper, if I may ask?
2010 multiple choice was relatively basic but questions 2-4 were much harder than other papers.

Question 5 was like a gift. Probably the easiest q5 I've seen apart from the locker question.
Reply 582
Original post by souktik
I did Part 1, will try the rest tomorrow. This part didn't seem much harder, took me about 25 minutes; I'm guessing you were talking about the subjective sections. Which parts troubled you in this paper, if I may ask?

is 25 mins normal for you. i find part 1 takes me nearly an hour. but i do normally get a total score of about 85-90. How long do the longer questions take you?

that q5 was very nice though...thats been my fave q5 so far.
Original post by IceKidd
is 25 mins normal for you. i find part 1 takes me nearly an hour. but i do normally get a total score of about 85-90. How long do the longer questions take you?

Someone's going to get in to Oxford. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD315
Anyone absolutely bricking it? I feel like I'm not ready but I don't have anything else to do - I've done all the papers available to me twice..

Me! I've already accepted that Warwick will be my firm once I get a rejection from Oxford and Imperial :/ I feel like the MAT has come around so, so quickly and there is NO WAY I'll do decently in it :frown:

Best of luck to you though :smile:

EDIT: I've reached the stage where I can remember all of the multiple choice answers because I've done them on too many occasions :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 585
Original post by yl95
Someone's going to get in to Oxford. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

loool yeah and when the pressures on in the real exam i flunk and get like 50-60 haha!
Reply 586
Original post by bluebell_flames
Me! I've already accepted that Warwick will be my firm once I get a rejection from Oxford and Imperial :/ I feel like the MAT has come around so, so quickly and there is NO WAY I'll do decently in it :frown:

Best of luck to you though :smile:

EDIT: I've reached the stage where I can remember all of the multiple choice answers because I've done them on too many occasions :s-smilie:

I'd take LSE if I got it.
Original post by IceKidd

85-90? Merton it is then for you! :smile:
Original post by CD315
I'd take LSE if I got it.

Mmm... I'm really worried about the LSE course - it sounds like it's pretty much all discrete maths and stats (I hate stats), and the module choices seem so limited when compared to some other unis.

What are your other two choices? :smile:

EDIT: Okay, that was a major exaggeration, but LSE do seem to strongly favour certain parts of maths)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 589
Original post by IceKidd

Yeah, 20-30 minutes is normal, but I haven't taken too many tests. If I hurry, I can get a complete paper done in about 1.5 hours. In the test, I'll make sure that I take 2 hours minimum. :smile:
Reply 590
85-90? Merton it is then for you! :smile:

lol well on average. its ranged from 81 -96
Reply 591
Mmm... I'm really worried about the LSE course - it sounds like it's pretty much all discrete maths and stats (I hate stats), and the module choices seem so limited when compared to some other unis.

That's right, although I love a lot about LSE so I'd be happy to go there :smile:

I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial and LSE. Only ones I'm certain of an offer from are Warwick and UCL - my least favourite choices :tongue:

You?
Original post by IceKidd
lol well on average. its ranged from 81 -96

Even 81 is above average though!! And 96 is just ridiculous :tongue:
Reply 593
Original post by souktik
Yeah, 20-30 minutes is normal, but I haven't taken too many tests. If I hurry, I can get a complete paper done in about 1.5 hours. In the test, I'll make sure that I take 2 hours minimum. :smile:

my god youre quick. what kind of score do you get. it usually takes me just over 2 hours to complete the test and then the last half hour is usually spent on that 1 mpchoice q i couldnt do and usually the last part of 1 or 2 longer questions
Reply 594

EDIT: Okay, that was a major exaggeration, but LSE do seem to strongly favour certain parts of maths)

howdyou know this. i havent really looked into their course content at all, but if its nearly all discrete maths i defo wouldnt wanna go there!
Original post by CD315
That's right, although I love a lot about LSE so I'd be happy to go there :smile:

I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Imperial and LSE. Only ones I'm certain of an offer from are Warwick and UCL - my least favourite choices :tongue:

You?

Would you mind if I asked what it is that you love about LSE? (It was a bit of a last minute decision for me, so I didn't get to go to the open day, etc.)

Wow - good luck! I've applied for Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and LSE :smile: (I strongly considered UCL... and then I visited it :wink: and I loved Warwick :tongue:)
Reply 596
Would you mind if I asked what it is that you love about LSE? (It was a bit of a last minute decision for me, so I didn't get to go to the open day, etc.)

Wow - good luck! I've applied for Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham and LSE :smile: (I strongly considered UCL... and then I visited it :wink: and I loved Warwick :tongue:)

Well I'm definitely an applied mathematician, so that extra bit of economics etc. wouldn't exactly put me off. Plus, as someone who's aspiring to go into banking, I've heard LSE is awesome for that. I also love where it is :biggrin:

What was wrong with UCL? I've never visited!
Original post by CD315
Well I'm definitely an applied mathematician, so that extra bit of economics etc. wouldn't exactly put me off. Plus, as someone who's aspiring to go into banking, I've heard LSE is awesome for that. I also love where it is :biggrin:

What was wrong with UCL? I've never visited!

Oh, I see :smile: I applied there because I'm considering a career in something financial, but I'm definitely more of a pure mathematician :frown:

And personally, I disliked (about UCL):
- the vibe from students as a whole - they seemed weirdly unwelcoming, etc (but then again, I went there the day after the Oxford open day, so that may have caused some bias :tongue:)
- the maths building - ugly inside and out, quite awkward/uncomfortable
- the fact that they don't seem to really HAVE a maths department. The guy who gave the maths talk said that the department had been growing over the last few years and they were now... 4 of them :/ (they said 'us' so it was ambiguous whether they meant lecturers or professors or something else, but that just seemed like such a joke)
- the location (not London as a whole, but that specific area)

I know that some of these may seem quite petty/weird, but I guess the vibe you get at open days is pretty subjective. But I just really disliked it...

Oh and FYI one of my friends went to visit their accommodation (more than one of the sites) and said it was prison-like and the worse student accommodation she had ever seen. Not sure if current UCL students would agree with that, but that's what she said...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IceKidd
howdyou know this. i havent really looked into their course content at all, but if its nearly all discrete maths i defo wouldnt wanna go there!

Browsing through TSR and this: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/mathematicsAndEconomics/G1L1_BSc_MathEc.aspx

(again, I was probably exaggerating a little, but there does seem to be a lot more of it than for just about any other course. No mechanics :frown:)
Reply 599
Original post by IceKidd
my god youre quick. what kind of score do you get. it usually takes me just over 2 hours to complete the test and then the last half hour is usually spent on that 1 mpchoice q i couldnt do and usually the last part of 1 or 2 longer questions

Gee, I never really figured out how to grade myself properly. How do you do it? I'll try it for the 2010 paper and tell you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending