The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilzo999
Could I know your AS and predicted grades? My GCSE's are worse I've only got 1 A* although my AS are all A's. My father had medical issues during my gcse's although I don't think it directly affected my grades. Do you think it's worth putting it into my reference? I still haven't sent mine off yet.

Yep.

AS: AAAB - Economics, English Literature, Mathematics, Politics

Predicted: A*A*A (+a) - Economics, English Literature, Mathematics, AS Further Mathematics

+ I am predicted an A in an EPQ, Bath said they are big on EPQs. (Roughly equivalent to an AS level.)

Probably worth asking to put your GCSE problem in your reference. Also, as I was saying before, make your PS amazing and you should be fine.

I spoke to one of the lecturers on the open day about entry requirements and they asked me whether I had 3 As at AS including an A in maths, I said "yeah" and he said they'd "99% give me an offer." As he was not an admissions tutor so I took his words with a pinch of salt, but it definitely got me to apply. If that was completely true then I imagine you should be good for an offer.

I think the best thing for your reference to say is that although you don't have these sparkly 7A*s at GCSE or whatever, getting 4 As at AS is a real step up and that you are headed in the right direction.

Also, they said a "mixture of As and A*s at GCSE" would be advantageous. So a good number of As alongside will still make your GCSEs look good.

I had 3A*s and 9As, so as long as you have a good number of As alongside I imagine they will just brush over the results and get looking at the personal statement/reference.
Original post by Jupperrs
Okay so take out Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE and UCL

Rank these in order:

Nottingham, York, Southampton, Exeter, Edinburgh, Leicester, Manchester, Birmingham

I'd say from that list you gave me: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Exeter, York, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester.

Birmingham and Exeter could be either way but I'd put B'ham in front since it's a Bsc.

If I was applying for 5 Uni's from that list I'd choose in this order: Nottingham, Birmingham, York, Edinburgh, Southampton.

But that's filtering out the BA degrees and even though I rank Edinburgh highly, it's in Scotland and I think it's a 4 year degree which isn't what I'm looking for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NedStark
I'd say from that list you gave me: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Exeter, York, Southampton, Manchester, Leicester.

Birmingham and Exeter could be either way but I'd put B'ham in front since it's a Bsc.

If I was applying for 5 Uni's from that list I'd choose in this order: Nottingham, Birmingham, York, Edinburgh, Southampton.

But that's filtering out the BA degrees and even though I rank Edinburgh highly, it's in Scotland and I think it's a 4 year degree which isn't what I'm looking for.

Out of interest, why do you rank B'ham higher than York?
Original post by cathrg26
Out of interest, why do you rank B'ham higher than York?

Grades wise they are similar but I find the B'ham course much more mathematical and interesting compared to York's.
Grades wise they are similar but I find the B'ham course much more mathematical and interesting compared to York's.

Also, Birmingham is AAA whereas York is AAB, and has a slightly better reputation among employers since it's Russel Group
Original post by robin1125
Also, Birmingham is AAA whereas York is AAB, and has a slightly better reputation among employers since it's Russel Group

Both are Russell Group as far as I'm aware but I'd agree that it has a better reputation.
Reply 1826
3rd offer...Bristol! :biggrin:
Reply 1827
Original post by MissAF01

Congrats! So jealous...my top choice. What were your grades and when did you send it may i ask?
Reply 1828
Original post by abcd1711
Congrats! So jealous...my top choice. What were your grades and when did you send it may i ask?

Sure, had A*A*A* (already achieved) and sent off on 10th Oct,received a few mins bak! :woo:
Reply 1829
Sure, had A*A*A* (already achieved) and sent off on 10th Oct,received a few mins bak! :woo:

Ah well congrats, im still waiting impatiently for a reply :redface:
Reply 1830
Original post by abcd1711
Ah well congrats, im still waiting impatiently for a reply :redface:

Dont worry, you'll get one, plenty of time left. I was in your shoes a few mins bak :smile:
Got my first offer! Reading for ABB. My fifth choice, but nice to have at least one offer regardless
Reply 1832
Original post by D_Biddles
Got my first offer! Reading for ABB. My fifth choice, but nice to have at least one offer regardless

Sweet dude. Where else you applying to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! What were your other 2 offers if I may ask?

And when did you send your application off? I've sent mine on 15/10 but still waiting. :rolleyes:
Reply 1834
Congrats! What were your other 2 offers if I may ask?

And when did you send your application off? I've sent mine on 15/10 but still waiting. :rolleyes:

Thank you! Well first two were from Manchester and Cardiff :smile: Sent mine off on 10/10!
Original post by Jkizer
Sweet dude. Where else you applying to ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Two courses at Birmingham, Leeds and UEA :smile:
Reply 1836
1st offer: Economics (L100) Unconditional from Durham! :smile:
Reply 1837
Wow nice one, Durham are normally slow to give offers!! What AS grades/ gcses did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I had an offer... :frown:
Original post by Mike_123
I wish I had an offer... :frown:

:console:

You'll get one soon enough!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending