The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucine.B
I believe you! :biggrin: Haha okies, I shall now obey to this law but question...what is the 11th/ 12th??? XD :tongue:

Jesus's two commandments! :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Jesus's two commandments! :smile:

I thought that was what you were referring too then I thought maybe she made up her own looool, don't know why XD thanks! :smile:
Original post by lucine.B
I thought that was what you were referring too then I thought maybe she made up her own looool, don't know why XD thanks! :smile:

Haha, dw, I was very unclear :colondollar: :hide: :getmecoat:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Haha, dw, I was very unclear :colondollar: :hide: :getmecoat:

Haha aww! :lol: dw about it hehe, you're as clear as can be :h: :dance: :redface:
Reply 5944
Original post by AspiringMedic8
See if I become a doctor and work as a GP, would it be sinful of me to prescribe contraception?
Problem is, I'm not sure whether you're able to pick and choose who you prescribe contraception to. I know you can refuse to prescribe it at all. but whether you'd be able to prescribe only to married couples, who you're sure won't abuse it, I don't really know :dontknow:
Original post by Aula
Sure, that'd be fine.
I can put in the general 'be nice' guidelines too then :sly:

Shall sort that for you now. Sorry was out at a gig
Believing in Christ and believing in the Catholic Church are two different things.

Please do not say that I "claim" to believe in God. Do not doubt my faith, it is not your place to.

Oh, sorry, have I been excommunicated for saying contraception has a purpose in a monogamous, married relationship?

Surely natural family planning is also separating the two aspects of sex though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, it is not unreasonable for me to assume you are Catholic as you are posting in TSR Catholic Society which is, as I've been told, for Catholic posters only.

Secondly, I am just just relaying what the Catholic Church teaches which, if you believe Catholicism is true, is what holds objectively true. Artificial contraception is wrong, even if every mind in the universe thought it was intrinsically right. Take from that what you will. This isn't an argument of which beliefs are true or false but just very basic logic. If however you are not a Catholic, then the argument still remains the same. Natural family planning is not the same, even if they both result in no pregnancies.
Catholic- X Believing in Catholic teachings- Y Individual- Z

X=Y
Z≠Y
X=Y
Therefore Z X

Anyone who wants to argue on this point cannot, there are no loop holes.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aula
Problem is, I'm not sure whether you're able to pick and choose who you prescribe contraception to. I know you can refuse to prescribe it at all. but whether you'd be able to prescribe only to married couples, who you're sure won't abuse it, I don't really know :dontknow:

But is it my responsibility to make sure they do not abuse it, or should I not leave that responsibility to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sylosis
Firstly, it is not unreasonable for me to assume you are Catholic as you are posting in TSR Catholic Society which is, as I've been told, for Catholic posters only.

Secondly, I am just just relaying what the Catholic Church teaches which, if you believe Catholicism is true, is what holds objectively true. Artificial contraception is wrong, even if every mind in the universe thought it was intrinsically right. Take from that what you will. This isn't an argument of which beliefs are true or false but just very basic logic. If however you are not a Catholic, then the argument still remains the same. Natural family planning is not the same, even if they both result in no pregnancies.
Catholic- X Believing in Catholic teachings- Y Individual- Z

X=Y
Z≠Y
X=Y
Therefore Z X

Anyone who wants to argue on this point cannot, there are no loop holes.

I am a practising Catholic.

Does the bible speak against artificial contraception? Or is it a law of the church?

How is natural family planning not the same? It also results in procreation and marital bonding being separated from sex, especially since it is quite effective.

Is it immoral to prescribe a teenage girl the contraceptive pill for acne?

Is it immoral to give a raped woman the morning after pill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5949
But is it my responsibility to make sure they do not abuse it, or should I not leave that responsibility to them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if a 16 year old, unmarried girl comes to you for artificial contraception? That's more my point/questions.

Aaaanyways. We have a new first post. Let me know what people think of it. Should I change bits of it, edit bits, add bits?

Also, I was thinking that maybe we should all decide who the patron saint of this thread/society should be. Currently we seem to have St. Isidore of Seville, but I have no idea when that was decided. If anyone has any alternative ideas, or if everyone is happy for him to remain, do say and make suggestions.

Does the bible speak against artificial contraception? Or is it a law of the church?

How is natural family planning not the same? It also results in procreation and marital bonding being separated from sex, especially since it is quite effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the teachings of the Church.

The Church teaches that natural is morally acceptable.

No, turn to the index of your RS GCSE book and look for "double effect".

Yes.
Reply 5951

Natural family planning is not the same as it uses the female bodies natural rhythm. It is about respecting the body. Rather than completely preventing the couple from having sex, it means the couple respect each other enough to abstain at times when the woman would get pregnant.

Think of it as being like only eating when you need to eat. If you eat all the time, whenever you want to, and eat whatever you want, you will get fat. This is not a healthy way to live. Your body tells you when you should be eating - when you feel hungry. It's about listening to your body, and to what your body tells you :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=49496 read clearly what this says about being a "practicing catholic"
Original post by Aula
And if a 16 year old, unmarried girl comes to you for artificial contraception? That's more my point/questions.

It is wrong whether it is a 16 year old, unmarried girl or whether it is a 40 year old married couple who have been married 20 years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5954
Original post by Sylosis
It is wrong whether it is a 16 year old, unmarried girl or whether it is a 40 year old married couple who have been married 20 years.

Really unnecessary to post this to me. I've already posted my opinion on the whole thing. My question is whether he'd be prepared to prescribe it to a 16 year old unmarried girl. It was not aimed at you.

Please be nice. This thread is not a place for antagonism, which is what you seem to be aiming for.

Thank you, God bless.
Original post by Aula
Really unnecessary to post this to me. I've already posted my opinion on the whole thing. My question is whether he'd be prepared to prescribe it to a 16 year old unmarried girl. It was not aimed at you.

Please be nice. This thread is not a place for antagonism, which is what you seem to be aiming for.

Thank you, God bless.

Im sorry if you are really that sensitive. I'm not voicing my opinions here I'm just telling you that from what you and many others have said in this thread, you are approving of things that are sinful. As a catholic it is reasonable for me to be persistant with these things.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5956
Original post by Sylosis
Im sorry if you are really that sensitive. I'm not voicing my opinions here I'm just telling you that from what you and many others have said in this thread, you are approving of things that are sinful

I think you will find that my opinion was that artificial contraception is wrong. I also, however, follow the whole 'judge not lest ye be judged' and 'love one another as I have loved you' type of things.
Original post by Aula
I think you will find that my opinion was that artificial contraception is wrong. I also, however, follow the whole 'judge not lest ye be judged' and 'love one another as I have loved you' type of things.

I apologise then. And it would seem that I am adhering to this. I am not judging you or anyone, just saying that artificial contraception is morally wrong. Your interpretation of those is dangerously off if you think I have no abided by these things.
Reply 5958
Original post by Sylosis
I apologise then. And it would seem that I am adhering to this. I am not judging you or anyone, just saying that artificial contraception is morally wrong. Your interpretation of those is dangerously off if you think I have no abided by these things.

Pope Francis has decreed that Catholics should not spend their time focusing on moral issues, that evangelising about the Lord Jesus is far more important. That being said Catholics must ensure that they follow the Church's, which was founded by Jesus, teachings.

Even if one indulges in such sinful practices, they should recognise that they are breaking God's laws and should conduct penance. Attempting to morally justify contraception and abortion is of sheer heresy, and Catholics who do so should be rightfully excommunicated (such has been the case for Catholic members in pro-choice and gay marriage associations).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aula

Aaaanyways. We have a new first post. Let me know what people think of it. Should I change bits of it, edit bits, add bits?

I spy Julian of Norwich in there! :ahee: Can't think how she ended up there :nah:

:teehee:

Also, I was thinking that maybe we should all decide who the patron saint of this thread/society should be. Currently we seem to have St. Isidore of Seville, but I have no idea when that was decided. If anyone has any alternative ideas, or if everyone is happy for him to remain, do say and make suggestions.

I'm trying to remember whether I was around for the whole Isidore of Seville choosing. I have a feeling I was, though I don't remember it :colondollar:

Maybe as it's a student room, we should choose someone like St Thomas of Aquinas? :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending