The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Received an offer from York last week! Very happy :smile: Also are many people applying with deferred entry? I haven't done, but am tempted to ask to push my start date back... :/
Reply 1761
Original post by mahatma ghandi
I'm grateful, but my never satisfied and always striving attitude is probably the reason Im getting offers and people like you aren't

'People like you' who are worried about meeting an A*AA offer? Yeah, such a reason to be full of yourself..
Guys, stop this; don't stoop to his level. Let him be arrogant and condescending; that's no excuse for you guys to do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1763
Only an idiot wouldn't worry about getting an A*, theyre not exactly easy to get are they?

You could take it as a compliment - sometimes unis give out higher offers just because they think the candidate can meet them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mean to sound like a ****, but my offer of A*AA from Exeter is a bit of a joke, my friend got an AAA and my GCSE's As Levels and Predicted grades are all better than his. My academic record is near perfect, the only negative been 2As at GCSE

probably because if your record is " near perfect " then to them, you should be able to get A*AA easily enough without much problems.
I'm grateful, but my never satisfied and always striving attitude is probably the reason Im getting offers and people like you aren't

who do you have an offer from? is it just exeter?
Are you high?

It is though. You're only lying to yourself.
When did 10th best in the UK overall and 7th for economics count as second tier? where have you got an offer from then?

Tier 1 is Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL.

By the way, I'm applying to 4 of these, one twice.
Reply 1768
Original post by Mike_123

Are you applying to UCL for the year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1769
I'm applying to two of them, but applying somewhere isn't impressive, you actually have to get in. And what kind of muppet doesn't spread his risk? your the arrogant one by the looks of things

My mate is applying to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick and Bristol. Bristol is his lowest being AAA.

Why? Well he achieved A* in A level maths already, meaning hes basically fulfilled the A* requirement at 4 universities meaning hes only got to achieve AA from 3 possible subjects (Economics/Chemistry/Further). He also achieved average of 97% UMS in his AS subjects.

Its not arrogance for someone applying to high end universities only. Im sure Mike is in a similar position of high end grades / UMS. Why do you care anyways where people apply to?
Original post by azns
Are you applying to UCL for the year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No L100 UCL and L100 Warwick + MMORSE
Reply 1771
After reading the thread, just thought I'd join the bant!

GCSE's 4A*s - 6As
AS' - ABBB
Predictions - AAA
Applied to - York, Exeter, Southampton, Nottingham, Leicester

No offers yet :s-smilie:
Original post by Jupperrs
After reading the thread, just thought I'd join the bant!

GCSE's 4A*s - 6As
AS' - ABBB
Predictions - AAA
Applied to - York, Exeter, Southampton, Nottingham, Leicester

No offers yet :s-smilie:

Those are fantastic grades. I'm sure you'll get offers soon :biggrin:.
Reply 1773
Original post by Dilzo999
Those are fantastic grades. I'm sure you'll get offers soon :biggrin:.

Aha, thanks very much. That's nice to hear!

What's everyone's favorite 'second tier' university - ie of the ones I'm applying to.

If Exeter give me A*AA then I wont accept, and will choice between York or Nottingham. So what are people's favorites of those?
Aha, thanks very much. That's nice to hear!

What's everyone's favorite 'second tier' university - ie of the ones I'm applying to.

If Exeter give me A*AA then I wont accept, and will choice between York or Nottingham. So what are people's favorites of those?

York and Nottingham :colone: although ive got an offer from one and have applied to the other so im a tad biased hahahahaha
Reply 1775
Original post by Fas
York and Nottingham :colone: although ive got an offer from one and have applied to the other so im a tad biased hahahahaha

Ahah yeah, which do you prefer of those two?

- because my first choice is probably going to be one or the other (assuming I get offers) :s-smilie: - my sister's at nottingham and loves it, but i dont want to make my decision just on that.
Ahah yeah, which do you prefer of those two?

- because my first choice is probably going to be one or the other (assuming I get offers) :s-smilie: - my sister's at nottingham and loves it, but i dont want to make my decision just on that.

i much prefer Nottingham, higher rep, very nice campus etc etc :smile: you'll definitely get offers with those grades! although isn't Nottingham A*AA for entry?
Reply 1777
Original post by Fas
i much prefer Nottingham, higher rep, very nice campus etc etc :smile: you'll definitely get offers with those grades! although isn't Nottingham A*AA for entry?

Im applying for industrial economics at Nottingham which has.a slightly lower offer.

Thanks anyway - hopefully ill bag an offer soon !
Original post by Mike_123

I look at it differently. This is purely my opinion but I think Tier 1 is Oxbridge + LSE.

Tier 1:
Oxbridge, LSE
Tier 2:
Warwick, UCL
Tier 3:
Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham, Exeter
Tier 4:
York, Southampton, Surrey etc.
Original post by NedStark
I look at it differently. This is purely my opinion but I think Tier 1 is Oxbridge + LSE.

Tier 1:
Oxbridge, LSE
Tier 2:
Warwick, UCL
Tier 3:
Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham, Exeter
Tier 4:
York, Southampton, Surrey etc.

Fair enough. Your list seems pretty accurate though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending