The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by alow
I've got mine on the 7th :smile: I was wondering the same thing...

I've heard that if you're invited to interview that you've gotten a place but i'm not sure, i'm going to try and find where I saw that now :biggrin:
Original post by anniedavies
yes mine is the 28th! I've got an Exeter one on the 21st :smile: good luck!

Ooh! Good luck, hope they go well :biggrin:
Reply 722
Original post by Goods
Offer from UCL :smile: *conditions to be set based on an interview on the 20th

I thought ucl don't interview? Isn't it more of a open day?
Reply 723
Original post by v.007
I thought ucl don't interview? Isn't it more of a open day?

The email says one on one discussion with a tutor. So it's pretty much an interview but it to decide between an AAB or AAA offer rather than a place I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 724
Original post by excal9
I've heard that if you're invited to interview that you've gotten a place but i'm not sure, i'm going to try and find where I saw that now :biggrin:

Yeah it sounds like an almost guaranteed offer, it would be nice to know if they'll ask any mechanics questions or anything like that.
Reply 725
Original post by Tomtech
Thanks guys! :biggrin: I hope this 'roll' stretches to Lancaster giving me an offer too, but I have a feeling it might come to an end when Cambridge start to consider me, haha. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Durham really surprised me offering so early. They asked for my physics and maths UMS last week (275/300 and 286/300 respectively), and then gave me an offer this week. Last year I got 4 As (5 if you count Critical Thinking :rolleyes:), and I'm predicted A* in physics and maths and A in chemistry this year. So, overall not too bad, haha.

Oh, and after a lot of thought... I still had no idea which Durham college to pick. So I just put down Collingwood, for no particular reason. :smile:

Collingwood interestingly is the on of the only colleges with more males than females, or at least in some entry years. Take from that what you will

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 726
Original post by adi19956
Collingwood interestingly is the only college with more males than females, or at least in some entry years. Take from that what you will

Well damn, there goes my chances of getting a girlfriend there... too much competition. I should have found out these sorts of statistics and chosen the one with fewest males to most females... :rolleyes:. It can't be as bad as the male:female ratio will be in physics though. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 727
Original post by Tomtech
Well damn, there goes my chances of getting a girlfriend there... too much competition. I should have found out these sorts of statistics and chosen the one with fewest males to most females... :rolleyes:. It can't be as bad as the male:female ratio will be in physics though. :tongue:

I went through all of their stats. The ratio at Collingwood isn't bad at all. It hovers around 50:50 as most of them do. Having looked quite a few years back you can't really judge which college will have the most females apart from maybe St Aidan's which usually has more males than females, but remember that there's still the main union to meet girls (not sure if you were being serious...).
Durham as a whole usually has a small majority of females. Physics male:female ratio runs at about 80:20
Reply 728
Original post by excal9
yeah, it was yesterday, the questions in the interview weren't taxing, i think if you're invited you've got a place :-)

Congrats! How complex would questions go? And was there much personal stuff or all physics?

Original post by Goods

Wow good!! Congrats. Can i ask you when u submitted ur application if u don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 730
Original post by KorPhysicist
Wow good!! Congrats. Can i ask you when u submitted ur application if u don't mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first of October I think my reference was sent on the 5th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 731
Original post by Goods

Can i ask when you sent your application off????

Edit: Never mind, I didnt see the post above me haha :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IlariaM
X

Hi! :smile:
Im not applying for university yet, but...

Spoiler

What unis have you applied for?? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 733
Original post by Jtw95
Congrats! How complex would questions go? And was there much personal stuff or all physics?

it wasn't complex enough to determine whether or not you'd get an offer, they were mostly on school work and a slight extension using the principles you will know :smile: it was mostly about why i wanted to do physics, and not maths instead, and why Leeds etc. I didn't get asked specifically about anything on my personal statement.
Reply 734
Original post by excal9
it wasn't complex enough to determine whether or not you'd get an offer, they were mostly on school work and a slight extension using the principles you will know :smile: it was mostly about why i wanted to do physics, and not maths instead, and why Leeds etc. I didn't get asked specifically about anything on my personal statement.

Oh good maybe il try not to panic too much then, thanks a lot!
Reply 735
Original post by adi19956
I went through all of their stats. The ratio at Collingwood isn't bad at all. It hovers around 50:50 as most of them do. Having looked quite a few years back you can't really judge which college will have the most females apart from maybe St Aidan's which usually has more males than females, but remember that there's still the main union to meet girls (not sure if you were being serious...).
Durham as a whole usually has a small majority of females. Physics male:female ratio runs at about 80:20

Nah, I wasn't being serious :tongue:. But thanks for that link, the stats are quite interesting! :smile:
Reply 736
Original post by Jtw95
Oh good maybe il try not to panic too much then, thanks a lot!

No problem :smile: good luck, though i'm sure you won't need it
Reply 737
Original post by Tomtech
Nah, I wasn't being serious :tongue:. But thanks for that link, the stats are quite interesting! :smile:

What I found most interesting is how the percentage of of applicants getting offers is decreasing in physics every year. Obviously this doesn't matter to you anymore, but to others...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Heey :smile:
My name's Svenja and I'm from Germany! I've applied for Physics at Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh! Up to now I have received offers from Birmingham and Manchester and attended an interview at Imperial last week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 739
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Physics_Applicants_2014 - yoyo here is the stalking page for us amazing physics applicants so everyone join! (mainly because i can follow you evil people who have offers from universities so far and i dont :'( )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending