The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsbehonest
Question

What would you do if a patient (35 y/o) desperately needed an operation but was afraid of general anaesthetic?

Firstly you need the patient in a calm state. I'd probably achieve this by striking up a general conversation, then I'd ensure them that they're in a safe zone in the hospital and we only want what's best for them.

I think after they're a bit calmer, I would try to explain to them the need of anesthetics, and that the surgery can't continue without such. Saying that, I would also talk to them about the risks of it, and find out why they're afraid of it and I'll try to explain that the risks aren't as serious as they may perceive or that the risks would be worse if they don't have it.

Hopefully at this point, they're a bit more relaxed about the anesthetics and are willing to consent to it but if not, I would probably seek advice from a senior member about how to proceed or tell the patient that I will seek other form of treatments
Original post by CasualSoul
SUpER QUick question:

I've established that a person in a vegetative state is conscious and awake but has no awareness.

In general though can they still hear/ understand what is going on around them but they are just unable to react ?

Also does the same apply to coma (a person in a coma is not aware/ shows no signs of being awake)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24755585 :wink:

brilliant- thanks :biggrin:

Try a subscription to Student BMJ. It's free for the online version. I also get an email digest from the Lancet (also free).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really strange question: I am a science graduate applicant applying to undergraduate medicine courses. Do you think I should volunteer information regarding why I've opted to not apply to graduate entry medicine or is that totally unnecessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 445
They send the UKCAT on the 5th isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 446
Original post by Namita A
Hey guys...anyone received any interview calls from KCL, Leicester, Nottingham or Cardiff yet?

I get more nervous every day :/

I haven't got any calls yet either, just keep checking your emails :smile:
Reply 447
Original post by Pittawithcheese
When two people love each other very much, they have a special cuddle. About 24 years later the result sometimes graduates from medical school....

That...I salute you :smile: seriously...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
Original post by Hummi_C
I haven't got any calls yet either, just keep checking your emails :smile:

I heard that you don't actually receive emails when you get calls or offers...apparently you actually need to log on to UCAS every time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 449
I heard that you don't actually receive emails when you get calls or offers...apparently you actually need to log on to UCAS every time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Well I check UCAS anyway, but apparently interview calls don't actually get updated on Track, just the actual offer/rejection

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless there's been any major change since last year, you probably won't see anything change on track until you get an offer/rejection. And when something does change you'll get the rather ambiguous "something has changed on your application" email- and it's not until you log into track that you find out what it is. For interviews, all the unis that I heard from just sent an email/letter direct.

That said, there are some unis who'll update track for interviews, and some who'll get in touch with you directly for offers/rejections before UCAS etc. Just remember that everything official will be through UCAS :smile:
Offers to UKCAT Unis are unlikely to appear before the results have been sent through, plus they need time to review all the forms etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="A;45034306" Namita="Namita"]
Original post by Pittawithcheese
When two people love each other very much, they have a special cuddle. About 24 years later the result sometimes graduates from medical school....

That...I salute you :smile: seriously...

Posted from TSR Mobile

*bows gracefully*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicdreamer
What medical news should we look out for? There are so many different issues from so many sites. Which types are likely to be talked about at interview? Would interviewers ask about a news issue in the last 2 weeks or in the last two months?

Im thinking NHS reforms, A&E crisis and at the moment GPs are facing massive problems with budget cuts. Keep an eye out for other big things like stem cells or breaking research, they might ask what has interested you in the news lately :smile:
Original post by Cephalosporin
Really strange question: I am a science graduate applicant applying to undergraduate medicine courses. Do you think I should volunteer information regarding why I've opted to not apply to graduate entry medicine or is that totally unnecessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to jump in and say it, but prepare answer as they will most probably ask it. Be honest, but no you don't need to walk into the room and explain it straight away, let the interviewer/s lead the direction of questions :smile:
Reply 455
Hey guys...anyone received any interview calls from KCL, Leicester, Nottingham or Cardiff yet?

I get more nervous every day :/

iam applying to 3/4 same unis as u. Apart from the questionnaire from nottingham. No responses so far. Its too early to hear from them anyways. However, Kings do do interviews at the end of November!
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
Hey everyone. With the recent trend of med schools to switch to MMI's, do any who've had them have any advice as to preparation and/or an overview of their experience ?

I've moved this into The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread for you
Question

"A close friend in your first year medical school class tells you that his mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He feels overwhelmed by his studies and is considering dropping out of medical school to spend more time with his mother. How do you counsel your friend?"
Original post by Joannywhite
Question

"A close friend in your first year medical school class tells you that his mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. He feels overwhelmed by his studies and is considering dropping out of medical school to spend more time with his mother. How do you counsel your friend?"

I'll have a go!

First, I would console him, make sure he's mentally and physically well, things I can do for him to make him cope better! Obviously I will be emphatic because he's a close friend of mine. I would strongly suggest he seeks out professional help as that help will benefit him the most. So perhaps a uni counselling service or perhaps talk to his academic tutor if there is one so the tutor is a fully aware of the extenuating circumstances.

He must have put in a lot of effort, dedication to get into medical school and I will try my best to convince him to stay, get help and continue with his studies.
Perhaps he can see his mother every weekend so his studies during the week isn't disrupted. I will lend him my notes too if needed.
I'm glad he's confided in me but I don't think it's my call to tell someone else..I will respect his confidentiality if he didn't wish to seek help from elsewhere.

Meh :/
Original post by Joannywhite
Question

I would first show some empathy and offer support to him, it is some big news he is hearing. However I would encourage him not to consider leaving medical soon so hastily without considering his options. It is important that he seeks some professional help from the university about the situation, but I would also ask him if there is anybody else at home such as his father, siblings maybe even other close family relatives and also encourage him to speak to his mum to see what she thinks about his proposed plans. I think id also remind him that leaving medical school would obviously destroy his dreams of being a doctor and all the hard work of getting into medical school would be a waste. Its important to remember that every degree and all aspects of life their is hardship but we should not leave or try and get out of it so quickly. The hard work will pass its just part of the degree and there is always the positives to look at, the reasons why my friend chose to study medicine in the first place. If he still feels adamant on his decision then I could suggest leaving medical school on a temporary basis for a year or so rather than dropping out completely. I think the major thing would be to seek advice and consider all his options rather than jumping to rash decisions at the heat of the moment! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending