The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Donniee
After you send your application off you will receive an email acknowledging that they have received your application, in this one they won´t say anything else.

Then you will receive an email saying someone is examining your application and that they will get back to you in two weeks. In this two weeks if they require UMS grades then they will email you a short questionnaire asking you to give some extra data to help assess you.

If you appear suitable then they will send you another email stating they are going to look at your application further and will hopefully get back to you in the next 5 weeks. It is worth noting that you could receive the 5 week email as quickly as 2 days after the 2 week email or even after 2 weeks, it varies by department.

If you are rejected for any reason they will email you telling you that you are not suitable for the university. Do not panic if you have not received any emails as this just means your department is busy.

Currently we don´t have much information as to what happens after the 5 week email as not many of us have reached that point yet.

I'm not sure if this is true. I've checked 2013/2012 entry on LSE and people were receiving UMS questionnaires early/mid-November.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Mike_123
I'm not sure if this is true. I've checked 2013/2012 entry on LSE and people were receiving UMS questionnaires early/mid-November.

I had my UMS questionnaire the day after my 2 week email. It also seems like the whole process is radically different this year, especially with the email updates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1022
Original post by Donniee
I had my UMS questionnaire the day after my 2 week email. It also seems like the whole process is radically different this year, especially with the email updates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon they saw everyone on TSR complaining about how late the offers/rejections were for 2013 entry they felt bad :tongue:
Do they ask UMS for each course, I've read somewhere in this thread that it's only Economics with Stats.
Reply 1024
Original post by Blackfyre
Do they ask UMS for each course, I've read somewhere in this thread that it's only Economics with Stats.

I've applied for Economic History and haven't received anything for my UMS scores and I have the 5 week email!
Reply 1025
Original post by meekayla
Nothing from LSE yet :frown:
But then most other applicants for IR seem to share my fate, so it's hopefully not that bad...

The others are UCL, St Andrews and Cambridge (just for the fun of it :P)

You don't happen to study at the Theresianum by the way, do you?

Oh i am applying to UCL and St. Andrews too :tongue: (Oxford, also for the fun, but turns out to be a bit more work than fun :P )

Close, Sacre Coeur :smile: why?
Reply 1026
Original post by schlili
Oh i am applying to UCL and St. Andrews too :tongue: (Oxford, also for the fun, but turns out to be a bit more work than fun :P )

Close, Sacre Coeur :smile: why?

You're so right! It's actually pretty sad that all this work will most likely be for nothing. There are 54 applicants for 8 places at my college... LOL

Ah, a fellow little Catholic :P
I'm Ursulinen. I just know a lot of people from the Theresianum through the Model European Parliament.
Are you doing any interview training for Oxford btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1027
You're so right! It's actually pretty sad that all this work will most likely be for nothing. There are 54 applicants for 8 places at my college... LOL

I'm Ursulinen. I just know a lot of people from the Theresianum through the Model European Parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no, I'm actually not Catholic :wink:
I haven't checked applicants per place yet and i am not quite sure if i want to since i somehow managed to apply for the most competitive course in a very competitive college in one of the most competitives unis :biggrin: but the acceptance rate is somewhere below 10%...
No, I am not doing any interview training and I am pretty sure I won't prepare at all... and anyway, I don't expect to get an interview (for Economics and Management only 37% will be invited) plus given the fact that I am going to fail the admission test on Wednesday for sure (I just started studying for it so...)
Yeah, I really really need to get into LSE :rolleyes:
Original post by Blackfyre

Only courses from the Economics department.
Reply 1029
Hi,

I am interested in becoming an actuary in the future, however, I have decided to do an Economics degree instead and then do further study in the future if I still wanted to become an actuary. This was because of how many people complaining about how difficult actuarial science is and how it reduces your choices in the future. I'm enjoying Economics and want to definitely do something in finance in the future. My question is what should I say in my Personal Statement as to what I want to become in the future?

Thanks
Reply 1030
Original post by Ali95
Hi,

I am interested in becoming an actuary in the future, however, I have decided to do an Economics degree instead and then do further study in the future if I still wanted to become an actuary. This was because of how many people complaining about how difficult actuarial science is and how it reduces your choices in the future. I'm enjoying Economics and want to definitely do something in finance in the future. My question is what should I say in my Personal Statement as to what I want to become in the future?

Thanks

You can say you want to become an actuary since it is truth and I really don't think they mind because it is realistic. Or if you aren't too sure, you don't have to write anything about what you want to become, my cousin didn't and he got an offer.
You can maybe tell them though what this degree can do for you in the future.
Just tell them the truth, I think it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 1031

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow 54 for 8 places :eek: , I'm surprised the college hasn't said anything, at mine they were alarmed at how many people wanted to go on to study in london so they held a meeting to let a few people down gently
Hi guys,

I was wondering,

If the acceptance rate of the course I've applied for is 10:1, and I have received the 5 week email, whats my chance, statistically speaking, to get an offer ?

Thanks,

Studio
Original post by StudioBagel
Hi guys,

I was wondering,

If the acceptance rate of the course I've applied for is 10:1, and I have received the 5 week email, whats my chance, statistically speaking, to get an offer ?

Thanks,

Studio

I couldn't say statistically speaking, but I would say that your chances would be improved, but not dramatically, as personally it seems that it is only the weakest applicants that have been rejected prior to the 5 week email, and I think for the most competitive courses most people who've met the minimum entry requirements and have a decent ps will have to wait a while :sadnod:
Hi guys,

I was wondering,

Thanks,

Studio

Ooh, I wasn't aware LSE published acceptance rates. Are these statistics posted somewhere on LSE's websites?
Reply 1035
Hi guys,

I was wondering,

Thanks,

Studio

no one knows that because they started sending such email this year for the first time but from what i see everyone has received the email but TSR is usually a place for very competitive applicants so its not downright truw to say that most people have received the five week email. But in the two week email they said that they are currently reviewing your academic qualifications to ensure that you have met all entry requirement which might suggest that only those who didn't have the essential requirements such as a B in gcse english and maths or the relevant subjects at A level were rejected in before the 5 week email. But it is good to receive the five week email at the end of the of the day. I think we just have to wait and see what happens.
Reply 1036
I really cant resist. I want to call them and ask the how i should take the five week email and whether that means i am very competitive applicant and my chances of being made an offer is high or is it just something that majority of applicants received. Do you think its weird if I do?! has anyone already contacted them regarding this ?!
Original post by arminb
I really cant resist. I want to call them and ask the how i should take the five week email and whether that means i am very competitive applicant and my chances of being made an offer is high or is it just something that majority of applicants received. Do you think its weird if I do?! has anyone already contacted them regarding this ?!

You should do it! I think all of us are curious. It wouldn't be weird- you could just not give your name or say it's on a friend's behalf...
Reply 1038
Original post by smile:D
You should do it! I think all of us are curious. It wouldn't be weird- you could just not give your name or say it's on a friend's behalf...

I've just emailed them. You can call them if you want and then let me know what they said- PLEASE :h: . I tried calling the history department but no one picked up the phone. I ll let you know what they said by email. In the mean time you can call them.
Reply 1039
Original post by arminb
I've just emailed them. You can call them if you want and then let me know what they said- PLEASE :h: . I tried calling the history department but no one picked up the phone. I ll let you know what they said by email. In the mean time you can call them.

I want to see the reply to this email :biggrin: let's hope it's relatively good news for us 5 weekers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending