The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RichE
It is (b).

Original post by jadoreétudier
Could you look at G again because I still think b is the answer.

Would you mind explaining why?

It's entirely possible I'm wrong but this is my reasoning.

The standard pythagoras is a^2+b^2 = c^2

In this case, instead of there being a square, there is a triangle instead. We assume then each value takes:

0.5 (a^2), 0.5(b^2) and 0.5(c^2).

To me it would seem logical that you could double each value to make the ultimate equation the same.

ie I would have thought that

k(a^2+b^2) = k(c^2) (assuuming k does not equal 0)

Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RichE
It is (b).

Thank you.

If you call the base of the triangles, a, b and c. Then a^2 + b^2 = c^2
The area of a triangle is 1/2 bh, the height of an equilateral triangle is the square root of three times the base over 2. The area of the triangle is root 3 over 4 times the base squared. Which leads to the conclusion that A + B = C
Reply 762
Original post by BankOfPigs

In this case, instead of there being a square, there is a triangle instead. We assume then each value takes:

To me it would seem logical that you could double each value to make the ultimate equation the same.

k(a^2+b^2) = k(c^2)

Thank you.

You are right in what you write and then A= ka^2, etc. so the answer is (b).
Reply 763

A is the area not the side length

k(a^2+b^2) = k(c^2) (assuuming k does not equal 0)

Thank you.

In the possible answers A, B and C refer to the area of the triangles. I think you've just calculated the areas wrong. It's 1/2bh for the area, not 1/2 times any two sides. Hopefully That helps :smile:
Sorry yes you guys are obviously right.

I completely mistook the Area for the side length in the diagram.

That would be why I was getting such answers :biggrin:

Thank you all.
I can't confirm this but I'm fairly sure you can't just call the variable x^10 a constant when you have a "quadratic " in x.

Yeah, these were my thoughts too. Most likely luck that it happened to lead to the right answer.

Was wondering what people's thoughts were on the 2012 paper. Is it just me, or does (parts of) '12 seem uniquely difficult?
Reply 767
Original post by sun_tzu
I had a look at some STEP months ago
my current strategy is to do all 8 MAT papers before wednesday
and trinity college :smile:

you applying for cambridge too?

I have some friends in Trinity, apparently the most of them there receive some scholarships. Months ago I would be answering yes myself, but I decided to go for Oxford because of the joint course with Philosophy :tongue:

I did all the papers but still don't feel confident at all... After the STEP practicing, you must be finding the MAT really easy by now :wink:
Reply 768
Original post by jadoreétudier
I agree with all your MC answers. K you have the right answer, 0.2. But you would do 3*1/13*12/13*12/13.. because you don't know which card will be the King.

For 3.b), the slope (gradient) of the line in the question is a, so the slope of the perpendicular line will be -1/a. Not sure where you got m=1 from. for c), the algebra is quite messy. You're trying to find the two tangents to the circle x^2 + y^2 =1 (in order for the perpendicular distance from the origin to equal one) which go through the point (1,2). for d) try looking at the difference in areas you have worked out

Ohhh you're absolutely right! I don't know why I took the slope as -1 from part 1... Do you then get ay+x=1+2a ?

Apparently I made 1k) far more complicated as we don't need to use conditional probability.

Thanks for the explanation for part c), I do get it now :smile:
Reply 769
Original post by Yezi_L
I have some friends in Trinity, apparently the most of them there receive some scholarships. Months ago I would be answering yes myself, but I decided to go for Oxford because of the joint course with Philosophy :tongue:

I did all the papers but still don't feel confident at all... After the STEP practicing, you must be finding the MAT really easy by now :wink:

Okay, I want to take a look at STEP papers, but I hardly know much about it. What's the order of difficulty? III>II>I?
Reply 770
Original post by MathGirl
Hello there! Actually I'm studying something other than the British A-levels too! Yep! Let's practise more! Guess I need a bit of luck too :frown:

So I guess that you're an international applicant? Or are you doing the IB in the UK :wink:

I'll wish you good luck in advance then:wink: But as far as I've seen you're doing really well(scoring 80+:redface:)
Reply 771
Original post by souktik
Okay, I want to take a look at STEP papers, but I hardly know much about it. What's the order of difficulty? III>II>I?

That's right. But apparently it's also because STEP III includes a bit more stuff.
Reply 772
Original post by TheFuture001
Yeah, these were my thoughts too. Most likely luck that it happened to lead to the right answer.

Was wondering what people's thoughts were on the 2012 paper. Is it just me, or does (parts of) '12 seem uniquely difficult?

I did terribly bad that paper...:frown:

Sorry for the amount of posts in a row :redface:
Reply 773
Original post by Yezi_L
That's right. But apparently it's also because STEP III includes a bit more stuff.

Looking at STEP III 2013. The problems are nice! :smile:
Can anyone link me to some hard MAT level/style coordinate geometry questions? They're usually what I do worst on and they come up a lot so any practice would be helpful :smile:
Original post by Mike_Ross
Can anyone link me to some hard MAT level/style coordinate geometry questions? They're usually what I do worst on and they come up a lot so any practice would be helpful :smile:

try www.drfrostmaths.com, see Oxbridge section

good luck on wednesday
Reply 776
Original post by souktik
Looking at STEP III 2013. The problems are nice! :smile:

I'll have a look right now:wink: Which part are you doing? Those on pure maths?
Original post by tanno1992
try www.drfrostmaths.com, see Oxbridge section

good luck on wednesday

Exactly what I was after! Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 778
Original post by Yezi_L
I'll have a look right now:wink: Which part are you doing? Those on pure maths?

Oh, I don't really have the time to do a paper properly. I was just skimming through the questions. I might try the statistics section a few hours later. That's a section I feel more or less confident about. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 779
Original post by Yezi_L
So I guess that you're an international applicant? Or are you doing the IB in the UK :wink:

I'll wish you good luck in advance then:wink: But as far as I've seen you're doing really well(scoring 80+:redface:)

Yep I'm international, but I'll be sitting for the A-levels too, just haven't got round to studying for them :\ So in theory I'm not doing the A-levels because my school doesn't do them! haha

2011 is the only paper I got an 80 in! I found 2007 and 2008 easy but the other papers are soooo difficult. Good luck too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending