The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Read for the first time to my Year 5s today. Basically the teacher is reading this book to them and he does it amazingly well - the children are proper into the book. Anyway he had to cover a lesson elsewhere and told me if I could read it to them. I said 'no' as I didn't feel I could replicate his reading style. But in did read them a book and went quite well. Better than I imagined. Quite happy!

Next week, planning and taking my own small group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just doing starters does feel really uncomfortable and stilted- it's far easier to teach a whole lesson! Things flow more easily and you don't have to worry about 'handing' the class back over.
Reply 2462
Original post by Mr Advice
Read for the first time to my Year 5s today. Basically the teacher is reading this book to them and he does it amazingly well - the children are proper into the book. Anyway he had to cover a lesson elsewhere and told me if I could read it to them. I said 'no' as I didn't feel I could replicate his reading style. But in did read them a book and went quite well. Better than I imagined. Quite happy!

Next week, planning and taking my own small group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! And it's awesome that you're reading to them regularly :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2463
Does anyone have some recommendations of resources for lessons for KS2 year 6?
Original post by Meus
Does anyone have some recommendations of resources for lessons for KS2 year 6?

That's super vague, which subject?! At my uni they said the best way is to start with the learning objective and then plan your lesson from there. The TES website has thousands of free resources :smile:
Reply 2465
Original post by Sarang_assa
That's super vague, which subject?! At my uni they said the best way is to start with the learning objective and then plan your lesson from there. The TES website has thousands of free resources :smile:

Math, Science and English
That's still pretty vague! What topic within those subjects? (maths - division? shape? multiplication? weights and measures?? etc etc)

TES is a brilliant place to start. For example if I was planning a Y6 maths lesson on decimals, I would log in and search 'KS2 decimals worksheet' or 'Year 6 decimals game' or whatever. There are THOUSANDS of resources available there. I often see things that I don't necessarily use 'as is', but I end up adapting them, or taking the general idea and creating my own version that better suits my needs.
Ahh, half term over; now the serious stuff begins!

Just a question for previous PGCE students or indeed current (secondary school) how many lessons should you be taking after the half term? My mentor suggested about 3 a week at first but then other people say they have 10 hours a week teaching lined up? I'd rather do a bit more than 3 to be honest as I could see myself being very bored during my frees if I'm only doing 3 lessons a week or is this normal?
Original post by Steveluis10

Just a question for previous PGCE students or indeed current (secondary school) how many lessons should you be taking after the half term? My mentor suggested about 3 a week at first but then other people say they have 10 hours a week teaching lined up? I'd rather do a bit more than 3 to be honest as I could see myself being very bored during my frees if I'm only doing 3 lessons a week or is this normal?

I did 10 hours per week in my first teaching placement.

Actually, it was a 2-week timetable, so I did 10 hours one week and 8 hours the other. I did my full timetable for the whole 8 weeks of teaching placement (after a few induction days and a week of observing) but I know some people in other schools started by teaching just their Year 7s and then the Year 8s in the 2nd week, etc. and other people did parts of lessons rather than the whole hour/50 minutes.

It really depends on what you and your mentor want to do and you need to discuss it.
Reply 2469

And in addition to what myrtille said (good advice) what your uni wants you to do. My uni (although primary but I suspect they organise secondary in a similar way) like to very much phase you in week by week. Don't worry too much about comparing yourself to others, certainly not on different courses, just make sure your uni and mentor are happy and that you feel comfortable... and don't be afraid to ask to change, say you'd like more challenge so can you do more, you're finding it too much so can you cut out one or two lessons for a week and phase them back in, etc.

xxx

My uni's said we have to do at least, but not much more than 6 solo lessons in this entire placement, and be involved with (observing, teaching bits and pieces of lessons) between 6 and 12 lessons per week. Which doesn't seem like a lot. My school want me working up to taking 6-8 full lessons per week by the end of placement.. Not sure who to go with though
During my PGCE I never taught more than 10 lessons a week- even at the end! I wasn't on my full timetable until late November, I distinctly remember. This was a 12 week placement that I had started in mid October. My first placement I taught 8 hours in a week.
Original post by Aleeece123
My uni's said we have to do at least, but not much more than 6 solo lessons in this entire placement, and be involved with (observing, teaching bits and pieces of lessons) between 6 and 12 lessons per week. Which doesn't seem like a lot. My school want me working up to taking 6-8 full lessons per week by the end of placement.. Not sure who to go with though

If you can manage it, I'd go with your school's expectations more than the university's minimum requirement.

Your school mentor will be writing your references for any jobs you apply to in the spring (before you start your second placement and use your mentor there instead) so it's good to show you're willing to go the extra mile, within reason.

Also, the point of the placement is to prepare you for working as a teacher. Next year, in a full-time post, you will have up to 24 lessons per week to plan and teach (if you have 50 minute lessons, obviously less if your lessons are 1 hour) and whilst obviously doing that as a student is impossible (feels it sometimes as an NQT too!) doing 6-8 lessons per week will prepare you by giving you responsibility for a few classes so you can get to know them and build on previous lessons you have taught rather than doing one-offs.

Maybe build up gradually - if at 5 lessons per week you feel that's enough, you can remind the school that the university only expects you to do 6 lessons in the whole placement, so you're already doing plenty. And if you feel up to working up to 6-8 then it's all good practice. :smile:
Reply 2473
Original post by Aleeece123

Original post by myrtille
If you can manage it, I'd go with your school's expectations more than the university's minimum requirement.

Your school mentor will be writing your references for any jobs you apply to in the spring (before you start your second placement and use your mentor there instead) so it's good to show you're willing to go the extra mile, within reason.

Also, the point of the placement is to prepare you for working as a teacher. Next year, in a full-time post, you will have up to 24 lessons per week to plan and teach (if you have 50 minute lessons, obviously less if your lessons are 1 hour) and whilst obviously doing that as a student is impossible (feels it sometimes as an NQT too!) doing 6-8 lessons per week will prepare you by giving you responsibility for a few classes so you can get to know them and build on previous lessons you have taught rather than doing one-offs.

Maybe build up gradually - if at 5 lessons per week you feel that's enough, you can remind the school that the university only expects you to do 6 lessons in the whole placement, so you're already doing plenty. And if you feel up to working up to 6-8 then it's all good practice. :smile:

Plus make sure you look closely at what the uni has asked you to do i.e. make sure you aren't neglecting other tasks which have been set such as observations or preparation for assignments. And take full advantage of making observations as they are so so valuable!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my first really stressful day today and wasn't even teaching!

Firstly, I learned from my tutor at Uni that my mentor at my school left the mentor meeting at Uni after only five minutes in tears. I told my tutor that my mentor had been a bit stressed and had cried in front of me the other week. My tutor said she's going to come in to school on Friday to investigate and have a meeting with my mentor and my PLC.

My mentor seemed ok today but didn't tell me why she left in tears at the Uni meeting so I didn't probe her. She's just an odd woman, I'm finding it hard to establish a relationship with her; sometimes we have brief conversations about things other than school stuff but most of the time she just comes in the staff room makes a cup of coffee and walks back out to her class room. It's not the end of the world, just wish she was a bit friendlier at times.

Then, I tried once again to get my finger print ID which I've been chasing down for weeks; I rang the guy who sorts it 7 times at different points of the day and he didn't answer at any of those times. I know he was in as well as another member of staff saw him. I couldn't tell my PLC because he was on a course today and my mentor just tells me to see the guy who does it. I start solo teaching next week so I really need that ID before this week is over to get in the classrooms and get access to photocopying etc. It's just a bloody nightmare trying to get this sorted and believe me I've pestered and pestered.

Got home at 5:30 due to bad traffic and an after school training session. Had a quick dinner then went the library as I have my first lesson to plan for next week. It took me 2 hours and I still haven't a) completed the PowerPoint b) come up with a plenary or c) put my plan into the official performa sheet for the University.

Technology isn't my strong point and I found it so frustrating - I used some TES site resources but couldn't find a way to copy from Word to PowerPoint and I accidentally clicked something that makes every slide the same background but I didn't really want that. Couldn't for the life of me work out how to revert back to different colours for different slides. Small things but irritable after a long day. I gave up in the end and will finish it tomorrow evening.

That's just one plan and it was a struggle trying to come up with ideas as well. I'm still not 100% confident in my lesson, especially with timing, at the moment I reckon it will only take about 30-35 minutes and I have 50 minutes to fill but can't think of what else to do.

Then on top of all of that I got an email from Uni to say we're being sent in SEN two day placements on Monday and Tuesday (wasn't aware) and the one I've been given is in a very inconvenient place to get to and I have to be there for 8:30 so it's going to be a very early wake up and I'm not even sure how I'm going to get there.

Just feel utterly tired and like I have no one to turn to at my school sometimes.
Reply 2475
I feel your pain. Schools are always slow to get passwords ID logins etc. you often feel like a pest and on your own. I'm struggling too,although not with planning. It is just the amount of time the whole job is taking out of my life. 7-7.30am leave 5.30/6. Get home marking etc. in school this week two days in the holidays
Up and down really. I'm just taking one day at a time now.
Hope your situation improves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2476

Firstly, I learned from my tutor at Uni that my mentor at my school left the mentor meeting at Uni after only five minutes in tears. I told my tutor that my mentor had been a bit stressed and had cried in front of me the other week. My tutor said she's going to come in to school on Friday to investigate and have a meeting with my mentor and my PLC.

My mentor seemed ok today but didn't tell me why she left in tears at the Uni meeting so I didn't probe her. She's just an odd woman, I'm finding it hard to establish a relationship with her; sometimes we have brief conversations about things other than school stuff but most of the time she just comes in the staff room makes a cup of coffee and walks back out to her class room. It's not the end of the world, just wish she was a bit friendlier at times.

Then, I tried once again to get my finger print ID which I've been chasing down for weeks; I rang the guy who sorts it 7 times at different points of the day and he didn't answer at any of those times. I know he was in as well as another member of staff saw him. I couldn't tell my PLC because he was on a course today and my mentor just tells me to see the guy who does it. I start solo teaching next week so I really need that ID before this week is over to get in the classrooms and get access to photocopying etc. It's just a bloody nightmare trying to get this sorted and believe me I've pestered and pestered.

Got home at 5:30 due to bad traffic and an after school training session. Had a quick dinner then went the library as I have my first lesson to plan for next week. It took me 2 hours and I still haven't a) completed the PowerPoint b) come up with a plenary or c) put my plan into the official performa sheet for the University.

Technology isn't my strong point and I found it so frustrating - I used some TES site resources but couldn't find a way to copy from Word to PowerPoint and I accidentally clicked something that makes every slide the same background but I didn't really want that. Couldn't for the life of me work out how to revert back to different colours for different slides. Small things but irritable after a long day. I gave up in the end and will finish it tomorrow evening.

That's just one plan and it was a struggle trying to come up with ideas as well. I'm still not 100% confident in my lesson, especially with timing, at the moment I reckon it will only take about 30-35 minutes and I have 50 minutes to fill but can't think of what else to do.

Then on top of all of that I got an email from Uni to say we're being sent in SEN two day placements on Monday and Tuesday (wasn't aware) and the one I've been given is in a very inconvenient place to get to and I have to be there for 8:30 so it's going to be a very early wake up and I'm not even sure how I'm going to get there.

Just feel utterly tired and like I have no one to turn to at my school sometimes.

If it's any consolation the work load of planning gets easier and easier through the year, you learn what's important and what's less important, how to phrase things quickly, etc. It won't always take longer to plan than to teach!!! Also, for ideas try brainstorming with friends, it's unbelievably quicker!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Steve, I'm not sure if you are secondary or primary but I have lots of ideas for plenaries if it will help you!

I always struggled with thinking about how long things will last etc. Now I'm just like 'that'll do, I'll pad this out, I can make a discussion out of this, I'll get the kids to draw a spider diagram together' kind of thing. Now I find I can't get through every thing I would like to do with them!

Things like all-class discussions and feedback, questioning etc. were so difficult when I started teaching, that is one of the hardest things to master. I'm finding now that these parts of lessons can really fill the time up! I once did a starter of a picture reveal and it lasted half an hour!

I tend not to have any activity that lasts longer than 10 minutes with KS3 classes- this can keep the pace up. Google 'class timer' and display this on the board so it provides a count down. This kind of thing will help.

Hi there!

I'm just replying to say that I feel your pain. I too have a somewhat unsupportive mentor at my school. He's not a bully to me or horrible in any way, he's just absent and not particularly helpful during my mentor sessions. Part of the problem is that I barely have any of his classes! Instead I have been pushed onto the other teachers in the department, most of whom have been really lovely and supportive, the rest well... haven't been.

I'm also finding planning to be a struggle. I only have two lessons left to plan for next week but my word am I coming unstuck when trying to think of what to do. It's for year 9 and 10 who I find really difficult to teach. Not that they're badly behaved or anything. I just can't seem to plan effectively for them!
I'm very relieved that it's not just me who can't think of what to do. I thought I was a failure as a teacher at first for this... Need to keep reminding myself that I'm still training and nobody expects perfection yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending