The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7500
Original post by chelseafreak
tbf to Newcastle they really deserved that result. We played horrendously and they defended really well and took their chances when they came. Just need to take it on the chin and bring on the next game.

That's exactly the problem. The fact that things were so bad even with all the manpower that we have, Newcastle actually ended up playing better than us. I'd rather we lose (if we have to) playing well and with players actually acting like they want to win and fighting for it. In that case you can hold your hands up and say at least we did our best it just wasn't our day.

Yeah bring on next game and hopefully Jose will have looked theAssassin's last post :tongue:
Original post by The Assassin
It looks like we have failed/lost the first test. A few more to go. Get it together Chelsea.

Not good enough for a title winning side, more like a top 4 challenging side we have been in recent years.

Heads need to roll Jose, don't be afraid to drop the big names that are not performing for you. Betrand and Azpi played well in midweek, Brana and Ash did not today. Time to give the former 2 a go in midweek?

Cahill is streets ahead of Luiz in form, pick the guy who is performing, their second best is not acceptable. That is the mantra you had that won us titles, bring it back.

Frank is not evergreen, accept it. Use him when we need him most, you have other options to save the ounces of greatness he has left in him.

Hazards form is in and out, time for that to cost him his place for a few games. Lets see what Willan can do. And please, cut Mata the same degree of slack that is given to Hazard, he will reward us more for it.

Just as I was starting to believe we could overcome this it turns out we couldn't (yet).

Frustrating because we can do so much better. Let us hope we get the kick up the butt needed from this and come back in style.

Better hope we beat west brom a draw would be awful.

Except Arsenal, who has shown they are good enough to win the title as of yet?Not many, plus Liverpool should have scored at least once yesterday but Suarez seemed off for some reason. Arsenal weren't that impressive, and in general play I thought a draw was probably fair.
We're second (3rd at worst by the end of the week) while Arsenal have got to go to United next week.. Liverpool play at Everton next week, while in 3 weeks time Spurs go to City. Teams around us are going to be dropping points
I've noticed one thing

-Hazard plays much better if Mata is beside him

I think Mourinho does want to play Mata, but the problem is that Mourinho doesn't trust any of his his central midfield options enough so that we can go all out attack in a game and play Mata each and every time. I'm guessing we're looking at a defensive/central midfielder in January, who can pass the ball forward confidently and quickly with bags of stamina. We don't have that in one player and if Mourinho can find that type of player in January, we may well see Mata play more so that Mata doesn't have to track back,

Mourinho's concern is that our central midfield doesn't protect the back 4 well enough like Makelele used to do, or Ballack after Makelele left so he's asking other midfield players to do this dirty work to compensate, which will consequently mean our attacking players are a little less sharp going forward IMO
Really need someone to play central mid that isn't Lamps...
Reply 7504
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I've noticed one thing

-Hazard plays much better if Mata is beside him

I think Mourinho does want to play Mata, but the problem is that Mourinho doesn't trust any of his his central midfield options enough so that we can go all out attack in a game and play Mata each and every time. I'm guessing we're looking at a defensive/central midfielder in January, who can pass the ball forward confidently and quickly with bags of stamina. We don't have that in one player and if Mourinho can find that type of player in January, we may well see Mata play more so that Mata doesn't have to track back,

Mourinho's concern is that our central midfield doesn't protect the back 4 well enough like Makelele used to do, or Ballack after Makelele left so he's asking other midfield players to do this dirty work to compensate, which will consequently mean our attacking players are a little less sharp going forward IMO

Not a bad shout, if so though, I would throw Essien in just to see if he can bring back the beast that he was. He used him quite a bit at Real Madrid and has looked good when hes come on. Essien/Ramires partnership, if he sits back with Ramires as per, being the engine in that pairing going up and down, I think we compensate for lack of defending our wingers would have to do.

I'm really likiing Willian more and more every time I see him play. Wouldn't mind Eto'o; Schurrle, Mata, Willian playing as the 4 up front against Schalke. Maybe even get KdB in the hole/wing.
I'd love to see us sign a CDM in January, but one who has experience and who Van Ginkel can learn and develop from.

Pirlo might be available who I'd love to see us sign if he's not too costly although he's coming to the end of his life cycle.
De Rossi of Roma would also be a good signing and someone I'd trust to give more stability in CDM both defensively and going forward. Much much more than Mikel anyway.

I think though our most realistic transfer target would be Lars Bender. He's German and Arsenal are interested, but I reckon Shirley could have a word in his ear to convince him to come here.

I also think it would be a massive statement of intent if we signed Lewandowski either in Jan or the summer. Perhaps give them cash plus Ba?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
It's because every time you come on this thread, it's to troll when chelsea have lost a game. Pathetic really, lack of any insight and pretty much clatter the thread with nonsensical posts in order to wind people up.
You title contenders are pretty far from the people who are first.
I didn't see you saying this when we beat city too. **** off back to your bridge.
Now wrt eto'o. If you actually watched or followed him in russia, he had been largely poor or average for anzhi. So to say that he's been ruined by us when he was doing poor in a **** league by his standards is a ridiculous statement to make.

He's probably a 606 orphan. I mean, people still use chavski as a wind up? And it has always been football fans from areas that enjoy throwing stones from glass houses.
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Except Arsenal, who has shown they are good enough to win the title as of yet?Not many, plus Liverpool should have scored at least once yesterday but Suarez seemed off for some reason. Arsenal weren't that impressive, and in general play I thought a draw was probably fair.
We're second (3rd at worst by the end of the week) while Arsenal have got to go to United next week.. Liverpool play at Everton next week, while in 3 weeks time Spurs go to City. Teams around us are going to be dropping points

We're dropping points to teams we shouldn't be -- the midtables but in this case the lower table! Combined with the fact that this period is always one where we struggle it's annoying and needs to be eliminated. I don't recall us doing this during Mourinho's first time here. The other teams will drop points fair enough (and have done so to the likes of Villa, Cardiff, etc.) but it seems to be a repeated thing with us here, which really could hinder us if we want to challenge for the title. Always this lacklustre attitude.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hopefully a win against Schalke would minimise any issues and give the squad a morale boost after yesterdays game.
Can't believe we're still second, Liverpool, Tottenham and Everton all cocking up.
We did too though. Still, we have a relatively easy run in until Christmas. The only league matches I can see possibly being an issue are West Ham and Arsenal away.

In some ways Arsenal doing very well (and possibly being top until January may be an advantage).

Wenger's pretty slow in the transfer market and if we can knick in before him to a striker or two then we may have the better firepower next year. Plus, if there still top then he may not be convinced he needs to buy someone like Suarez etc.
Reply 7511
Original post by The Assassin
We're dropping points to teams we shouldn't be -- the midtables but in this case the lower table! Combined with the fact that this period is always one where we struggle it's annoying and needs to be eliminated. I don't recall us doing this during Mourinho's first time here. The other teams will drop points fair enough (and have done so to the likes of Villa, Cardiff, etc.) but it seems to be a repeated thing with us here, which really could hinder us if we want to challenge for the title. Always this lacklustre attitude.

Tbf we've won every game at home. Away we've struggled but bar newcastle away, have we actually played a supposed easy match away that we've failed to win. Considering the fact newcastle actually have a decent team but just poor tactics it is a potential banana skin.

This has been how mourinho has been for the past 6/7 seasons. We need a better DM though and lamps is a passenger whenever the game is stretched and becomes a running exercise, the only thing I see him do in those games is get his customary yellow card.

Original post by NDGAARONDI
He's probably a 606 orphan. I mean, people still use chavski as a wind up? And it has always been football fans from areas that enjoy throwing stones from glass houses.

:lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7512
You guys still haven't grasp the concept that football isn't played on paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7513
Original post by 419
You guys still haven't grasp the concept that football isn't played on paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does this even make sense?
Original post by jam277

i think he's referring to situations where a team which has cost £150 million to assemble, can be beaten by a team which has cost £10 million to assemble (in the most extreme form) i.e. you can't just buy the best players and voila your team is great.

So yes it does make partial sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7515
Original post by bigwhalegambler
i think he's referring to situations where a team which has cost £150 million to assemble, can be beaten by a team which has cost £10 million to assemble (in the most extreme form)

So yes it does make partial sense.

Partial sense at best you mean.

Yeah I understand that, but none of us insinuated that this is not the case and that having loads of financial clout will win us every football match. We're just saying what might or what is most likely going to happen. Otherwise I can just say that wigan can beat barcelona.
Reply 7516
Original post by jam277

If you haven't grasp the concept, of course it won't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7517
Original post by 419
If you haven't grasp the concept, of course it won't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get the concept. But you're being ridiculously inane here.
All I said was that we've generally had hard away games bar norwich and newcastle(who have a good team just with an inept manager in charge), which is why we've struggled so far away this season. Are you just trying to be a windup? Or can you direct us to what post you're referring to, so at least I get what you're saying.
We've won every game at home, it's a fact, we've been struggling away from home, that's a fact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7518
Original post by jam277
I get the concept. But you're being ridiculously inane here.
All I said was that we've generally had hard away games bar norwich and newcastle(who have a good team just with an inept manager in charge), which is why we've struggled so far away this season. Are you just trying to be a windup? Or can you direct us to what post you're referring to, so at least I get what you're saying.
We've won every game at home, it's a fact, we've been struggling away from home, that's a fact.

Well here's the thing, I wasn't directly it solely as you- me not quoting you or referring to you was probably a big clue for this.

I don't really know how I can make myself clearer. The attitude on here is clear to see- Chelsea have a 'easy' run till January so, will waltz through all those games plus everyone else will drop point = Chelsea been in top in January. I mean, it's already written and set in stone right?

Only that Newcastle had other ideas and the way the league had been going this season, the league has other ideas. I actually thought I was stating the obvious.

Thought the Newcastle result would've humbled you guys but that lasted all of 5 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7519
Original post by 419
Well here's the thing, I wasn't directly it solely as you- me not quoting you or referring to you was probably a big clue for this.

I don't really know how I can make myself clearer. The attitude on here is clear to see- Chelsea have a 'easy' run till January so, will waltz through all those games plus everyone else will drop point = Chelsea been in top in January. I mean, it's already written and set in stone right?

Only that Newcastle had other ideas and the way the league had been going this season, the league has other ideas. I actually thought I was stating the obvious.

Thought the Newcastle result would've humbled you guys but that lasted all of 5 seconds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for clarifying, anyway yes league ain't wrote on paper in that sense. But like I said before, we can just extrapolate that to wigan can beat barcelona.
Newcastle result, like the basel result was a slip up which always happens regardless of who you are. Barcelona lost to hercules in 2010 and won the CL that year.
Like I said before when we lost to basel, when a team loses a game or two they're suddenly out of every competition despite still being in it. We're just saying most likely results. Likelyhood e.g. was that united will have a shocking start to the season due to their run of games, likelyhood was that we'd not start particularly well due to our run of games.

Latest