The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Ugs
That's great! Have you booked for the exams? I really wanna do maths (haven't done it at A level) :frown: but I'm not sure if il have the time to study for it alongside work

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not booking the any of the exams because I'm not bothered lol :tongue:
I thought you did maths?? Oh, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. It's really good and probably best to learn at your own pace. I'm going a bit quicker than I normally do because there's no confused class to keep me behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Delavie
that would be totally fun- I applied to applied mathematics and statistics at Glasgow as my fifth option and put in a paragraph of bioinformatics, biostatics, genetics and epidemiology in PS statement to make it relevant, because I love studying maths but hope it's not a risk fifth option.

Applied maths and stats is actually the modules I found the most boring although I got 100 in S2 :tongue: would you take the graduate route then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2962
Original post by SuziieB
I'm not booking the any of the exams because I'm not bothered lol :tongue:
I thought you did maths?? Oh, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. It's really good and probably best to learn at your own pace. I'm going a bit quicker than I normally do because there's no confused class to keep me behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Confused class" reminds me of the good old days :rolleyes:
So your just learning it for leisure? Not doing it as an A level?

I wish I did maths :frown:
This won't help with anything in particular, but in case you're interested, I came across a blog by a doctor who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer (I say 'came across', a lecturer told us to look at it).

http://drkategranger.wordpress.com

Aside from her diagnosis etc. it's an interesting read; she's unfortunately now experiencing the 'other side' of medical care.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
"Confused class" reminds me of the good old days :rolleyes:
So your just learning it for leisure? Not doing it as an A level?

I wish I did maths :frown:

Yep just leisure. I definitely would be studying maths as a degree if I wasn't doing medicine :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2965
Hi,
just joining tsr as a re sit applicant for medicine. I just missed out on my place (AAB) and am only 2 marks off the A in chemistry. I have applied to lancastar though and was reading they want you to change your ps a lot. I haven't, just changed/added in as spending gap year as pharmacy dispensing assistant and that I am re sitting. I have also applied to Liverpool for medicine after being rejected last year after interview. My other options are for pharmacy.
Just wondering if anyone had any feedback/ thoughts on the strength of my application for this year for medicine. Not feeling very positive. Also after rejection after interview last year was wondering how to improve on interview technique etc.
thank you.
Original post by TattyBoJangles
This won't help with anything in particular, but in case you're interested, I came across a blog by a doctor who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer (I say 'came across', a lecturer told us to look at it).

http://drkategranger.wordpress.com

Aside from her diagnosis etc. it's an interesting read; she's unfortunately now experiencing the 'other side' of medical care.

Fantastic stuff, thanks for sharing.

However little Miss BJ (was that too rude? I thought it was well played :colone:) tell me, how did the first exam go? Was it crazy hard? And have you had histology yet? Is it as bad as everyone says it is?

Your last post about forgetting how to revise is my worst nightmare and my biggest concern when I knew I was taking a gap year! Has it all slotted back into place yet?
EDIT: And when, my dear, are we seeing a full long-term blog with your own web address :beard:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ameelia22

However little Miss BJ (was that too rude? I thought it was well played :colone:) tell me, how did the first exam go? Was it crazy hard? And have you had histology yet? Is it as bad as everyone says it is?

Your last post about forgetting how to revise is my worst nightmare and my biggest concern when I knew I was taking a gap year! Has it all slotted back into place yet?
EDIT: And when, my dear, are we seeing a full long-term blog with your own web address :beard:

Haha, after all these years with this username that's the first time I've been referred to as that (;

It's going well, thanks! The exam wasn't as bad as I thought it was - I even got in the top decile - and they marked it within two days and then apologised for the delay! Makes a change from A-Levels..

Histology is a right mare, and we've been having it every Friday for two hours. Out of the eight or so we've done, I've enjoyed two. One was blood films and looking at leukaemia and the other one was on skin. The rest just baffle me as it's just a load of pink blobs..

Slowly but surely coming back to me! I haven't quite got back into the swing of things fully, but for our first exam we had the weekend before it off and that was it. We have almost two weeks off before the December exams, so hopefully I can afford to be a bit more thorough and get back to my post-it note usage.

Blog-wise, when I feel responsible enough to keep my current one up-to-date, maybe I'll consider it :tongue:

How're things with you? (:

:lolwut: I must have misinterpreted it.
If not,,.....
Oh dear, HCA work must have gotten to you. :lol:
I know it hasn't even been a month yet but I just want to know now either way! I'm so impatient haha - just don't want to wait as long as last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha, after all these years with this username that's the first time I've been referred to as that (;

It's going well, thanks! The exam wasn't as bad as I thought it was - I even got in the top decile - and they marked it within two days and then apologised for the delay! Makes a change from A-Levels..

Histology is a right mare, and we've been having it every Friday for two hours. Out of the eight or so we've done, I've enjoyed two. One was blood films and looking at leukaemia and the other one was on skin. The rest just baffle me as it's just a load of pink blobs..

Slowly but surely coming back to me! I haven't quite got back into the swing of things fully, but for our first exam we had the weekend before it off and that was it. We have almost two weeks off before the December exams, so hopefully I can afford to be a bit more thorough and get back to my post-it note usage.

Blog-wise, when I feel responsible enough to keep my current one up-to-date, maybe I'll consider it :tongue:

How're things with you? (:

What can I say, I am not only totally awesome, but also outrageously filthy :cool:

Oh wow, well done!! If nothing else at least you know you're doing the right things! From what you've written it seems that my usual method of 1) Making notes from textbook / around topic before lesson, 2) Making notes in lesson, 3) Collating it with my own notes, 4) writing up notes neatly on computer, revise, revise, revise from them and then when I've mastered the "long version" 5) Shortening my computer-typed notes into hand written "revision pages" with my own colourful diagrams and only included "necessary" exam info...just isn't feasible at medical school 8) I revised extensively and obsessively, and somehow I don't think I've got a chance in hell in medical school with a method like that...

I can imagine histology to be the bane of my life - I don't cope well when I don't know whats happening and it reminds me of my GCSE practicals (which of course, like all my GCSE's, I never took seriously) aimlessly wandering around trying to copy other girls, pick up whatever they picked up and adding (an excess of probably) whatever they added, only to look at my results or the resulting concoction to mean absolutely nothing to me. "This one will be RED!" Mrs Bunting would yell and i'd be looking at my green mixture wandering where it all went wrong....

Plus, if results aren't as clear as day, I really hate it. Everyone always made up their results in all experiments at school, going by what they know "should" happen..bit worrying.

Other things with me are OK, failed my bloody driving test which crushed me, I've got the car picked out and everything and now it turns out that I have to wait another 6 weeks to take another due to waiting times ! HCA work drained me but I was a bit naughty and took some rather extensive annual leave and sick leave from the so-far-away-its-ridiculous hospital, and am due to start at the so-near-it's-bliss hospital soon! Went to see friends at their respective universities which was amazing, had so much fun, can't wait to see them all again. Really, really, really missing the "learning" or studying though :s-smilie: Think I might try to learn how to play guitar this gap year, and since I have the money, actually pay someone to teach me properly... (this idea has literally just come to me..) But otherwise, just can't wait for the UCAS stuff to be done and dusted (I am having heart attacks frequently though, all worried and upset that i'm-not-going-to-get-in... :s-smilie:) so that I can fly out somewhere, anywhere.

You'll have to excuse the ridiculously long post, but I think I am missing speaking to my friends on a daily basis so much so, that I have taken to rambling about fricking anything on here....(saddo alert).
What can I say, I am not only totally awesome, but also outrageously filthy :cool:

Oh wow, well done!! If nothing else at least you know you're doing the right things! From what you've written it seems that my usual method of 1) Making notes from textbook / around topic before lesson, 2) Making notes in lesson, 3) Collating it with my own notes, 4) writing up notes neatly on computer, revise, revise, revise from them and then when I've mastered the "long version" 5) Shortening my computer-typed notes into hand written "revision pages" with my own colourful diagrams and only included "necessary" exam info...just isn't feasible at medical school 8) I revised extensively and obsessively, and somehow I don't think I've got a chance in hell in medical school with a method like that...

I can imagine histology to be the bane of my life - I don't cope well when I don't know whats happening and it reminds me of my GCSE practicals (which of course, like all my GCSE's, I never took seriously) aimlessly wandering around trying to copy other girls, pick up whatever they picked up and adding (an excess of probably) whatever they added, only to look at my results or the resulting concoction to mean absolutely nothing to me. "This one will be RED!" Mrs Bunting would yell and i'd be looking at my green mixture wandering where it all went wrong....

Plus, if results aren't as clear as day, I really hate it. Everyone always made up their results in all experiments at school, going by what they know "should" happen..bit worrying.

Other things with me are OK, failed my bloody driving test which crushed me, I've got the car picked out and everything and now it turns out that I have to wait another 6 weeks to take another due to waiting times ! HCA work drained me but I was a bit naughty and took some rather extensive annual leave and sick leave from the so-far-away-its-ridiculous hospital, and am due to start at the so-near-it's-bliss hospital soon! Went to see friends at their respective universities which was amazing, had so much fun, can't wait to see them all again. Really, really, really missing the "learning" or studying though :s-smilie: Think I might try to learn how to play guitar this gap year, and since I have the money, actually pay someone to teach me properly... (this idea has literally just come to me..) But otherwise, just can't wait for the UCAS stuff to be done and dusted (I am having heart attacks frequently though, all worried and upset that i'm-not-going-to-get-in... :s-smilie:) so that I can fly out somewhere, anywhere.

You'll have to excuse the ridiculously long post, but I think I am missing speaking to my friends on a daily basis so much so, that I have taken to rambling about fricking anything on here....(saddo alert).

Yeah, that method would easily make you burn out, I think. Here's my method..
- The day before the lecture, print off the lecture notes and note down the 'recommended reading'.
- Do the lecture, and annotate the lecture notes.
- Get back and write up the lecture notes, also adding in additional things from the recommended reading. I make sure I actually understand it, too, as everything tends to link in together. (I also handwrite things because although it takes longer, it sticks better.)
- To revise, I read through the lecture slides and my own notes and then make posters from it. Eg we had two lectures on the respiratory system, so I combined them and made one poster.
- If there's anything I'm confused about at that point, I'll look it up online or in the book.
- We have a subscription to 'exam consult' and our lecturers release MCQ-style questions on the topics we've covered in lectures every week, so I do those every Saturday.
- At the weekend, I'll briefly look over my notes again and make sure everything's not just flown out. It's actually easier to do this on the weekend I go to see my boyfriend, as it takes me 6 hours by train to see him. There's nothing to do on trains, so I take my notes and read over them on the train, both on the way there and the way back.

Everyone has their own method though, and I can't say mine's the best as everyone has their preferences!

Ah, sucks about the driving test! What did you fail on, do you know? I passed mine first time :wink: But if you know where you went wrong, try and get it all figured out before you retake the test.

Great news about changing hospital! I honestly don't know how you've kept it up at the current one for so long..

But yeah, good luck with all of your places! There's no reason why you shouldn't get an offer, and it's so much sweeter after all the hard work!
Yeah, that method would easily make you burn out, I think. Here's my method..
- The day before the lecture, print off the lecture notes and note down the 'recommended reading'.
- Do the lecture, and annotate the lecture notes.
- Get back and write up the lecture notes, also adding in additional things from the recommended reading. I make sure I actually understand it, too, as everything tends to link in together. (I also handwrite things because although it takes longer, it sticks better.)
- To revise, I read through the lecture slides and my own notes and then make posters from it. Eg we had two lectures on the respiratory system, so I combined them and made one poster.
- If there's anything I'm confused about at that point, I'll look it up online or in the book.
- We have a subscription to 'exam consult' and our lecturers release MCQ-style questions on the topics we've covered in lectures every week, so I do those every Saturday.
- At the weekend, I'll briefly look over my notes again and make sure everything's not just flown out. It's actually easier to do this on the weekend I go to see my boyfriend, as it takes me 6 hours by train to see him. There's nothing to do on trains, so I take my notes and read over them on the train, both on the way there and the way back.

Everyone has their own method though, and I can't say mine's the best as everyone has their preferences!

Ah, sucks about the driving test! What did you fail on, do you know? I passed mine first time :wink: But if you know where you went wrong, try and get it all figured out before you retake the test.

Great news about changing hospital! I honestly don't know how you've kept it up at the current one for so long..

But yeah, good luck with all of your places! There's no reason why you shouldn't get an offer, and it's so much sweeter after all the hard work!

Yeah, your method seems just as good, if not better and far less time consuming. I wish teachers in my a-levels made their presentations available so I could print out the slides and annotate them in class. But then I'm a weirdo like that :P

He tells me to pull in, and I pull in just after a parked car, but then I realise it's a driveway and so I ask, "Do i ignore the driveway or not?" and he just tells me to stop at a safe place - so I think to play it safe, I'll park where there isn't a driveway and so I pull out again - this time forgetting there is a big ass Audi that has crawled up my ass and has to brake hard to miss me. Gutted. I cried.

I'm on a general medicine ward this time though, which is worrying because everyone's instinctive reaction to that is like, "Ooh, that'll be a heavy one.."

Hope so!!
Reply 2973
Original post by SuziieB
Applied maths and stats is actually the modules I found the most boring although I got 100 in S2 :tongue: would you take the graduate route then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just received my offer on Friday:biggrin: kind of relieved that I will be at least going to uni next year. No, I will not be considering the graduate route. Well I did, Sociology as a fifth As-level, that's probably why I love stats and the idea of collecting and interpreting data. Also, I never saw the point of just learning maths without the practical use of it.:redface:
Reply 2974
Original post by App14
Hi,
just joining tsr as a re sit applicant for medicine. I just missed out on my place (AAB) and am only 2 marks off the A in chemistry. I have applied to lancastar though and was reading they want you to change your ps a lot. I haven't, just changed/added in as spending gap year as pharmacy dispensing assistant and that I am re sitting. I have also applied to Liverpool for medicine after being rejected last year after interview. My other options are for pharmacy.
Just wondering if anyone had any feedback/ thoughts on the strength of my application for this year for medicine. Not feeling very positive. Also after rejection after interview last year was wondering how to improve on interview technique etc.
thank you.

Well Lancaster as far as I'm aware are concerned on your GCSEs and PS, as long as you are predicted that A in your Chemistry you should stand a chance as any other to those medical schools, just try and remember what the interview was like last year, if you got any feedback after, get as many people to interview you so you feel more secure. Perhaps enrol on an interview course to get a good blend of question experience. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 2975
Hey guys I was just wondering,

With 1A* 5As 5Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

Aswell as having a distinction in BTEC Spanish, ICT, & Art

UKCAT Score 700

Having achieved AAAAAB at AS-Level, predited A*AA in Chem, Maths, Bio, Physics, Gen Studies, FMaths

Previously achieving CCADE at first sitting Chem, Maths, Gen Studies, FMaths, Physics

Do you think I will stand a chance at any of the resit applicant Med schools as I have applied to some already but I am now worried that with my poor GCSE grades it might be difficult to get into any

Also which resit applicant med school would you say is a no go area with my profile

Thanks in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2976
Original post by AhmedDavid
Hey guys I was just wondering,

With 1A* 5As 5Bs & 2Cs at GCSE

Aswell as having a distinction in BTEC Spanish, ICT, & Art

UKCAT Score 700

Having achieved AAAAAB at AS-Level, predited A*AA in Chem, Maths, Bio, Physics, Gen Studies, FMaths

Previously achieving CCCDE at first sitting Chem, Maths, Gen Studies, FMaths, Physics

Do you think I will stand a chance at any of the resit applicant Med schools as I have applied to some already but I am now worried that with my poor GCSE grades it might be difficult to get into any

Also which resit applicant med school would you say is a no go area with my profile

Thanks in advance

I'm confused...I thought you were applying next year (I remember you posting if you should sit the UKCAT or not despite your poor AS grades). If you have already applied for 2014 entry, which medical schools have you applied to? There are only a few who consider resit applicants unless you have extenuating circumstances. Out of the ones off the top of my head places like Lancaster and Liverpool do allow re-sitters but place emphasis on GCSEs/PS even though you have good predicted A level grades. It's obviously too late now to make changes to your profile but if you're talking about next year's cycle then go with places like Exeter who use UKCAT/A levels more so but check each policy diligently, many do change year on year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2977
Original post by PG593
I'm confused...I thought you were applying next year (I remember you posting if you should sit the UKCAT or not despite your poor AS grades). If you have already applied for 2014 entry, which medical schools have you applied to? There are only a few who consider resit applicants unless you have extenuating circumstances. Out of the ones off the top of my head places like Lancaster and Liverpool do allow re-sitters but place emphasis on GCSEs/PS even though you have good predicted A level grades. It's obviously too late now to make changes to your profile but if you're talking about next year's cycle then go with places like Exeter who use UKCAT/A levels more so but check each policy diligently, many do change year on year.

You're right to be confused, this poster has asked the same question so many times on TSR I think he will just keep going until he gets an answer he likes. Plus I think the UKCAT and AS grades are projected next year not achieved.
Reply 2978
Please don't waste your time replying to this - here is what Ahmed David posted back in September:

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to ask you lot for some advice as I am about to start college very soon and need to make a decision. I have never worked hard for exams in my life but this time I seem to have been caught out. I recently recieved my AS - level results and scored in my opinion very shocking results. At GCSE I went to a pretty rubbish school and never paid attention myself. (I wasnt exactly an exemplary people) however with not much effort I always managed to do pretty well. I achieved

1A* 5As 5Bs 2Cs 2 Distinctions & 1 Merit

I am honestly saying I didnt revise much for my GCSE exams except from the odd revision which I at the time thought was extensive for maths (I did about 1 hour 2 days to the exam each day).

Coming into A-Level I was willing to do better & I listened in class however in the jan exams came out with the folllowing:

Chem - B
Maths - C
Physics - U
FMaths - E
General Studies - U

Yet again only revised for most of these a week to the exam and some of them a day before. I didnt meet my teacher when I didnt understand certain things

Dissapointed in June I worked hard although with less than 2 months to learn Unit 2s which had never seen before & to resit all of jan exams. I attained

Chem - C
Maths - C
Physics - E
FMaths - D (150)
Gen studies - A

I have hopes to do medicine as I made my decision on entry to college to do medicine from petroleum engineering or medicine. I know that if I start revising and working hard now and carry on to A2 resiting some AS exams I could improve however the possibilities of failing are daunting.

I'm not sure whether to resit the year with this new found mentality of doing well or to carry on to next year and try and attain the best I can aswell as applying to some get into med courses which allow BBC etc If I carry on to A2 I plan on dropping physics and fmaths taking on AS & A2 Biology.

I was trying not to make this long as I really do need your help and would appreciate all replies and advice on what to do if they were in those situations themselves

Thank you
(edited 10 years ago)
^ :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending