Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by IceKidd
cheers!

can i ask, did they have this email update system going on last year aswell. if so do you know what happens after the 5 week email?

I applied last year. They didn't.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by CD315
I applied last year. They didn't.

Were you accepted or rejected last year?
Reply 942
Original post by kingmango
Were you accepted or rejected last year?

I was rejected.
Original post by CD315
I was rejected.

Did you request feedback on why you were rejected? Your profile must have been very strong, even back then (I know, LSE is very competitive, but even so...)
Original post by CD315
I was rejected.

Were your predicted grades 4A*s back then too? Also, I've just read somewhere that a smaller percentage of maths applicants are accepted for LSE than cambridge, LSE have an offer rate of 20% whereas cambridge was around 40%, would you say that seems accurate?
Reply 945
Original post by bluebell_flames
Did you request feedback on why you were rejected? Your profile must have been very strong, even back then (I know, LSE is very competitive, but even so...)

Were your predicted grades 4A*s back then too? Also, I've just read somewhere that a smaller percentage of maths applicants are accepted for LSE than cambridge, LSE have an offer rate of 20% whereas cambridge was around 40%, would you say that seems accurate?

I was predicted A*A*A*A*, GCSEs were 5A* 4A 1B; slightly below average. Also, I didn't think my personal statement was very compelling. Hopefully this year they'll give me an offer, right?

And yes, those statistics sound correct. However I think it's less than 40% for Cambridge.. Maybe 25/30%!
Original post by CD315
I was predicted A*A*A*A*, GCSEs were 5A* 4A 1B; slightly below average. Also, I didn't think my personal statement was very compelling. Hopefully this year they'll give me an offer, right?

And yes, those statistics sound correct. However I think it's less than 40% for Cambridge.. Maybe 25/30%!

Okay, thanks for the response, and I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't get an offer this year :smile:
Reply 947
Original post by bluebell_flames
Okay, thanks for the response, and I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't get an offer this year :smile:

I sure hope so :smile:
Reply 948
Hi guys

I got a rejection several days ago. I asked for a detailed feedback and they said although I showed interest and enthusiasm for the subject, I did not include my personal views and did not go into too much details. In particular, I mentioned Maths as a relevant subject for Econ, but other applicants could do much better with elaborating on the Mathsy side of econ.

Did you guys really put your personal views on things? How extensive were you on Maths? (those received the five weeks letter)

Thanks!
Original post by smashzeJ
Hi guys

I got a rejection several days ago. I asked for a detailed feedback and they said although I showed interest and enthusiasm for the subject, I did not include my personal views and did not go into too much details. In particular, I mentioned Maths as a relevant subject for Econ, but other applicants could do much better with elaborating on the Mathsy side of econ.

Did you guys really put your personal views on things? How extensive were you on Maths? (those received the five weeks letter)

Thanks!

Did you apply for straight econ or maths and econ?
Reply 950
Did you apply for straight econ or maths and econ?

Straight econ sir.
That's so weird, my 2 weeks ended up few days ago and I still didn't receive nothing from IR / Politics and philosophy whereas I just had to wait 5 days to receive the 5 week email from Social policy and sociology...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 952
Hi guys

Thanks!

What did your personal statement centre around? Did you mention particular fields within economics, or just economics in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Straight econ sir.

I'm sorry to hear that. May I ask for your GCSEs and AS? Did they even ask for UMS?
Reply 954
I a, so worried about my ps for accounting and finance! I really didn't show enough to what interests me about subject... Ah
Reply 955
I was an EU national applicant. I mentioned a few particular areas (monetary policy and financial markets).
Hi guys

Thanks!

I am extremely sorry to hear about your rejection. Regarding Maths, I only had 1 paragraph mentioning maths, and I talked about my favourite aspects such as how calculus could be applied to Econ and expanded into Lagrange Multipliers. And I just wrote about my competitions/achievements in maths. What did you do?

As for personal views, I did an EPQ, so I got to include some there.
Reply 957
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I am extremely sorry to hear about your rejection. Regarding Maths, I only had 1 paragraph mentioning maths, and I talked about my favourite aspects such as how calculus could be applied to Econ and expanded into Lagrange Multipliers. And I just wrote about my competitions/achievements in maths. What did you do?

As for personal views, I did an EPQ, so I got to include some there.

Well I just put that I undertook several additional maths lessons and it taught me how to tackle problems logically - then I mentioned I took a course at Coursera (modeling) which raise my awareness on the mathematical side of the subject. Although I did have some quite good competition results related to econ, I did not have any on Maths - and considering that there are like 15 applicants per place, "I am guessing" there were guys who excelled in both.
Reply 958
Original post by norah_bellefleur
When did you send off your application/receive the 2-week email? Also, are you a UK applicant or International?

Sent the application on Oct 14, the 2-week email came two days after. I'm an EU applicant.
Reply 959
Well I just put that I undertook several additional maths lessons and it taught me how to tackle problems logically - then I mentioned I took a course at Coursera (modeling) which raise my awareness on the mathematical side of the subject. Although I did have some quite good competition results related to econ, I did not have any on Maths - and considering that there are like 15 applicants per place, "I am guessing" there were guys who excelled in both.

I am applying Maths and Econ and I did 50/50 on both sides. I am quite worry about my application after reading this. May I ask when did you send off your UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending