The Student Room Group

Paying Board - what is reasonable?

I am going to be working 27 hours per week doing a night shift at Sainsburys and will be payed around £222 per week, now before I go to talk to my Mum about how much board is reasonable, could anyone possibly help me calculate how much to pay?

I am going to be paying out at least £30 each week catching buses to and from the workplace, and then obviously National Insurance each month.

So yeah, could anyone help out with that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you were my son I'd probably ask for about £20 - £30 of that.There are going to be those who come into this thread shocked that a child is going to pay board for living in the family home.I dont get that, I think it's right that you should pay something because you'll have to do it when you leave home.

Although I guess it depends on what your Mum says.
Reply 2
Is that before or after tax and NI?
I'm not against paying your parents but I don't see why any parent would suggest that. Parents (in most cases) have looked after you for 18 years for free because you are their child why should you start paying just because you are over a certain age? I understand if the child was earning a lot of money and still living at home but at £222 a week with some rents the child would be in borderline poverty.
Reply 4
Original post by MrJake
I am going to be working 27 hours per week doing a night shift at Sainsburys and will be payed around £222 per week, now before I go to talk to my Mum about how much board is reasonable, could anyone possibly help me calculate how much to pay?

I am going to be paying out at least £30 each week catching buses to and from the workplace, and then obviously National Insurance each month.

Original post by Annie72
If you were my son I'd probably ask for about £20 - £30 of that.There are going to be those who come into this thread shocked that a child is going to pay board for living in the family home.I dont get that, I think it's right that you should pay something because you'll have to do it when you leave home.

Although I guess it depends on what your Mum says.

I earned about the same (slightly over £220/week) when I lived at home, and I paid £170/month board, which would be £39/week,
Reply 5
Original post by contradicta
I'm not against paying your parents but I don't see why any parent would suggest that. Parents (in most cases) have looked after you for 18 years for free because you are their child why should you start paying just because you are over a certain age? I understand if the child was earning a lot of money and still living at home but at £222 a week with some rents the child would be in borderline poverty.

The "child" is costing them money.
Original post by OU Student
The "child" is costing them money.

Yes but the child has cost them money for the previous 18 years of their lives and the family has survived? I can see why they might want a contribution if the family is struggling to make ends meet. But if the 'child' is not earning a phenomenal amount surely it would be better to let them live rent free so they can save up and move out permanently.

Also not everything is about money when it comes to your family.
Reply 7
If the sainsbury discount goes up by 15%, which is going to (or has gone up), will the sainsbury entertainment also get the 15% disocunt for colleagues. I want an ipad air.
Reply 8
Anywhere between £20-40 would be reasonable. All depends on how much your family need it though.
Reply 9
Original post by MrJake

20-25% of your net income is reasonable for lodgings and sustenance.
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies, It's a confusing time period I must say. Very little support for me (from government, or anyone), I have no idea what options I have and I'm left sitting here, knowing I would not have enough for a bedsit+food+bills.

I have just sat down and worked out gross income every 4 weeks, which is when Sainsburys pay their staff. I am not sure how much NI would be taken, so someone can feel free to do that for me. Taxes, I am currently exempt as I have not hit the 9k total or whatever it is atm.

I have 27 hours per week at £8.26, 27*8.26 = 236.52*4 (the 4 weeks) = 946.08 every pay check. Not sure how much NI would be taken from that, I hear its 12%?

Anyway, would it be fair to offer £150-£200 every 4 weeks? Or am I being totally naive about this.
Original post by contradicta
Yes but the child has cost them money for the previous 18 years of their lives and the family has survived? I can see why they might want a contribution if the family is struggling to make ends meet. But if the 'child' is not earning a phenomenal amount surely it would be better to let them live rent free so they can save up and move out permanently.

Also not everything is about money when it comes to your family.

Their parents would have got benefits for them.
I work full time and pay £100 a month to parents.
Reply 13
Original post by MrJake
Thanks for the replies, It's a confusing time period I must say. Very little support for me (from government, or anyone), I have no idea what options I have and I'm left sitting here, knowing I would not have enough for a bedsit+food+bills.

I have just sat down and worked out gross income every 4 weeks, which is when Sainsburys pay their staff. I am not sure how much NI would be taken, so someone can feel free to do that for me. Taxes, I am currently exempt as I have not hit the 9k total or whatever it is atm.

I have 27 hours per week at £8.26, 27*8.26 = 236.52*4 (the 4 weeks) = 946.08 every pay check. Not sure how much NI would be taken from that, I hear its 12%?

Anyway, would it be fair to offer £150-£200 every 4 weeks? Or am I being totally naive about this.

Yeah this is a reasonable. :smile:
Reply 14
I think it would be unreasonable for them to expect you to pay board until you are in full time employment.
Original post by MrJake

If you get meals, bed, board, heating and washing in the deal you don't earn enough!
Reply 16
I pay £100 a month as a post-grad student. I simply asked my mum how much I should give and this is what she said. We're a close family and I know that this is a fair and honest amount - if they'd needed more they would have asked for it. I made the mistake of telling them about my ginormous bursary :ahee: so they know I can afford board.

Definitely just have a chat with your folks and ask if what you think is about right is ok with them. I know you're asking on here before you go and speak to your mum :tongue: but she'll have her own ideas - she might want more depending on your cost of living, she might want less if you're trying to save.
Reply 17
I don't know how old you are, and obviously a lot of it comes down to personal and family agreements.

Personally while I still have 'my room' in there house, I have not lived with my parents since leaving home for university, but I know of people who fit anywhere from paying nothing on the assumption they do there fair share of the cooking and cleaning picking up odd bits of shared shopping etc, right through to paying pretty much full commercial boarding rates for a let room.

Where I am (market town, beside the company I work for) the commercial going rate for a decent shared room on the rent-a-room scheme is around £320/month, fully inclusive of all bills/internet/etc but on the understanding the cleaning is shared.

Daniel
Original post by rachel.h
I pay £100 a month as a post-grad student. I simply asked my mum how much I should give and this is what she said. We're a close family and I know that this is a fair and honest amount - if they'd needed more they would have asked for it. I made the mistake of telling them about my ginormous bursary :ahee: so they know I can afford board.

Definitely just have a chat with your folks and ask if what you think is about right is ok with them. I know you're asking on here before you go and speak to your mum :tongue: but she'll have her own ideas - she might want more depending on your cost of living, she might want less if you're trying to save.

So you think £100 a month for food, cooking, heating, laundry, access to TV and internet is fair?

£25 a week?

You'll never leave home in that case!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by balotelli12
So you think £100 a month for food, cooking, heating, laundry, access to TV and internet is fair?

£25 a week?

You'll never leave home in that case!

I lived away for 5 years, thank you very much. I mean 'fair' in that it is an agreed amount, I don't just chuck a fiver at my mum every fortnight like some people I know.

Latest

Trending

Trending