The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5960
Yay! 100th post...

Best I say something worthwhile though.

Original post by AspiringMedic8

Is it immoral to give a raped woman the morning after pill?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as rape is concerned, in a legal sense women should have the liberty to opt for an abortion.

That being said two wrongs don't make a right. The baby, who begins living upon conception, is irrefutably innocent of his/her parents' actions. It is horrid that millions upon millions of children have been murdered because their parents made a ''common mistake''. Conception is no mistake, the child is God's creation and belongs to Him.

Since there are rarely any complications towards the mother, one should take note that there are thousands of Catholic agencies which are more than willing to take the child in. Adoption, not murder...
Reply 5961
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I spy Julian of Norwich in there! :ahee: Can't think how she ended up there :nah:

:teehee:

I have no idea! :iiam: :giggle:

I'm trying to remember whether I was around for the whole Isidore of Seville choosing. I have a feeling I was, though I don't remember it :colondollar:

Maybe as it's a student room, we should choose someone like St Thomas of Aquinas? :dontknow:

Isidore of Seville is patron of Internet and students, so he may well be the best option, but I reckon all current posters should get a say :yep:

If people made a few suggestions, I could add a poll.
Original post by Aula
I have no idea! :iiam: :giggle:

:rofl:

Isidore of Seville is patron of Internet and students, so he may well be the best option, but I reckon all current posters should get a say :yep:

If people made a few suggestions, I could add a poll.

Oh I see. I think that makes sense and I vaguely remember the conversation now :colondollar: I don't have anyone else to vote in, since my favourite saints (Teresa of Avila and Therese of Lisieux) aren't necessarily appropriate. Even if they were awesome... :awesome: A poll for anyone who does have more tangible suggestions sounds good though :yep:
Reply 5963
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Shall sort that for you now. Sorry was out at a gig

Thank you :h:
It's all shiny and new now. I might adjust it a bit more, but I think it's pretty much there :h:

I :suith: Jesus!

Come back to us? :puppyeyes:
AspiringMedic8
:jebus:

Original post by Aula

Come back to us? :puppyeyes:

:ditto:

Pwease? :puppyeyes:
Original post by Kurama
Yay! 100th post...

Best I say something worthwhile though.

As far as rape is concerned, in a legal sense women should have the liberty to opt for an abortion.

That being said two wrongs don't make a right. The baby, who begins living upon conception, is irrefutably innocent of his/her parents' actions. It is horrid that millions upon millions of children have been murdered because their parents made a ''common mistake''. Conception is no mistake, the child is God's creation and belongs to Him.

Since there are rarely any complications towards the mother, one should take note that there are thousands of Catholic agencies which are more than willing to take the child in. Adoption, not murder...

I am completely against abortion in every circumstance. The morning after pill does not cause abortion, let alone murder. It is completely moral and in accordance with God for a raped woman to take emergency contraception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dominic101
Then you are a christian but not a catholic. Please go an get a better understanding of your faith.

How self righteous! Just remember, the tax collectors and the prostitutes will enter the Kingdom of God before the Pharisees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember, the tax collectors and the prostitutes will enter the Kingdom of God before the Pharisees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep:
How self righteous! Just remember, the tax collectors and the prostitutes will enter the Kingdom of God before the Pharisees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How can I be self righteous when I don't even profess to following the catholic faith. I'm not attacking your morality personally this is merely a matter of semantics. Just as someone who eats meat is not a vegetarian, one who disagrees with the teachings of the catholic church/catechism is not a catholic.
Original post by Kurama
If one disagrees with the Church, there are thousands upon thousands of Protestant sects to choose from, all with their own respective interpretations of Christianity. No one is forcing you in staying in one of the world's most conservative bodies...

No one is forcing me to attend mass, and nobody will force me to leave. You should be welcoming everyone to church, even those who do not agree with you! Christ himself wanted an inclusive church, full of all people in society. Jesus said "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am completely against abortion in every circumstance. The morning after pill does not cause abortion, let alone murder. It is completely moral and in accordance with God for a raped woman to take emergency contraception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it prohibits life then it is not moral and not in accordance with God.
No one is forcing me to attend mass, and nobody will force me to leave. You should be welcoming everyone to church, even those who do not agree with you! Christ himself wanted an inclusive church, full of all people in society. Jesus said "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you still misunderstanding what is being said here. This is not down to anyones opinions, it is the teachings of the Church.
Original post by Sylosis
It's the teachings of the Church.

The Church teaches that natural is morally acceptable.

No, turn to the index of your RS GCSE book and look for "double effect".

Yes.

If every mind in the world thought contraception was intrinsically right, then the church would change its views. Contraception isn't mentioned in the bible.

I never studied RE, nor did I sit GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dominic101
one who disagrees with the teachings of the catholic church/catechism is not a catholic.

Not quite as simple as that, actually. At baptism we are left with an indelible mark, according to the Catechism. So the Church sees you as Catholic regardless of your beliefs and what you practice, because of the indelible mark. So one can still be a Catholic without agreeing with (all) the teachings :fyi:
If every mind in the world thought contraception was intrinsically right, then the church would change its views. Contraception isn't mentioned in the bible.

I never studied RE, nor did I sit GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is not right or true because the Church teaches it. The Church teaches it because it is right and true. These are truths that exist objectively and are relayed to people through the Church.
Original post by Sylosis
If it prohibits life then it is not moral and not in accordance with God.

"Some have argued that it may be immoral for Catholics to provide any contraceptive measures at all to a woman who has been raped. Such a view is incorrect, however, because a woman who has been sexually assaulted is clearly entitled to protect herself from the attacker’s sperm. The Church teaches that rape is not a unitive act that requires openness to procreation. It is rather an act of violence against another person, and the woman is allowed to take steps to prevent the possible fertilization of her own egg(s). It is permissible, then, for Catholic hospitals to provide their patients with morning-after pills [in cases of rape]."

Seems like you're not in accordance with the church. Better go and evaluate your faith :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you still misunderstanding what is being said here. This is not down to anyones opinions, it is the teachings of the Church.

The Church and its views are of humans (with inspiration from the bible), so if every mind in the world thought contraception was "intrinsically right" then that would include The Church.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I just clarify that I'm not actually pro-contraception? I've just spoken strongly to defend my views that we should not condemn those who are married, doing good, loving their neighbours and happen to be using artificial contraception.

God bless

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Church and its views are of humans (with inspiration from the bible), so if every mind in the world thought contraception was "intrinsically right" then that would include The Church.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not saying that it wouldn't include the Church. I am saying that it would still be wrong even if that were the case, so it has nothing to do with ones opinion.
"Some have argued that it may be immoral for Catholics to provide any contraceptive measures at all to a woman who has been raped. Such a view is incorrect, however, because a woman who has been sexually assaulted is clearly entitled to protect herself from the attacker’s sperm. The Church teaches that rape is not a unitive act that requires openness to procreation. It is rather an act of violence against another person, and the woman is allowed to take steps to prevent the possible fertilization of her own egg(s). It is permissible, then, for Catholic hospitals to provide their patients with morning-after pills [in cases of rape]."

Seems like you're not in accordance with the church. Better go and evaluate your faith :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why so snide? It's only justified in that case so long as it has no post fertilization effects. This is irrelevant to you trying to justify the use of contraception between a married couple. Even if you have good reasons, your views are still wrong as they are not in accordance with God.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending