The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuziieB
I'm self teaching myself further pure maths 1 and perhaps 2 during my gap year and hopefully will be able to study it while working.

I wish I could somehow study mathematics and medicine as a degree, that'll be awesome!! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, maths and medicine would be great or even a maths module in medicine.

Are you gonna do a complete further maths a/s or just those two?
Reply 2941
Original post by Priya_Biju
I applied to biomed only last year as i only got predicted AAB. This year after achieving AAA i finally got to apply to med ! yay.
Fifth choice is MPharm at UCL :tongue:

I literally made an account just to ask this because i'm really stressing out! Do you have pharmacy work experience? I want to apply for MPharm at UCL as my 5th too but don't want to get rejected for not having any experience! Thanks :smile:
Original post by AAA_
Same, maths and medicine would be great or even a maths module in medicine.

Are you gonna do a complete further maths a/s or just those two?

I'll focus on FP1 for now. I don't think I'll have time to do both tbh at the end of the year if I find a job. I'm also not going to sit any exams, I genuinely am learning it just because I'm interested in maths. :yep:

Maths and medicine would be the perfect combination but I guess they are kind of unrelated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2943
Original post by SuziieB
I'm self teaching myself further pure maths 1 and perhaps 2 during my gap year and hopefully will be able to study it while working.

I wish I could somehow study mathematics and medicine as a degree, that'll be awesome!! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that would be totally fun- I applied to applied mathematics and statistics at Glasgow as my fifth option and put in a paragraph of bioinformatics, biostatics, genetics and epidemiology in PS statement to make it relevant, because I love studying maths but hope it's not a risk fifth option.
Reply 2944
Original post by SuziieB

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! Have you booked for the exams? I really wanna do maths (haven't done it at A level) :frown: but I'm not sure if il have the time to study for it alongside work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keh95
I literally made an account just to ask this because i'm really stressing out! Do you have pharmacy work experience? I want to apply for MPharm at UCL as my 5th too but don't want to get rejected for not having any experience! Thanks :smile:

Haha. Well I personally dont have any pharmacy experience sadly. But its my fifth choice and I am hoping I will get into med. So really didnt think about being rejected because of that.
However, I am guessing there r a lot of applicants who want to get into Pharm at ucl with the relevant work experience. I dont know if we will automatically get rejected. Worth a try :tongue:

Where else have u applied?
Reply 2946
[QUOTE="Priya_Biju;44997041"]Haha. Well I personally dont have any pharmacy experience sadly. But its my fifth choice and I am hoping I will get into med. So really didnt think about being rejected because of that.
However, I am guessing there r a lot of applicants who want to get into Pharm at ucl with the relevant work experience. I dont know if we will automatically get rejected. Worth a try :tongue:

Where else have u applied?[/QUOTE

Yeah I've been trying to get some in local pharmacists but i'm starting to think it'll be better to just apply than wait too long! Yeah hopefully we'll both get into medicine this time i guess i'm just pessimistic! I'm more worried about what i'm gonna write in my supplementary personal statement if i haven't got any pharmacy experience..

I applied to UCL, St Georges, Barts and Kings :smile: you?
Why is it so hard to get a first job :frown: I just want enough money for Ps4 :colone:
Reply 2948
Original post by raveen789
Why is it so hard to get a first job :frown: I just want enough money for Ps4 :colone:

Are you applying for an HCA or lots of others?
Original post by PG593
Are you applying for an HCA or lots of others?

Lots of others and no HCA posts in my area at the moment. Also not sure if it would be a good idea to be one because I signed up to be a SJA first aider and I volunteer in a hospice regularly so the changing shift patterns of NHS jobs might make it hard to be committed to those as well :/
Reply 2950
Lots of others and no HCA posts in my area at the moment. Also not sure if it would be a good idea to be one because I signed up to be a SJA first aider and I volunteer in a hospice regularly so the changing shift patterns of NHS jobs might make it hard to be committed to those as well :/

Perhaps therein lies the problem because of your availability and the ones you have applied for probably are choosing others with more flexible timetables. HCA would be hard to fix around your other activities but at least for now you're doing something :smile: (We could do a night raid instead for your PS4, I know a gadget warehouse not too far off mine...you have a gun right? :tongue:)
Original post by PG593
Perhaps therein lies the problem because of your availability and the ones you have applied for probably are choosing others with more flexible timetables. HCA would be hard to fix around your other activities but at least for now you're doing something :smile: (We could do a night raid instead for your PS4, I know a gadget warehouse not too far off mine...you have a gun right? :tongue:)

I thought you meant a world of warcraft raid aha :colondollar: I was like should I tempt my geek side more! I always knew Id have a HCA problem but I figured that If I could get a retail job then my working hours would be at least regular so I could shift around my volunteer days, and by volunteering I could keep in touch with the medicine side of my gap year. Worst comes to Worst ill work in my family business but I detest it! Id rather meet new people and stuff through a job :tongue: Currently applying to as many retail ones as possible as a Christmas Temp!
Reply 2952
I thought you meant a world of warcraft raid aha :colondollar: I was like should I tempt my geek side more! I always knew Id have a HCA problem but I figured that If I could get a retail job then my working hours would be at least regular so I could shift around my volunteer days, and by volunteering I could keep in touch with the medicine side of my gap year. Worst comes to Worst ill work in my family business but I detest it! Id rather meet new people and stuff through a job :tongue: Currently applying to as many retail ones as possible as a Christmas Temp!

Haha never played it before :redface: Definitely go for the Christmas posts, perfect time to apply now and esp. in retail I'm sure you'll find something, at least you always have your family biz to fall back on, what is their business? :biggrin:
Original post by PG593
Haha never played it before :redface: Definitely go for the Christmas posts, perfect time to apply now and esp. in retail I'm sure you'll find something, at least you always have your family biz to fall back on, what is their business? :biggrin:

Dad owns an off-license/convinience store like mini Asda lol :tongue:
Reply 2954
Dad owns an off-license/convinience store like mini Asda lol :tongue:

Oh nice, are you guys based in East London? Crazy what happened to that man in Newham today...:frown:
Original post by PG593
Oh nice, are you guys based in East London? Crazy what happened to that man in Newham today...:frown:

Na North near Sheffield, hmm not heard for what happened there, ill have a read. Although my Dad has faced his fair share of abuse and problems from customers!
Reply 2956
x
hey how did you become a SJA first aider? it's somin I've wanted to do for a while but there never seem to be vacancies and they don't seem to reply to my emails :redface:
also if you're looking for HCA assistant jobs you could look into private nursing homes/ care homes etc if youve not had much success on NHS jobs.
Reply 2957
Original post by richtea5
hey how did you become a SJA first aider? it's somin I've wanted to do for a while but there never seem to be vacancies and they don't seem to reply to my emails :redface:
also if you're looking for HCA assistant jobs you could look into private nursing homes/ care homes etc if youve not had much success on NHS jobs.

I volunteer as an Event First aider with the British Red Cross. They are similar to the service that SJA provide. But always take on volunteers on their recruitment, just contact your local centre. :smile:

I used to be in SJA (no time now unfortunately, hence the past tense!) and it's really easy to join - just go ok the website and find out where your local centre is and when they meet, then just go along to a meeting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a seriously long winded process now I guess because they were sick of people joining then training them then they left. I've only just got my membership so I need to do some beginner first aid training when I'm told. I basically found the application on their website I think to be a volunteer with them then you fill it out and send it to the head office of the region you want to be a part off :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending